Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest

I switched to vinegar/oil/herbs at first just looking for a healthier alternative to mayo. Come to find out, I preferred the flavor and the texture, more tang, less goo. On subs, mind you, not on, like "regular" bread, that would be crazy, the bread wouldn't hold up. For that, mayo. But a sub, yeah, that's where I go. And for PB&J, neither.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

That's the Italian influence. I like it myself, have always had it on subs. I grew up in Philadelphia where "hoagies" are sold. . . there was a neighborhood sub place that every now and then the last few years we were there I was tasked with going and getting hoagies for dinner, special occasion (boy did I grow up poor!) I would walk three or four blocks  home and stick my nose in the bag and smell the herbs and the oil and vinegar they put on those excellent hoagies. That became a smell I loved and still do. In Austin the closest to those sandwiches of my youth I found were from a (chain I think) called Hog Island. Here in Chardon, Ohio the closest is the Jersey Mike's #13. . . but it's not as close or as good as the Hog Island "Old Italian." (I really miss food in Austin a LOT).

I've never been to Austin and I'd have guessed that you miss the food there!

So I guess the preference for dry (relatively speaking) sandwiches comes from my associating them with NY Delis. No Italian influence there.

Well that makes sense. I have little experience with NYC style delis. . . but do like some of those style sandwiches a lot. As one of my former partners would say "You and sandwiches! You never get tired of them!" She was like that with popcorn,

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...