Organissimo Blindfold Test?

DrJ

I had a crazy thought at about 4 AM this morning while trying to get our new baby to drift back off to sleep: what if those board members who were interested in participating set up a virtual blindfold test, a la Downbeat? Here's how I envision it working:

1. Like AOW, someone would be selected to lead each test

2. That person would put together a CD-R of tracks by various artists from either a) their own collection, B ) solicitations of other board members to send them tracks, or c) a combo of the above. Probably option (a) would be most popular for logistical reasons. The number would be up to discretion of the organizer, but probably no more than 10 would be best.

3. The tracks would be selected totally at the discretion of the blindfold test leader. However, it would be fun if there were some kind of "theme" that would emerge (not be disclosed up front). For example, maybe a guitarist-focused test one time, or a classic bebop era focus, or organ jazz, or something more imaginitive like trying to identify a lineage in approach (composition, playing, instrument) over all eras of jazz.

4. Once everyone who wanted a copy let the organizer know, the CD-R copies would be made and sent to the participants.

5. Finally, some time (a month?) later, a post would be put up for the blindfold test where the "answers" would be given and the organizer would disclose the theme and any other points they wanted to make, followed by discussion.

There would be other possible permutations - for example, having a mutiple choice poll type set up, where people could come and select who they think the artist is on each track from a list of several possibilties, which would narrow it down a bit (let's face it, this could be a TOUGH job!).

Pros I see with this idea: lots of fun, and a chance to test our ears and separate the men and women from girls and boys!

Cons: labor intensive for the organizer, but if we did say one a quarter, not insurmountable. Main labor would be in making the original CD-R, copying and sending it (no liner notes etc needed) would be relatively easy. Might have to limit the number of participants some for each one if it got too crazy.

I'm not "married" to this idea and there might be much smarter ways to do it (e.g. would it be possible to somehow have the Board Administrator post downloadable sound files for the test, working with the blindfold test organizer on getting the right tracks posted, thereby obviating the need for the CD-R hassle?) - but wanted to get it out on the table...what do people think?

Edited by DrJ

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now that you've finished editing it I can reply (haven't read the edit, hope I didn't miss too much ;)

I love the idea.

As the sole member who's actually organized this sort of thing when it comes to the AOW, I can tell you that this is not all that labor intensive, nor is it terribly expensive. In fact, considering that xeroxes don't need to be made, it really can be gotten done pretty quickly and easily. Also, while I haven't had to use this method, if too many people "sign up", early participants might be asked to send along a second burn to the people further down on the list.

One change in format might be a good thing though-the "moderator" should start a thread approximately two weeks after CDRs are mailed, and recipients then start posting their impressions. Only after a couple of weeks, does the moderator reveal the answers. This would retain the flavor of the original blindfold or before/after tests.

So, sign me up!! I'll be the first!

Also, as an aside, and not to sound too selfless, but I've set up two AOTWs where CDRs were generously shared. Will anyone else step up and do the same? I'd like to get a chance to share in the wealth of others!

Wait a minute-I'm a Republican and I'm sounding like Alexander. Forget I said that. :g

Glad to hear it may not be an insurmountable task, Dan! (and no, you didn't miss anything in the editing except some typos and me putting the post inappropriately under the Album of the Week heading...it's WAY early to be up on a Saturday!). :lol:

I actually agree with you about the timing of starting the thread and posting, I meant something like that but it came across garbled.

I'm interested to see if our kind board administrators might be able to help with a technological fix to obviate the need for CD-R's, but if not, I think it can be done....assuming others come on line.

Couple of other thoughts-we should probably limit tunes to maybe 6 or 7, that would simplify CDR production. Also, the provision of downloadable selections is really problematic considering the legal questions and the current approach of the industry, targetting individuals. That's why I've adopted the "wink wink nudge nudge" tone of my AOTW announcements. So I do recommend that we stick to CDRs, and also it might be best to stick with OOP material as much as possible.

Wise points, Dan. The more I think about those things, CD-R's sound like a better approach...

