are some OJC limited editions going oop?

Pete B

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This board is *really* bad for my wallet! I hadn't even heard of the big Concord sale before I started reading here only a few days ago, and now, I've ordered 62 cds. I have no idea how many I'll actually get, but at $3 a pop, what tiny, insignficant, wispy resistance I *usually* mount to such an order disappeared immediately! :D

You're not Greg Maltz are you? I don't remember him ever using a smiley... :P

I've always gotten a confirmation email when ordering. Sometimes weeks and weeks have gone by before anything else. . . .

So at what point is it time to get Action Jackson on the case?

I'd give it a good 4 weeks, unless you see reports here of later orders than yours being shipped.

This board is *really* bad for my wallet! I hadn't even heard of the big Concord sale before I started reading here only a few days ago, and now, I've ordered 62 cds. I have no idea how many I'll actually get, but at $3 a pop, what tiny, insignficant, wispy resistance I *usually* mount to such an order disappeared immediately! :D

That's the spirit! However, if you're going to hang around here you might want to consider aquiring carpentry skills if you don't already have them, as you'll be needing some new shelves for your cds. Oh, and you can't have enough excess space, believe me, it'll be used up waaaaaaaaaay before you'd imagine. ;)

P.S. - The Mosaic & Box Set forum is a dangerous place.

I spoke to Jackson today, indeed a most helpful gentleman.

The bad news:

The Wallington is definitely gone :(

There will probably be more of these blowout sales, possibly in a couple of months. Nothing firm but YIKES

The really good news:

We can send him suggestions of reissues etc. and he will forward it along. Concord really wants to keep reissuing things (I know you will ask: then why are things going OOP?).

So, I will start a thread tonight or tomorrow with our wish lists, and send it to him in two weeks or so.

I know what I will start with:

A complete Dolphy Five-Spot 2-CD set in 24 bit

The 2 Mobley CDs as two separate RVGs

Any unissued tracks from the Lee Morgan Take Twelves sessions; Stuart Kremsky told me there was more tape, and I know that Lee copyrighted five extra tunes along with the four on the album.

I'd also like the extra track from Larry Young's Groove Street ('Here's Bill') which Kremsky confirmed exists.

Don't put your wishlist here. I'l start a separate thread (unless someone else wants to start it).

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Why not just add the one Mobley track with Jackie to "4,5,6" and do that and the Mobe as is anew by RVG? (And please get rid of RVG's pathetic message of him as a "medium" between them poor misunderstood artists and us... the compression the artists certainly didn't hear as part of their vision, did they?)

You're not Greg Maltz are you? I don't remember him ever using a smiley... :P

Nope. Last name's Monahan. I only use the smiley's cause they're so available! And as to this being a dangerous thread, not to worry--I lost my wallet to Mosaic years ago. I order just about everything they put out, and finding space on the shelves is part of the FUN! :crazy:

Why not just add the one Mobley track with Jackie to "4,5,6" and do that and the Mobe as is anew by RVG?

Yes, I would prefer that solution. Put the one Jackie Mac track on 4, 5 and 6 and replace it with the omitted Mobley track "Alternating Current" on a re-assembled "Messages" two-fer.

(And please get rid of RVG's pathetic message of him as a "medium" between them poor misunderstood artists and us... the compression the artists certainly didn't hear as part of their vision, did they?)

Mwahaha! :D

The really good news:

We can send him suggestions of reissues etc. and he will forward it along. Concord really wants to keep reissuing things........

Swell, here's mine:

mabern_haro_rakinscra_101b.jpg

That's currently available on a twofer.

And at the excellent Teutonic bargain shop for low price (at least it was last time I looked www.zweitausendeins.de - I think I paid 3 Euros for it.)

I've been trying to resist succumbing to the "Blowout" sale, but last night I finally slipped.

I mean, CDs for three bucks! I ordered 33 of the damn things, including a lot of K2s (though very few "upgrades").

So in about a month I should have a very full plate of music to listen to.

I received e-mail confirmation that my third order was shipping. Placed on 8/12....confirmation 9/12. Two were listed as cancelled this time: Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane and Ken McIntyre's Stone Blues. A number of others that someone said were cancelled, like Honi Gordon and two from Jon Eardley, will ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 58 discs a few days ago (took about three weeks to get them--not bad at all!). I'd ordered 62, three were out of print, and they forgot to put the McLean "4,5,6" K2 in the box. I called *the man* at Concord, and he assured me they'd get it in the mail. I got it the very next day by Federal Express! That seemed a bit extravagant, but I was glad to get it.

Now I have LOTS of listening to do! :g

So, has it become any clearer what's happening to the Fantasy catalogue? Are just the items in the Concord sale going OOP? Or is pretty much everything, including OJC Limited Editions, regular OJCs, and twofers going OOP when Concord exhausts its current stock? Won't they repress any titles?

Like many others here I have a lot left to get from the Fantasy catalogue, so it would be nice if it were possible to narrow down what to get quickly, but I realize that may not be the case, and that everything may be endangered now.

The really good news:

We can send him suggestions of reissues etc. and he will forward it along. Concord really wants to keep reissuing things........

Swell, here's mine:

And at the excellent Teutonic bargain shop for low price (at least it was last time I looked www.zweitausendeins.de - I think I paid 3 Euros for it.)

That's where I got it, too - it didn't leave my CD player for several days!

The really good news:

Swell, here's mine:

That's where I got it, too - it didn't leave my CD player for several days!

It's a real good 'un :tup

Here's what we know so far, SS:

1) All 20-bit remasterings are disappearing. If you see any you want, your best bets are the Concord site (where they may or may not be part of the sale) and Borders', which still has some. All other stores seem to have sent them back.

2) The 'limited edition 3000 copies' titles are slowly disappearing in the sense that they will not print more, and they are trying to accelerate the disappearance by having the sale. This is not true of all titles, and I have no idea how to tell which ones will go first. For example, I would imagine the Larry Young titles do not sell all that well, yet they were not part of the clearance sale.

3) The 'normal' OJCs, for the most part, seem to be left alone, unless they are turning into RVGs in which case the original title MIGHT be going OOP. Some titles remain available as both 'normal' OJCs and RVGs.

No clear pattern, as you can see. Only one absolute: if there's a 20-bit you want, get it fast.

Bertrand.