Making an MP3 Disc From E-music Files

sorry for the confusion

i'm trying to make an mp3 disc

Ah. Should have figured that's what you meant. Sorry, I don't use Windows Media to create discs, but it looks pretty easy -- like you pick the tunes you want on the disc and then click "burn." But as I said, I haven't used it myself. I'm sure someone else has some experience with it.

Does your cd player (or perhaps a dvd player connected to a audio system) play mp3 files? I used to use a burning program (like Nero or Roxio's Easy CD Creator and convert mp3 files to a regular audio cd), but now that I have a dvd player that plays mp3 files that saves LOTS of space (8 to 12 albums on on blank). Also my car cd player plays mp3 burned cds. You should be burning a "data" disc (in Nero, at least), and keep each album as a seperate folder, which you "drag" into the add files area. One thing on those emusic files: if you are making mp3 cds, you should edit the name of each track to get rid of the album and artist name at the beginning (but be sure to leave the track number, especially burning an mp3 cd, because you'll end up with the files in alphabetical order otherwise!), otherwise you'll probably not be able to see the title of the track displayed fully if you're playing back on a dvd player (so you can see the titles displayed on your tv). Also, emusic tends to create an artist folder and THEN the album folder itself inside that........I would go to the album folder and drag that (sometimes I rename the folder to include the artist and the album title) I don't recommend burning mp3 using the I-tunes burning software, since it seems to make one huge file out of multiple albums. I'll try and look at Windows Media player later and see if I can add anything...it's should be similar, I just don't know how it deals with folders with individual albums. Hopefully some of this helps!

BTW, did you ever d-load that Art Pepper Village Vanguard set?

Good luck!

Edited by tatifan

I just looked in Windows Media Player (I have version 10), and if you click on "burn", and then click on "cd drive" on the right side, change it to "data cd", then you should be able to drag and drop files on the left window (burn list). Look at the bottom to see how much of your 700 mb you've used, then burn. I have no idea if the files will stay in their individual album folders (could be a mess with the order otherwise), but it's worth a try. Good luck!

BTW, thanks Parkertown, for the tip on customizing the file names for downloads!

Edited by tatifan

I just looked in Windows Media Player (I have version 10), and if you click on "burn", and then click on "cd drive" on the right side, change it to "data cd", then you should be able to drag and drop files on the left window (burn list). Look at the bottom to see how much of your 700 mb you've used, then burn. I have no idea if the files will stay in their individual album folders (could be a mess with the order otherwise), but it's worth a try. Good luck!

BTW, thanks Parkertown, for the tip on customizing the file names for downloads!

thanks for the tip

in the process of making an mp3

fingers crossed

If your CD-burner came with your computer, it should have come with burning software. If it didn't come with your computer, it still should have come with burning software.

And if you lost it, some good free burning software is available here:

http://www.cdburnerxp.se (for all sorts of CD and DVD burning)

http://www.feurio.de (the best audio CD burning software, maybe too many features for newbies)

approximately how many minutes of music would fit on a single mp3 disc?

does 900 minutes of audio sound right?

thxs

That depends on the mp3 encryption rate used. I personally use CDEX with "VBR new" and "quality 3" which supposedly equals out to approx. 192 kbps. At this rate, it takes about 1.2 MB per minute of music. A blank CD-R can hold 700 MB, or approximately 583 minutes of mp3 music at this rate.

FWIW, if you use the "default" 128 MB mp3, that uses about 1 MB per minute and the CD-R would hold about 700 minutes of mp3 music.

Of course if you're dropping emusic files in there, the bit rate is their bit rate, so that's nothing to be concerned about unless you are ripping your own cds. Seems like their files can be anywhere from 35 MB per album to maybe 75 MB. I've got a couple of cds with around 12 albums from downloads, so what you said could be the running time.

i made an mp3 disc of ray charles, but the songs are not in order.....

All PCs list files in alphanumeric order. If you want to burn them to the CD-R so that they play back in the right order, make the file names track number - track name i.e. 01 - Free For All. To better differentiate, make a separate folder for each album. All players I've encountered to date can handle folders.

Myself, I use Artist>Album>T# - T_name. For example, I have a folder named "Art Blakey". In that folder is another folder named "Free For All". In that folder, there are 4 files. 01 - Free For All, 02 - Hammer head, 03 - The Core & 04 - Pensativa. There could also be another folder under Art Blakey called "Buhaina's Delight". You get the idea.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

is the slow start on an mp3 disc due to the cd player "reading" 50 + songs?

any good sites for beginner mp3 FAQ?

Any mp3 player has to go through the whole disc before starting playback. Some players are better at it than others.

Also, be careful when making mp3s. Many mp3 encoders create large track "tags" that include everything, including the kitchen sink... well, maybe not the kitchen sink... but a lot of extraneous stuff. :)

Seriously, after you are done creating the mp3 files, make sure the track tag doesn't include the artwork. This not only uses unecessary space, some players choke on this added data and create long delays in playing back any track. I always remove any album art from my mp3 track tags. It really speeds up initial playback.

Kevin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...