Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk cooked dogs for purchase.

Any comments on Sonic hot dogs? My wife and I are planning to bring in 4th of July dinner and I was thinking about trying one of their offerings. I know the concrete or the shake will be the highlight anyway but I've been wondering about those ...

And what about Five Guys hot dogs? Mom told last night she is craving a hot dog and wants to get one for her own 4th of July dinner and since I only think of hamburgers at that chain I wasn't even sure if that was an option but I do see their online menu includes a few options.

Those Sonic dogs are good enough if you don't taste too closely. If you do, they often have a Vienna sausage underpinning that puts a damper on my spirits. When that happens, I shift my focus to the flavor of the toppings and the overall textures. That gets me through the order at hand, but it makes for a long interval between return visits.

If your mom has a Shake Shack in the vicinity their dogs are superior to most.

I've never had a dog at Five Guys but imagine that's it's probably pretty good and would pick over Sonic.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Those Sonic dogs are good enough if you don't taste too closely. If you do, they often have a Vienna sausage underpinning that puts a damper on my spirits. When that happens, I shift my focus to the flavor of the toppings and the overall textures. That gets me through the order at hand, but it makes for a long interval between return visits.

That's an interesting description. Last time I had a dog from Sonic was while on the road and passing through Gallup New Mexico. I ordered a "premium" Chicago Dog and something just seemed off and I've not had one since.

OK, two votes against Sonic. My wife says she's had them and thinks they're great. Now I wonder if I'll agree or not.

Unfortunately no Shake Shack in Naples. Mom is stuck with Five Guys but she already likes their fries so it should be fine. Me, not so much, cuz my wife rejects Five Guys due to perceived saltiness of the beef.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

OK, two votes against Sonic. My wife says she's had them and thinks they're great. Now I wonder if I'll agree or not.

Unfortunately no Shake Shack in Naples. Mom is stuck with Five Guys but she already likes their fries so it should be fine. Me, not so much, cuz my wife rejects Five Guys due to perceived saltiness of the beef.

My son works at one of our local Sonics. The dogs are...eh. I'll get their foot long chili cheese Coney if I'm feeling too lazy to make my own. If you keep your expectations at an appropriately low level, they're not all that bad. Avoid their onions like the plague, though. 

And speaking of salty beef, the last time I ate a McDonalds burger was four years ago. I swear they cured that fucking thing in salt! Never again...

2 hours ago, catesta said:

:lol:

I forgot about the foot longs at Sonic. The chili cheese Coney with Tots used to be a Saturday late morning/early afternoon ritual for me after heavy Friday night drinking.

Because its always nice riding the porcelain tsunami while hung over?

:g

1 hour ago, Soulstation1 said:

Costco's hot dog / soda $1.50 since 1985

The Costco hot dog is my favourite hot dog ever, £1.50 here. 

Talking of 5 Guys, we went on Saturday - it was undoubtedly a top-notch burger, but at over £40 for four of us (2 adults, 2 children) it's a once-a-year job.

1 hour ago, catesta said:

While on the subject of shit tsunamis, for me the biggest mistake I ever made was thinking it was a good idea to do the drive thru at Taco Bueno in Amarillo.

There's a whole Bell vs. Bueno thing in these parts that I just don't get. Say what you will about Bell, at least it doesn't taste like it was stepped on by some nasty-ass kitchen shoe.

My daughter is very pro-Bueno, but that just goes to show you that love conquers all (my wife being a salter of watermelon & cantaloupe being another).

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

There's a whole Bell vs. Bueno thing in these parts that I just don't get. Say what you will about Bell, at least it doesn't taste like it was stepped on by some nasty-ass kitchen shoe.

My daughter is very pro-Bueno, but that just goes to show you that love conquers all (my wife being a salter of watermelon & cantaloupe being another).

???

You don't put salt on water melons or cantaloupes? What is this madness?!