Lon - sorry to hear you're not interested, I was looking forward to your being part of the fun! But I do understand also.

Your post did prompt me to want to clarify my thinking on this for others: I am hoping this would NOT turn into a competition of any kind to see who can get x % right - I personally think that's good for a laugh on occasion, but not my main intent here. That's why my preference would NOT be to have voting type of posts, I mentioned it as an option some might enjoy but I would rather just see open-ended discussion.

My personal take is that when the selections are carefully chosen, blindfold tests can trigger listening in a different way and hearing things one might not have appreciated in usual listening. Connections and developments across eras and musicians in particular can emerge. Plus it is a healthy opportunity, in my view, to have one's dearly held preconceptions tested and sometimes broken down...blindfold tests can of course be very humbling (they OFTEN are for me) and as such spur me to question things like some assumptions that I might make about a particular artist or form of jazz. I might find myself really digging something and then, lo and behold, it turns out the artist is someone that I've never given a fair shake in the past (I certainly try not to be biased or close-minded, but let's face it, we all do it at times - so I say this from personal experience).

Anyway, none of this is meant to "convince" you personally of the merit of blindfold testing, Lon - I totally understand and know many people dislike them. Just wanted to make sure my intentions were clear, and to put in a plug up front for this to NOT degenerate into a kind of "I got more of them right than you did" contest! :)

Edited by DrJ

I actually didn't think you misinterpreted my intentions, Lon.

I'm probably not being very clear in my posts (been up since 4 AM) - what I meant above was that your first post just triggered something in me to want to make my intentions about the idea as clear as possible for anyone reading my post, particularly my strong conviction that it should not become a competition. That was it! :)

Edited by DrJ

And I don't really "like" the guedsing aspect of Blindfold Tests (aww, who am I kidding - I LOVE stumping people. But I despise BEING stumped!). But I've had enough experiences where hearing something completely blind, not knowing who it is, has been an enlightening experience and has forced me to reevaluate some of my opinions about certain players. It's that aspect of blindfold tests, the "unprejusiced response", that I think has real merit. The "guessing" angle is fun for some, not for others, but either way, it's a game.

I've daydreamed about this idea myself, but never took it to the level of pondering logistics. I think this would be fun, and potentially enlightening and inspiring.

I wonder if it might be a good idea to toss this idea (and all the logistics) around here on the board for awhile before we attempt to launch.

Hans, I know you've got DEEP POCKETS. ;)

To be honest with you, I'd be sending my stuff C.O.D with some of these cats here. :P

Seriously, I know what you are saying, it would be cool if it was a function of the board, but I'm sure that is tough if not impossible. I mean you can't even get on this damn board half of the time. ;):P:D:g

Hans, I know you've got DEEP POCKETS. ;)

Yeah, I wish... :excited::blink:

To be honest with you, I'd be sending my stuff C.O.D with some of these cats here.  :P

Seriously, I know what you are saying, it would be cool if it was a function of the board, but I'm sure that is tough if not impossible. I mean you can't even get on this damn board half of the time. ;)  :P  :D  :g

Sorry catesta, I mistakenly deleted my post by pushing the wrong button... :winky:

I said in my post that, aside from the merits, it would be expensive for non-U.S. members. For instance, shipping a CD from Europe to the U.S. would cost at least $2.50...

But of dubious and more risky legality.

Hans, its unfortunate that the postal price is that high, but on the other hand it would mean that European members can be the beneficiaries (I sent AOTW burns to Europe for around $1.50, and in one case, a gent in the UK sent a copy on to someone else in the UK) although I know in some cases you really want to BE the moderator.

Anyway, I'm all over this baby, playing around with some themes and selections, and I'm just waitin' for the call :)

I been comin' up with some dream track lists myself...rest assured that I will take this bull by the horns and organize something solid in the next week or so.

For now, I like Jim R's idea of seeing who else chimes in and what other ideas might come up - who knows, someone may have an even better twist or easier way to do things. Regardless, by next weekend, we'll take what we have and go with it.

Meantime, please keep the replies coming!