Lee Morgan, the Sidewinder

Guy Berger

I've had this album for several years and its appeal (particularly that of the title track) is mostly lost on me. I have nothing against this type of music -- I love "Sombrero Sam", "The Turnaround", "Adam's Apple", "Right Now", "Una Mas", "Common Mama", etc. But "The Sidewinder" has a lackluster theme, a mediocre groove, and unremarkable playing from the musicians involved. At best it could probably be interchanged with other BN albums of that era.

I've been so disappointed by the title track that I probably haven't paid enough attention to the rest of the album. "Totem Pole" is much better than the title track.

Guy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not the best Morgan date by a long shot, but the title track has good hook and (wait for it) you can dance to it. Henderson is in great form on that album. I've long been of the opnion that the title track is actually the weakest number on the album and that it gets much better after that...

Personally I love the Sidewinder. Two things may help explain its popularity: 1) only Watermelon Man precedes it as a Billy Higgins fueled BN groover and it's not quite the same groove; and 2) it hit people beyond the core jazz audience who have totally different criteria and had probably never heard of Lee Morgan. Think I'll go listen to it now...

Edited by danasgoodstuff

If it wasn't for the Sidewinder, there would be no Gigilo, Cornbread, Procrastinator, etc. And not to mention Caddy for Daddy, and other BN boogalo tunes like that. The only discussion about the Sidewinder should be how it grooves, and how the tunes showcased Morgan as a terrific writer. If you don't dig it, that's fine. I don't really care.

I have never had the slightest trouble really enjoying this record from start to finish. In fact, I would even give up "Seach for the New Land" before I would give up "Sidewinder." (Downright blasphemy!) Is it, objectively speaking, one of the greatest Lee Morgan records? Who cares? I don't listen objectively. I don't try to.

I have never had the slightest trouble really enjoying this record from start to finish. In fact, I would even give up "Seach for the New Land" before I would give up "Sidewinder." (Downright blasphemy!) Is it, objectively speaking, one of the greatest Lee Morgan records? Who cares? I don't listen objectively. I don't try to.

As much as I like Sidewinder, there's no way I keep it and give up Search For The New Land............

I really dig the way Barry plays with the time on that solo. Very fuquitous.

someone please explain this one. i really like how this word rolls off the tongue, er, palette, yet when googling all i find is this entry:

Jsngry from 9/12/2003

Hey, one fuquitous act deserves another...

possibly rooted from below as derivation but he was more of an up the middle guy than sidewinder-esque. did have cool shoes and could probably dance the heels off anybody.

Fuquapit.jpg

I also get an alternative of "taquitos" which with a few Negra Modelos would certainly taste great and maybe make 'The Sidewinder' even more enjoyable!

The track that grabs me the way I guess "The Sidewinder" is supposed to grab most folks is "Yes I Can, No You Can't," the opening number off The Gigolo. That one could go on and on, as far as I'm concerned... good one to blast in the car while driving around during the summer.

Same goes for "Raggedy Ann" from the Take Twelve album. Great track, and great driving music.