Grant Green Club Mozambique UK release

Just a quick note to say I found out this morning that the new GG will be issued in Britain a day BEFORE it comes out in the US. So the quickest and cheapest way for UK residents to get it will be from their local record shop. I've been told Spillers will be selling it at £4.99 or £5.99.

MG

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - according to the blurb I picked up in the shop, which doesn't say much, there's the McGriff, which appears to be the reissue of Solid State 17001/18001 - not a bad album but there are much better McGriffs on EMI labels to reissue in my view.

There's also a Joe Lovano - Streams of expression - I know nowt about this.

Two Nancy Wilsons - Hollywood and Broadway my way, which I might pick up sometime

4 compilations BN plays Billie, Cole Porter, Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart.

MG

Has anyone seen a track listing?

Not yet, Eric; only what's in the BN discography and that's material covering two evenings of recording. All were repeated on the different sets. Titles recorded were:

Patches (4)

More today than yesterday (3)

One less bell to answer (2)

Bottom of the barrel (2)

Jan Jan (4)

Make it easy on yourself (2)

Farid (2)

One more chance (5)

I am somebody (2)

Glenda (2)

Walk on by (3)

MG

Since most tracks are rejected these are the likely tunes for the cd:

January 6, 1971, Set #1:

Farid

Set #2:

Bottom of the Barrel

I am Somebody

Walk on by

Set #3:

One more Chance

January 7, 1971, Set #1:

More Today than Yesterday

Set #2:

Glenda

Make it easy on yourself

Set #3:

Jan Jan

Patches

One more Chance (probably ony one of the 2)

Is this going to be in the mediocre boogaloo vein of "Alive" and "Lighthouse?" Will Grant's performance at Mozambique find him soloing over chord changes--or just endlessly repetitive one chord vamps? Has anyone heard a boot of this material so far?

They weren't mediochre boogaloo albums; they were MFin' GREAT boogaloo albums. And YES ! I'm damn sure it's going to be in that vein. Looking forward to it greatly, thanks.

MG

Is this going to be in the mediocre boogaloo vein of "Alive" and "Lighthouse?" Will Grant's performance at Mozambique find him soloing over chord changes--or just endlessly repetitive one chord vamps? Has anyone heard a boot of this material so far?

They weren't mediochre boogaloo albums; they were MFin' GREAT boogaloo albums. And YES ! I'm damn sure it's going to be in that vein. Looking forward to it greatly, thanks.

MG

Live at the Lighthouse is unsurpassed for intensity. The atmosphere captured on that recording is unbelievable IMHO.....and I love all Grant's music. matter of fact I think my favourite Grant Green period is the one from about 1959-1979. Thanks for the link. Looks like they've managed to represent all the tracks except the one called Glenda. I'm sure this session will have it's own unique vibe just like Alive and Lighthouse are both different. I think the presence of Houston Person on this will make it even more so. Also no Claude Bartee.

MG

Live at the Lighthouse is unsurpassed for intensity. The atmosphere captured on that recording is unbelievable IMHO.....and I love all Grant's music. matter of fact I think my favourite Grant Green period is the one from about 1959-1979. Thanks for the link. Looks like they've managed to represent all the tracks except the one called Glenda. I'm sure this session will have it's own unique vibe just like Alive and Lighthouse are both different. I think the presence of Houston Person on this will make it even more so. Also no Claude Bartee.

No rub intended against Grant. I just think much of his commerical / boogaloo output during this period 1969-1979 was below his abilities. The presence of Houston Person on this Mozambique date looks promising--as he is an amazing soul-jazz saxophonist. But I suspect this is more of the same "Alive" type material.

But being a big Green fan, I will probably pick this up for a listen. Any new Green on CD is cause for celebration. But I prefer his blues/soul jazz and straight ahead period 1959-1966. I wish they would also release more of the rejected vault material from that period, as all of his early Blue Note Lps have been reissued.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

Guest akanalog

i kind of disagree with you, mbl.

i dislike the standard lou donaldson style boogaloo stuff, but grant green at the lighthouse is some intense music! no one is just going through the motions on that one.

MG

Yes, pity no Bartee - I like hm a lot. But Clarence Thomas played some realy good stuff with Idris Muhammad.

MG

MG

No rub intended against Grant. I just think much of his commerical / boogaloo output during this period 1969-1979 was below his abilities. The presence of Houston Person on this Mozambique date looks promising--as he is an amazing soul-jazz saxophonist. But I suspect this is more of the same "Alive" type material.

But being a big Green fan, I will probably pick this up for a listen. Any new Green on CD is cause for celebration. But I prefer his blues/soul jazz and straight ahead period 1959-1966. I wish they would also release more of the rejected vault material from that period, as all of his early Blue Note Lps have been reissued.

Having found out about the other two Verve sessions only very recently via jazzdisco I guess they would be the ones I would perhaps want to hear above all others. To find out from posts here that it appears they no longer exist is a real 'soul jazz' heartbreaker. So I guess I'll saviour Club Mozambique even more because of that. Anyway it'll be great to be able to read here how people respond to their first hearings of this historic session.

These are the tracks confirmed by MC himself:

January 6, 1971

Set #1

Patches CD 00946 3 63522 20

Set #2

Bottom of the barrel-1 CD 00946 363522 20

January 7, 1971

Set #1:

One more chance-1 CD 00946 3 63522 20

Set #2:

I am somebody CD 00946 3 63522 20

Set #3

Walk on by CD 00946 3 63522 20

MG

Soul Jazz, right from the start in the '40s, had the same objective as R&B - entertainment for black adults. So, as R&B changed, Soul Jazz changed in parallel. The most important people to develop R&B in the period between the mid fifties and mid sixties were Soul Jazz musicians anyway - Ray Charles and James Brown.

GG's early recordings were part of the implementation of Soul Jazz that equated to Soul music. His later ones equated to Funk. But they were ALL Soul Jazz. The later ones were not "more commercial" than the earlier ones; they simply equated to what black customers wanted at the time. Thus, in terms of the prime audience, the earlier material had become "uncommercial", simply through the passage of time.

MG

Soul Jazz, right from the start in the '40s, had the same objective as R&B - entertainment for black adults. So, as R&B changed, Soul Jazz changed in parallel. The most important people to develop R&B in the period between the mid fifties and mid sixties were Soul Jazz musicians anyway - Ray Charles and James Brown.

Please identify the specific bands/records which identified "soul jazz ... right from the start in the '40s".