Lucky Thompson

Brownian Motion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my copy yesterday. I'm a real LT nut and have a large number of his sessions as leader and sideman. This release is a real treat.

I wonder who we would have to pressurize to see the NDR Jazz workshop sessions released ( a worthy Mosaic !!!)

A radio station, a producer, musicians (dozens!), heirs (several dozens), agents.... or in short: lawyers, lawyers, lawyers - I'd love to see this material officially released of course, but chances are minimal from how I understand the situation about releasing radio material.

• 1 year later...

But then there is indeed a scene in a Paris nightclub that opens with a full view of Kenny Clarke at the drums then the camera pans back and Lucky Thompson is also on stage playing tenor. Pierre Michelot is along on bass and Maurice Vander on piano. The sequence is really damn short with Diannah Carroll performing the movie title song, not by Brahms but by Georges Auric.

Sacha Distel as well?

• 11 months later...

Finally managed to view the 1961 film 'Aimez-Vous Brahms' (Goodbye Again) directed by Anatole Litvak and starring Ingrid Bergman, Yves Montand and Anthony Perkins. Heard there was a club scene that had Lucky Thompson playing in a short sequence.

The first hour went did not carry much interest. Except for good acting by la Bergman as a 40-year old unmarried woman and Anthony Perkins as a young fortune heir plus Yves Montand at some of his worst!

But then there is indeed a scene in a Paris nightclub that opens with a full view of Kenny Clarke at the drums then the camera pans back and Lucky Thompson is also on stage playing tenor. Pierre Michelot is along on bass and Maurice Vander on piano. The sequence is really damn short with Diannah Carroll performing the movie title song, not by Brahms but by Georges Auric.

Looks like the scene was filmed at the long gone La Calavados club off the Champs-Elysees. Pianist Joe Turner played there every night for years but he does not appear in the film.

There was a soundtrack album released of Auric's music but from what I understand Diannah Carroll sang a version of 'Goodbye Again' to the accompaniment of Ferrante and Teicher :(

Just saw this on TV. Great to see this band.