Lee Morgan, the Sidewinder

Guy Berger

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it wasn't for the Sidewinder, there would be no Gigilo, Cornbread, Procrastinator, etc. And not to mention Caddy for Daddy, and other BN boogalo tunes like that.

Doesn't make the date better.

No, but it was somewhat, a turning point in jazz history. Talking about its significance, not how enjoyable it is.

If it wasn't for the Sidewinder, there would be no Gigilo, Cornbread, Procrastinator, etc. And not to mention Caddy for Daddy, and other BN boogalo tunes like that.

Doesn't make the date better.

No, but it was somewhat, a turning point in jazz history. Talking about its significance, not how enjoyable it is.

BS. Only marketing was affected, not history.

Sidewinder is not the best neither the worst Morgan.

It's the usual Morgan.

The problem with the title track is that it has been played too many times.

I like all Morgan albums I've heard

They give me the same kind of expected satisfaction

Everything he did after "Sidewinder" could fit in one pattern.

His early albums are a bit different as his last albums

I don't like it when he goes into a long and boring modal exploration

That's why I might even prefer the exhausted Sidewinder to

"Search for the New Land"

Anyhow, this week

I was listening to "The Rajah" and had a lot of fun.

The Rajah

Not to over analyze anything, but I still listen to "The Sidewinder" 40 something years after it's release. I listened to it when it first came out and I still listen to it. I'm not comparing it to anything else by Lee or to anything else by anyone.

I still dig it when I listen.

Sidewinder is not the best neither the worst Morgan.

It's the usual Morgan.

The problem with the title track is that it has been played too many times.

I like all Morgan albums I've heard

They give me the same kind of expected satisfaction

Everything he did after "Sidewinder" could fit in one pattern.

His early albums are a bit different as his last albums

I don't like it when he goes into a long and boring modal exploration

That's why I might even prefer the exhausted Sidewinder to

"Search for the New Land"

I find Lee's modal work to be somewhat inconsistent... some of it is comes across as static and homogenous--Lee invented a lot of the cliches... doesn't make his sides any more involving--but quite a bit (New Land and, as I've come to think, The Procrastinator included) are remarkably dynamic--far more so, I'd posit, than the drawn out boogaloo of many 60's Blue Note sides. Upon closer listening, many of the tracks on Morgan's reputedly 'exploratory' albums are fairly conventional extrapolations on the older hard bop school--much of New Land included. It is, again, all of a piece, and much of Morgan's most exploratory work (in 'feel,' if not in the way of method) pops up in sideman gigs (Evolution, Mother Ship...).

Edited by ep1str0phy

I'll take any of Mogie's other so-called "boogaloo" dates (Cornbread and Gigolo immediately spring to mind) over Sidewinder. Maybe we wouldn't have Cornbread and Gigolo had Sidewinder never happened, but that doesn't make me wanna listen to Sidewinder at all.

I'll take any of Mogie's other so-called "boogaloo" dates (Cornbread and Gigolo immediately spring to mind) over Sidewinder. Maybe we wouldn't have Cornbread and Gigolo had Sidewinder never happened, but that doesn't make me wanna listen to Sidewinder at all.

Maybe Sidewinder's just suffered from overexposure. Heck, I prefer The Rumproller myself. I guess hindsight has blunted the virtues of the boogaloo 'medium,' which could make for great performances (under the right circumstances).

I prefer the version on Lighthouse - Mickey Roker lays down a very cool rhythm, and somewhere in the middle they launch into Freddie Hubbard's 'Clarence's Place' (how did that happen?).

The original is OK, but defiitely not one of Lee's most memorable tunes. His brother Jimmy told me that Lee wrote it in about 10 minutes!

Speaking of Mickey Roker, I just found out he will be at the Smithsonian Jazz Cafe tonight. I hope to make it.

Bertrand.

I've had this album for several years and its appeal (particularly that of the title track) is mostly lost on me.

Try listening to Sidewinder full blast in a red 1987 BMW M6 speeding down Laurel Canyon and you will become a convert in about 10 seconds.

:D Awesome!

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but many years ago Barry Harris told me he wrote the Sidewinder theme, but never got credit - I believe him, as Barry is a very honest guy; and I have heard other riff tunes he has written (like Sun Dance) and he has a real knack for that sort of thing - Sidewinder sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would put together -