Lucky Thompson

Brownian Motion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck knows all about the Bolton. Chuck knows all about the Thompson. Chuck knows all about a bunch projects in the future like the KD Joe Hen disc, future Byard project, etc. Chuck worked on all these but no longer has a relationship with Uptown.

One disc of the Thompson is broadcast by Alan Grant - about 45 min.

The second is a "concert" with nice charts by Lucky. Dave Burns, Benny Powell, Cecil Payne, Hank Jones, Richard Davis and I don't remember the drummer right now. This disc is about 40 min.

Thanks.

I'm guessing the first disc is this: http://www.attictoys.com/jazz/LT57-74.HTM

Date: February 9, 1965

Label: [private recording]

Lucky Thompson (ldr), Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Paul Neves (p), George Tucker (b), Oliver Jackson (d)

a. The World Awakes (Lucky Thompson)

b. What's New (Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke)

c. Lady Bird (Tadd Dameron)

d. Strike Up the Band (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)

All titles unissued.

The only reference found to this session is in the Bruyninckx discography where it is designated a "private recording." Alan Grant is indicated as the mc. Track a is called "The World Waits" but I strongly suspect it is really Thompson's composition "The World Awakes."

c'mon Chuck, make up some dates -

seriously, though, I would kill 7 Republicans and work as a Walmart greeter to hear the Byard -

tell Sonnenblick to get it out!

(please)

Now Allen you know you're not intelligent enough to be a Wal-Mart greeter, they never hire "academics", and besides, what would happen if Wynton Marsalis walked in, you'd have to run away from him, again.

• 4 weeks later...

Apropos of Byard, how's the Parisian Solos album on Marge? I've seen it, but never pulled the trigger, cause I have a lot of Byard already.

I have an LP recorded in 1971 called Parisian Solos; it's on Musica Records--if this is the same, definitely pull the trigger, it's a good one.

For you Lucky Thompson fans, there are two Lucky Strikes albums — the first was issued on Transition LP (TRLP-21) in 1956. This has been reissued on CD by Xanadu (204)/Prevue (CD-PR-10) with the title of "Brown Rose". This session was recorded in Paris, France with several French musicians. This recording is very rare and hard to find because of the title change and the confusion with the other Lucky Strikes album.

That Transition LP ("Lucky Strikes!") is actually a sort of second edition. It's the first American edition, but the original edition is on the French Swing label, as LDM 30.039, with the title "& Gerard Dave Pochonet All Stars." (Cover attached.) This makes things more confusing, because Thompson recorded another album with Pochonet in 1956 with a similar title (and that one is in the Jazz in Paris series).

At any rate, the title in question was also on CD in the first run of Vogue/BMG discs in 1995. It's paired with a very fine Gigi Gryce session, and can be had cheaply here. Highly recommended.

post-282-1234641460_thumb.jpg

I, also, love the "Lucky Strikes" album. Like Zoot and Gerry Mulligan, he sounds like himself, but higher, on the soprano, with no trace of Trane influence.

For you Lucky Thompson fans there are two Lucky Strikes albums- the first was issued on Transition LP (TRLP-21) in 1956. This has been reissued on CD by Xanadu (204)/Prevue (CD-PR-10) with the title of "Brown Rose". This session was recorded in Paris, France with several French musicians. This recording is very rare and hard to find because of the title change and the confusion with the other Lucky Strikes album. The LP or the CD is occasionally available on eBay- the LP usually sells for several hundred dollars. It is interesting to note that the Transition title is actually "Lucky Strikes!" with an exclamation point, where the following Prestige album does not have the exclamation point in the title................. The second Lucky Strikes album was issued in 1964 on Prestige LP 7365 and reissued on CD as OJC-194. This is probably the album referred to in the quote. This CD is readily available at Amazon and other sources.

I certainly was referring to the Prestige album. I have never heard of the 1956 one.

• 4 weeks later...

The mailman brought the two discs an hour ago - this is some of the best Lucky I ever heard, and I have a lot of his work. Thanks to the combined efforts of all for releasing this. Noal Cohen wrote very competent liner notes shedding new light on some aspects of Lucky's life - don't ever question his discographical competence!

Get this - it's prime Lucky Thompson!!! His writing for the large ensemble is fantastic!