Lee Morgan, the Sidewinder

Guy Berger

I've had this album for several years and its appeal (particularly that of the title track) is mostly lost on me.

Try listening to Sidewinder full blast in a red 1987 BMW M6 speeding down Laurel Canyon and you will become a convert in about 10 seconds.

...that, or a heap of metal and flesh somewhere off the side of the SF Valley hills (I was driving Laurel day before yesterday).

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had this album for several years and its appeal (particularly that of the title track) is mostly lost on me.

Try listening to Sidewinder full blast in a red 1987 BMW M6 speeding down Laurel Canyon and you will become a convert in about 10 seconds.

...that, or a heap of metal and flesh somewhere off the side of the SF Valley hills (I was driving Laurel day before yesterday).

Well, then there's that ...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but many years ago Barry Harris told me he wrote the Sidewinder theme, but never got credit - I believe him, as Barry is a very honest guy; and I have heard other riff tunes he has written (like Sun Dance) and he has a real knack for that sort of thing - Sidewinder sounds exactly like the kind of thing he would put together -

OTOH, at another time Barry said he "invented" the piano vamp and that "made" the song.

It seems quite believable to me that Barry came up with the piano vamp. I've studied with him a lot and he never said anything to me about it but I seem to recall him mentioning once that The Sidewinder wasn't his favorite record. It's one of my favorite Lee records though. Take away the Sidewinder and it's a great record. Being from the LP era, I always listened to Side 2 and thought it was incredible, great Joe Henderson. It's probably in my top 3 Lee Morgan records. I think Search for the New Land is my favorite. As for the Sidewinder, the live versions are off the hook, I love the one on the Lighthouse CD. Mickey Roker lays down a groove and Maupin plays a great solo. I have the video of the Fresh Sound live version of the Sidewinder (it was a TV show) but it cuts off on the head of the Sidewinder (the third and last tune), which is a shame because it seemed like they were really heating up.

OK, just one more shot in this little shooting match and then I'll shut up. When the James Brown and Ray Charles bands each did an instrumental cover of aa Lee Morgan tune which one did they pick? The Rumproller?, Cornbread? No, they did The Sidewinder! * I wonder, did anyone make up a dance to go with it? The Rumproller might've inspired a pretty interesting dance too...

* I realise that the JB's version may have been too early to consider the other LM boogaloos but RC's version was cut circa '70 so they could've done any of them. The point is that it's Sidewinder that's the truly memorable tune, at least for non musicians/jazzheads.

yea right- u guys just wanna steal lees glory. lee was a great composer- homey dont play there. if thats so accurate why did u wait till page 4 of the thread 2 spill it. yea-- anyways, ill never forget the time I saw the 'sidewinder' rhythm section if you will, + charles lloyd. that was quite exciting. but alas no sidewider, they did sweet georgia brown instead

if you dont like the sidewinder, you might not like this thing called JAZZ.

:angry::g

For me, the strongest things on this mighty fine album are 'Gary's Notebook' and 'Totem Pole '. The punters heard in the background on the Lighthouse recording were not wrong...

Those are the two cuts I prefer from this album.

As much as I like Barry Harris, I'm not sure he's completely at home with some of the choppy rhythm patterns on the album, and I've always wondered what that session might have been like with someone like Cedar Walton or Herbie Hancock. (My original LP, bought when it came out, had a skip in Harris' third chorus of the title cut - I still hear it in my head 40 years later when I play the CD.)

Now, to hear Lee on Evolution is a different story altogether, and one I enjoy very, very much.

Seriously--I don't hear people say this enough.

And good call DMP--hadn't thought of it that way. There's a sort of 'stiffness' to that early studio recording, and I'd love to hear what Herbie, Cedar (etc.) might've been able to do with it (no offense to Barry of course--he's just a stone bopper).

The only thing good I have to say about Sidewinder (the tune not the album) is that its success allowed Blue Note to do many things they would not have been able to do otherwise. In a more contemporary sense, think Norah Jones.

Up over and out.

That might be THE dumbest analogy I have ever seen.

The Sidewinder MAY have sold as many as 25,000 copies before the sale to Liberty. According to Larry Cohn, both "Somethin' Else" and "Blue Train" sold more, with Blue Train selling maybe 35,000 copies and "Somethin' Else" somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 copies.

Sure, "The Sidewinder" was a hit (and a MUCH NEEDED ONE) for Lion & Wolff, but all it did was keep the wolves at bay for another few months. Blue Note was in horrible financial shape and "The Sidewinder" in NO WAY allowed them to do "many things."

Plus, Norah Jones sucks.

Edited by Allan Songer

Hey please guys, this is in no way a defense of Norah Jones. She couldn't (and probably wouldn't) carry Lee's jockstrap. Jones and Morgan are only analagous in terms of the money they both brought to the table.

Allan - Geez, did you have to be so touchy feely? I'm only opining as to what my understanding of the situation was/is. Think of it this way. Would Blue Note have bit the dust without it? 25,000 units of any jazz recording is monstrous. Isn't it theoretically possible that "The Sidewinder" allowed Lion and Wolff to keep same from their door? If that's the case, then I would stand by my "many things" original statement. Not in the context of its founders but in the context of the label itself.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

:angry:

People seem to be disappearing up their rear ends on this one. Whether you like it or not is up for debate without all the other clap trap pseudo re writes of Blue Note history.

Not the greatest tune on Blue Note...what should be??...I do not care .

All that I know for sure is when this tune comes on.........old Andy's foot starts tappin'

Good enough for me any road.

Infectious at its best in my opinion......and yes sure there are other much more lovely Morgan records but this one .........from the intro til the end has me after all these years --since I first heard it gets me movin'

^_^

Here's one "big deal" that may have not been mentioned yet: The Sidewinder is many people's first introduction to Lee Morgan, and among the more well-known, available, best-selling titles in jazz. It's right up there with KOB, Soul Station, Something Else, etc., -- I would guess that this one record has created many new Lee Morgan (and jazz in general) fans over the years.

And that, of course, is a good thing! :):cool: