Billy Harper, "Black Saint"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this is a killer album.

Track 3, "Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart" is awesome! Great work by Virgin Jones and Billy H. on that one. Joe Bonner is a great addition.

Get this cd if you don't already have it!! :tup

Virgil's an Indy guy....very good player, not well known!

m~

Guest akanalog

there is something i don't like about the composition of the long final track on this album.

i think i just find the rhythmic um suspension? gets tedious.

and harper's cowbell doesn't help!

i love the song croquet ballet, though.

but i think because of harper's intense style, the final track just gets wearying. not because no one can play, but just the composition itself doesn't lend itself to much good.

which i hate to say because harper, jones and bonner make an intriguing combo-and dave friesen, who i dont' know from much else (many of his albums look uninteresting to me), sounds great on this one. he plays some soulful fills.

i say this a lot, but i think my problem is the drumming on this one...the guy doesn't bring the heat or mix it up enough, maybe.

Track 3, "Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart" is awesome! Great work by Virgin Jones and Billy H. on that one. Joe Bonner is a great addition.

Virgil's an Indy guy....very good player, not well known!

m~

He's also on tenor saxophonist David Young's s/t 1975 Mainstream LP--was just playing most of that on the air today, as a matter of fact. Jones sounds very good there as well.

there is something i don't like about the composition of the long final track on this album.

i think i just find the rhythmic um suspension? gets tedious.

and harper's cowbell doesn't help!

i love the song croquet ballet, though.

but i think because of harper's intense style, the final track just gets wearying. not because no one can play, but just the composition itself doesn't lend itself to much good.

which i hate to say because harper, jones and bonner make an intriguing combo-and dave friesen, who i dont' know from much else (many of his albums look uninteresting to me), sounds great on this one. he plays some soulful fills.

i say this a lot, but i think my problem is the drumming on this one...the guy doesn't bring the heat or mix it up enough, maybe.

Let's see.......you don't like "Call of the Wild ..." (over 1/2 the album, time-wise) or the cowbell or Billy's "intense style", and you don't like the drumming. Doesn't leave much.

Maybe you would be better off with Lee Morgan's final album. It has "Croquet Ballet" on it.

Track 3, "Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart" is awesome! Great work by Virgil Jones and Billy H. on that one. Joe Bonner is a great addition.

This is a very good album but definitely not Harper's best recording. I prefer his later recordings like this one:

d71940v1xk2.jpg

Edited by B. Goren.

Track 3, "Call of the Wild and Peaceful Heart" is awesome! Great work by Virgil Jones and Billy H. on that one. Joe Bonner is a great addition.

This is a very good album but definitely not Harper's best recording. I prefer his later recordings like this one:

d71940v1xk2.jpg

Well, "Somalia" happens to be my personal favorite as well, but "Black Saint" isn't far behind.

Guest akanalog

Let's see.......you don't like "Call of the Wild ..." (over 1/2 the album, time-wise) or the cowbell or Billy's "intense style", and you don't like the drumming. Doesn't leave much.

Maybe you would be better off with Lee Morgan's final album. It has "Croquet Ballet" on it.

i do like the final lee morgan album a lot. and i like that version of croquet ballet.

however i do like harper's cowbell on the black saint version.

it is just the last track really, that i don't enjoy.

Billy on record is great.

Billy live is beyond great.

The "flaws" that may exist on records are swept away by the sheer physical & spiritual energy of him & his group.

Don't miss it if you ever get a chance to hear him.

...saw him with the McCoy Tyner Big Band a few years ago.........nice!

m~

Billy on record is great.

Billy live is beyond great.

The "flaws" that may exist on records are swept away by the sheer physical & spiritual energy of him & his group.

Don't miss it if you ever get a chance to hear him.

I've never heard a Billy Harper album that I didn't like, nor one that didn't grow on me more and more deeply over time.

I can't understand why he isn't better known, or why he doesn't have a contract with a more high-profile label (BN - I'm looking at you). Or if not BN, then at least something with better distribution than what he's had over the years.

He ought to have placed somewhere in the top five in the jazz polls every year for the last 20 (or 25), and his discs ought not be rare as hens' teeth either.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wasn't this album the first release on the Black Saint label????

I've seen Billy twice. Once w/ his own band about 15 years ago and again last month when he was part of the Malachi Thompson Freebop band. Great player. Wish he would come to town more often :(

Yes. Black Saint WAS the first Black Saint release.

I would love to see Max Roach's 1977 album "The Loadstar" w/ Billy, Cecil Bridgewater & Reggie Workman released on CD (hel-looooooo Mosaic!). It's a killer album.

Besides having it re-mastered, it would be great to have the each tune that comprises this 2 LP set (there are only 2) joined rather than divided over 2 sides of each disk.

This one happens to be quite spectacular, as well.

harpercd13.gif

He did a killer version of the title track at Yoshi's a couple of months back... my girlfriend was thrilled (even proclaimed, walking back to a late BART train, "I think I'm starting to get it!"--jazz, that is. This one may last...).

harpercd13.gif

He did a killer version of the title track at Yoshi's a couple of months back... my girlfriend was thrilled (even proclaimed, walking back to a late BART train, "I think I'm starting to get it!"--jazz, that is. This one may last...).

I saw one of those shows, too. They were really ON that week.

• 8 years later...

harpercd13.gif

Seems like it has, Karl. Seems like it has. ^_^

His best stuff has always been on a whole other plane of existence to me. Saw him live at the Painted Bride Art Center in Philly in the early 90's, was fantastic experience. Still remember the chills from "Capra Black". The DVD of the concert in Poland has some breath taking moments, especially on the 30 minute "Cry of Hunger", an unparalleled experience.

He brought his group with Francesca Tanksley (and whatever happened to her?) and, iirc, Louie Spears & Malcolm Hinson to the DMA "Jazz Under The Stars" somewhere in the early 90(?). The opening act was a James Clay group featuring a just-happened-to-be-in-town Bobby Bradford, and Clay was so late for his own gig that they started without him. Those were the days.

Billy killed it though (as did Tanksley). And really, is one of the nicest guy to talk to I've ever encountered.