Vancouver Int'l Jazz Festival

Vancouver International Jazz Festival starts tomorrow. http://www.coastaljazz.ca/index.cfm?page_id=3

I'm going to see the McCoy Tyner Trio on Saturday and OrkestRova and Lori Freedman on Sunday.

Diverse line-up, as per usual, including Bobby Hutcherson, Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, Jim Black, Nils Petter Molvaer, plus the ubiquitous Marilyn Crispell and Mats Gustafson.

r u nuts what about Yusef Lateef. isnt he comming. i would totally go see it if i could get into the damn province

Are you banned from BC?

Looks like Lateef and the Belmondos are playing the Northsea Fest over in Holland. Now this might just persuade me to hitch a lift on the Harwich ferry...

Edited by sidewinder

Didn’t make the Belmondo/Lateef concert, but apparently Yusef was in fine, fine form. There may still be a photo of him up at www.vancouverjazz.com.

OrkestRova featured ROVA with the Nels Cline Singers (Cline on guitar and electronics, Devin Hoff on bass and Scott Amendola on drums), Wayne Horvitz on electronics and keyboards, Peggy Lee (no, not that one) on cello, Jesse Zubot on vioin, and Ronit Kirchman on a six or seven string electric violin.

The deal is they take Ascension and play the opening themes, jump off to a few solos before breaking into smaller improvising groups.

This was an awesome concert and I liked it better than the CD version. Hoff and Amendola brought a faster, hard-rocking pace to the piece; they were clearly enjoying themselves, really whooping it up in contrast to there more serious-looking fellow musicians. Cline’s solo on the CD seemed pretty tame to the wall of noise he was coming up. Horvitz’ electronic effects also made this version more far out than the release.

The McCoy Tyner Trio was fun too. If Tyner is slowing down in the virtuosity department, that was more than made up for by Charnett Moffett, who had several entertaining, show off solos. Also great to see Eric Gravatt (remember him from Weather Report?) back in the jazz scene. Man, he can still play and then some...

Also great to see Eric Gravatt (remember him from Weather Report?) back in the jazz scene. Man, he can still play and then some...

Gravatt can be a spectacular drummer. First time I saw him was in '70 with McCoy. The band also included Byard Lancaster and Herbie Lewis. As I mentioned before, they were burning and Cecil Taylor was jumping up and down next to the bandstand. Great night. :)

Also great to see Eric Gravatt (remember him from Weather Report?) back in the jazz scene. Man, he can still play and then some...

Gravatt can be a spectacular drummer. First time I saw him was in '70 with McCoy. The band also included Byard Lancaster and Herbie Lewis. As I mentioned before, they were burning and Cecil Taylor was jumping up and down next to the bandstand. Great night. :)

He worked as a prison guard for 17 years and has only recently been back in wider circulation. There's an article about him here: http://www.mattpeiken.com/Journalism/Arts%...les/gravatt.htm

more or less- they said dont come back w/o a passport but i heard u can come and go as u please for a whole nother year and theres nothing they can do about it but lecture you. i just had to go more than ever cause it was the last Queen concert of the tour and there was no way i was gonna miss it. on the way up it was one of them extra-busty west indian broads and she let me in after interrogation at the desk- and then on the way back it was this asian guy and he was all: how do i know youre an american just becuse you show me a drivers licence and copies your recent phone and energy bills. and i was gonna be all: well how do i know youre american cause u look like u just came of the shipliner from ching-ching-chewy-chwey-ching-chong land. but i didnt wanna get thrown into a holding facility so i played it cool and got back in to america at 1 am, got over the border in time to get totally wasted at last call in Bellingham, WA, then i got back to tacoma 30 min. before the start of the big state bird flu summit, just enough time to shower and dress appropriately

more or less- they said dont come back w/o a passport but i heard u can come and go as u please for a whole nother year and theres nothing they can do about it but lecture you. i just had to go more than ever cause it was the last Queen concert of the tour and there was no way i was gonna miss it. on the way up it was one of them extra-busty west indian broads and she let me in after interrogation at the desk- and then on the way back it was this asian guy and he was all: how do i know youre an american just becuse you show me a drivers licence and copies your recent phone and energy bills. and i was gonna be all: well how do i know youre american cause u look like u just came of the shipliner from ching-ching-chewy-chwey-ching-chong land. but i didnt wanna get thrown into a holding facility so i played it cool and got back in to america at 1 am, got over the border in time to get totally wasted at last call in Bellingham, WA, then i got back to tacoma 30 min. before the start of the big state bird flu summit, just enough time to shower and dress appropriately

Aric, cool it with the racist stuff. I find this offensive.

i not hatin', im lovin

Suggesting a person of Asian descent looks like they "just came of the shipliner from ching-ching-chewy-chwey-ching-chong land" isn't exactly lovin. At least not to me.

How is that any different than suggesting to a Hispanic that they swam across the Rio Grande and are here illegally, or any other negative stereotype that should have ended ages ago??

:tdown:tdown

sorry Aggie i was just relating my expierence at the border but just so you know I have a great love for Thai food in fact i just had a Panang curry last night that couldn't be beat. The combination of sweet and spicy is unparalled in western cooking.

:blink: ...guess that makes it alright then!