jimmy rainey trio w/ sonny clark on Xanadu- 1954 recordings

almost got it but i got a philly cheesteack instead but should i go back and get it they had a few copies of it-- not on lp, on CD! ive never even seen a xanadu cd before (with the exception of the one w/ olivia newton john)- anyways is this good. whats jimmy rainey like. is itlike jimmy hall. would i like it. it is standards i like standards but can you chaps give me a good recoommendation on this, u guys know your stuff, right?

ps all the xandu lps i have ive really really really liked but i have a feeling they are all reissues from various labels-- this one kenny dorham memorial album i have-- im pretty sure its his TIME western themed lp--- im not pos. on that but i think it is-- the bean one i have is from jazz tone and ihave no idea where the live art pepper dates were before...but they are the greatest ever

whats jimmy rainey like.

Jimmy Raney (note correct spelling) is a master. This is a beautiful CD that was made coming off a tour so the group was tight. Jimmy, Sonny, Red Mitchell and co. play beautifully. Gosta Theselius on tenor, new to me, is added for a few things. Jimmy was a wonderful composer also and is well-represented here by his "Invention". Sonny's trio feature is Once in a While.

In other words, yes. Grab this.

okok ill pick one up next time im in the area. i just felt bad beacuse i have 40 billion jazz cds and i thought why the hell should i buy a cd thats just a guitar trio when i can listen to like 70 trillion record like that i already have- but ill get it next time i can

Not a guitar trio. It's called Together! Jimmy Raney and Sonny Clark (plus Red Mitchell and Bobby White/ above-mentioned tenor and another drummer on two tracks).

its all trio- then add a sax player for the last 2 cuts

guitar + piano + bass + drums = trio :crazy:

You probably (maybe of all people here) would know this one: A psychotic says' 2+2=8'. A neurotic says '2+2=4. And I CAN'T STAND IT!! ' :crazy::crazy:

So, you admit to being neurotic? :cool:

'How to Give Too Much Information on the Internet', by Hugo First

its all trio- then add a sax player for the last 2 cuts

guitar + piano + bass + drums = trio :crazy:

You probably (maybe of all people here) would know this one: A psychotic says' 2+2=8'. A neurotic says '2+2=4. And I CAN'T STAND IT!! ' :crazy::crazy:

So, you admit to being neurotic? :cool:

'How to Give Too Much Information on the Internet', by Hugo First

Is an admission of "psychotic" next?

Getting back to the original theme it really amazes me how there's so much music, often great or near-great, that is practically being given away---and few want it. So many new releases for close to $20 I wouldn't bother with because I know they're over-hyped and smell a rat immediately. But it's my gain, I figure.

I just bought this beautiful Warren Vache with the Scottish (string) Ensemble CD (Don't Look Back, Arbor), a real off-the-beaten track labor of love for Vache, the string players, arrangers (the great) Bill Finegan, James Chirillo, and Alan Barnes. Price? $6 and change on amazon.com. James (a terrific veteran guitarist and great writer and one of my close buddies) played it for me in his home and there was no way I was not going to not own something so special and beautiful. To my personal delight it was to be had for a song plus postage. To my great consternation art on this level is going at bargain basement prices. I guess that's always the way it's been, though. Van Gogh, it is said, never sold a painting in his life.

Edited by fasstrack

Besides the Clark/Raney "Together", a handful of other Xanadu discs have been showing up, in quantity, at low prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace (maybe also at the source the OP referred to?). I noticed Dolo Coker "California Hard" and Dexter Gordon "True Blue".