For those who download music (legitimately)

LJazz

For those who use download services like E-music, Itunes, etc., do you often wind up buying the CD of something you check out initially as a download? I've been an e-music subscriber for a few months and, although I haven't purchased anything I have downloaded yet, I probably will soon.

I was just wondering whether people generally use downloads for exploration or whether downloads are more typically used instead of buying the physical CD.

Edited by LJazz

I have been a Emusic subscriber during the "All you can eat" phase (until 2003), and I downloaded almost 2000 albums (OJC, Concord, etc) for only $45 (3 months subscription) . I ended up buying more than 200 albums I liked most, because the sound quality of those mp3s was quite limited (it has gotten better in the meantime).

But I certainly would not download an album for the full price ($10 average) at iTunes and then later buy the CD. It doesn't make sense. Better buy the CD immediately, and convert it to MP3 for outdoor listening. If I don't like the CD I can always sell it, but downloaded files cannot be sold, even when legally purchased.

I mainly download from iTunes material that is out of print or more expensive to find than iTunes, or only available via digital media; most of my purchases have been Verve Vault titles (lots more expensive on the Japanese cds they are sourced from) and Grateful Dead Download Series items (not available in the cd format).

I have recently joined eMusic and am using it mainly because I'm away from my home and collection for a few more months and it's easy to download and listen on my iBook in waiting rooms and in our little studio apartment. I'll probably buy the cds of my favorite of the downloads when I return to my normal life!

I will buy something I've downloaded it if I like it enough. I try to buy CD's before going the download route, however. I only download out of print stuff (like the Verve Vault stuff on iTunes) or random songs where I don't want the whole album (I've bought a lot of 80's one hit wonders, for example). Also, I was a Napster user back when it started and it was a buffet of everything in the late 90's. I've had a change of heart since then, especially as I've understood more about the way the industry works, so I've been purchasing legitimate downloads or CD's of stuff that I once downloaded for free, in order to do the right thing. I feel pretty good about doing this.

I find iTunes best for sound clips and random searching. Like I said, I'd almost always rather have the CD than the download. And as a result of searching iTunes and listening to XM Radio, I've bought a lot of new stuff I might otherwise have never been exposed to.