An Unsung Cat: The Life and Music of Warne Marsh

It is mandatory reading for Marsh fans with a couple of warnings (no pun intended). The price is steep, and some details (and I do mean details) are wrong. I only know this from interviews I gave, and how they were reflected in the text. I think the errors result from "longhand notes" instead of tape recordings.

This is a more reliable portrait of Warne than "Out of Nowhere" which has outright inventions "covered" by the "novel inspired by" disclaimer. This author has Warne saying/thinking things not possible. He may be a great fan, but not a reliable historian.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

I've read Chamberlain's book and recommend it quite highly. Chuck is right about the price, and he would know about the inaccuracies better than I, but I tend to read biographies with an expectation of such things occurring anyway. Bottom line - you get a very real picture of a musician who spent his life in the shadows, and the musical analysis is quite good as well.

Ted Brown's analysis of Warne's solo on "Black Jack" stands out for me. He really sees the trees and the forest. Also, on page 210 (the book needs the index it doesn't have), Brown relates a very intense anecdote about his relationship to Warne, one that cuts several ways at once.

Thanks for the feedback and info. I knew the price was steep - that's why I wanted to get some opinions before I had to pay for it. (I tried to order a copy through my library, but was told that there were no copies available in the NY state libarary system.) Anyway, thanks, Chuck, Jim, and Lawrence. I'm going to order a copy today.

I'm going to order a copy today.

It will be worth your investment. It is one of the best jazz biographies I have read and the discography in the back has been an invaluable reference tool. It also provides an enlightening glimpse into the Tristano inner circle. Hope you enjoy.

• 3 years later...

Just bringing this one up for air as I have been on a serious Marsh kick recently and I would like to know more about the difference between the hard and soft versions of the book before I order it.

I think I can get the hardback for around €80, while the soft version is around €40, I believe there are no pictures in the soft version. Basically is the hardback worth the extra cash?

Also, is there much detail on the few encounters he had with Art Pepper?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this one up for air as I have been on a serious Marsh kick recently and I would like to know more about the difference between the hard and soft versions of the book before I order it.

I think I can get the hardback for around €80, while the soft version is around €40, I believe there are no pictures in the soft version. Basically is the hardback worth the extra cash?

Also, is there much detail on the few encounters he had with Art Pepper?

Thanks in advance.

I've ordered the paperback version but haven't received it yet. I thought it lacked the CD found in the hardback but had an index.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Reading this right now--up only to the beginning of Marsh's association with Tristano, but so far it's excellent.

Do you have the hardback or softback copy btw, if it's the softback does it have an index, pictures? Cheers.

It's the paperback, at home so I can't check, but I think yes on an index, no on pictures. I'll look at it again when I get off work.

Reading this right now--up only to the beginning of Marsh's association with Tristano, but so far it's excellent.

Do you have the hardback or softback copy btw, if it's the softback does it have an index, pictures? Cheers.

It's the paperback, at home so I can't check, but I think yes on an index, no on pictures. I'll look at it again when I get off work.

Thanks, I've been wanting to get this for a long time but just never got around to it, and not to say that no index or no pictures would put me off, but the index thing is always handy and it would be nice to see some "new" photographs of Warne, it was another area he was under-exposed in, especially his early days.

Thanks, I've been wanting to get this for a long time but just never got around to it, and not to say that no index or no pictures would put me off, but the index thing is always handy and it would be nice to see some "new" photographs of Warne, it was another area he was under-exposed in, especially his early days.

I have the soft cover.

Index - yes

Photos - no

these editions shouldn't be so damned expensive - this is part of the lack of sense in this whole side (jazz) of the music biz. Cut the price in half and they'd sell 3-4 times the number of books. And their unit cost, in this day and age, is a fraction of what they're charging.

I agree. Best thing is to wait a while until all the unsold copies get remaindered and put on Amazon for a reasonable price. I'm waiting for that to happen to the new Jimmy Heath autobiography.

Edited by Head Man

these editions shouldn't be so damned expensive - this is part of the lack of sense in this whole side (jazz) of the music biz. Cut the price in half and they'd sell 3-4 times the number of books. And their unit cost, in this day and age, is a fraction of what they're charging.

The pricing strategy for this type of book is the following: Libraries will buy the book at almost any price. So the publisher has to estimate if the additional copies sold to the public at a lower price would be sufficient to cover the losses in revenue from sales to libraries and those willing to pay high at a lower price. When the subject of a book is a bit obscure for the general public, the aim is to sell primarily to libraries and fanatics who will lay their money down in any case.