Prestige RVGs

cayetano

MG, Groucho Marx hosted a quiz show called You Bet Your Life, which was a little bit of quiz with a whole lot of Groucho comments. If the contestants didn't win any money, he would offer them a consolation prize if they could answer an obvious question.

Others that come to mind are:

What do you shoot with an elephant gun?

What was the occupation of the famous painter Rembrandt? (I remember the contestants having a problem with that one!)

Once Groucho supposedly said to a woman with 12 children "I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth occasionally".

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MG, Groucho Marx hosted a quiz show called You Bet Your Life, which was a little bit of quiz with a whole lot of Groucho comments. If the contestants didn't win any money, he would offer them a consolation prize if they could answer an obvious question.

Others that come to mind are:

What do you shoot with an elephant gun?

What was the occupation of the famous painter Rembrandt? (I remember the contestants having a problem with that one!)

Once Groucho supposedly said to a woman with 12 children "I love my cigar but I take it out of my mouth occasionally".

I only know Groucho from his films, of course. Thanks folks.

MG

• 2 months later...

Prayer Meeting and Rockin' the Boat come immediately to mind, especially given that CHICKEN SHACK and MIDNIGHT SPECIAL have yet to see the RVG treatment.

What's wrong with the old Chicken Shack/Midnight Special discs?

And The Sounds of Jimmy Smith? That was the weakest disc in the Mosaic! How come AT THE ORGAN or A DATE WITH didn't get similar treatment? Those are FAR superior! At The Organ, Volume 3? Without 1 or 2?

Yeah, I don't get that either. I can't find that Mosaic box anywhere for a halfway decent

price and they start reissuing the material with the least interesting of the discs - annoying!

I thought Groucho made the cigar comment to the husband of said mother of 12...(?)

The other part of the legend as i heard it is that said lewd comment got the show cancelled.

Or, to put this back on sort of a jazz footing (!), there is Paul Desmond's legendary story about the security guy at the fair where they were about to play. He stopped their car and asked them who they were. "The Dave Brubeck Quartet," they answered. He looked at his paperwork and asked, "How many in the Quartet?"

Desmond always intended to use that as the title of his autobiography, but sadly, never got around to writing it.

I love that line.

Greg M.

I thought Groucho made the cigar comment to the husband of said mother of 12...(?)

The other part of the legend as i heard it is that said lewd comment got the show cancelled.

Or, to put this back on sort of a jazz footing (!), there is Paul Desmond's legendary story about the security guy at the fair where they were about to play. He stopped their car and asked them who they were. "The Dave Brubeck Quartet," they answered. He looked at his paperwork and asked, "How many in the Quartet?"

Desmond always intended to use that as the title of his autobiography, but sadly, never got around to writing it.

I love that line.

Greg M.

Security man was obviously a fan of Gospel quartets includinf the "Original Five Blind Boys of Alabama"

five_blind_boys_alabama_-_take_my_hand_precious_lord.jpg

MG

I love that line.

Greg M.

Or was that a stewardess? I think I read that in some liner notes on one of his A&M albums.

i think VERY little regard for the whole enterprise, layout included, except that "RVG" (ooooh) discs and all the other $11.99 list sides do go on sale for $6.99 sometimes.

i do NOT condone age-ism but Rudy needs to get the fuck out of the way already; his "legacy" was superb & assured before, all this shrill (depends on yr system-- reverse polarity, stick yr ass out & shake yr head left & right really fast for a minute & it is all great) hit/miss fiddling diminishes it significantly and wastes EVERYONE's time. i don't care (but am glad) he gets it right, or better than before anyway once in a while, the marketing of RVG digital mystique is a sham & half a travesty.

come back Mr K2, all is forgiven, RVG in the deadwax too... this shit is just one more example of the degraded (in every sense, except that $6.99 sale price) times we live in.

c (not an original debunker but happy to pile on)

have no idea why this kind of trash is allowed on this board or why this pig of a person is allowed to continue posting his filthy rantings.

I love that line.

Greg M.

The way I read it the question was asked by a stewardess! :) Mosaic booklet was my source. Edited by jazzbo

I love that line.

Greg M.

Security man was obviously a fan of Gospel quartets includinf the "Original Five Blind Boys of Alabama"

five_blind_boys_alabama_-_take_my_hand_precious_lord.jpg

MG

As far back as grade school I can remember a Three Tenors poster with four tenors on it. A lot of bewildered, snot-nosed kids that day.

i think VERY little regard for the whole enterprise, layout included, except that "RVG" (ooooh) discs and all the other $11.99 list sides do go on sale for $6.99 sometimes.

i do NOT condone age-ism but Rudy needs to get the fuck out of the way already; his "legacy" was superb & assured before, all this shrill (depends on yr system-- reverse polarity, stick yr ass out & shake yr head left & right really fast for a minute & it is all great) hit/miss fiddling diminishes it significantly and wastes EVERYONE's time. i don't care (but am glad) he gets it right, or better than before anyway once in a while, the marketing of RVG digital mystique is a sham & half a travesty.

come back Mr K2, all is forgiven, RVG in the deadwax too... this shit is just one more example of the degraded (in every sense, except that $6.99 sale price) times we live in.

have no idea why this kind of trash is allowed on this board or why this pig of a person is allowed to continue posting his filthy rantings.

To quote Nessa: "I like Clem. :) "

I like Clem too. Don't always agree with him, but he's almost always worth reading.

I like Clem too. Don't always agree with him, but he's almost always worth reading.

If he has something worth saying, he would be smarter to say it without the juvenile fuck and ass garbage and could do with a little basic english grammar and punctuation would be nice in the company of those over 13. This guy is a prime example of the degraded kind of trash that passes for communication today, and that some here actually think it's ok just confirms how low standards have sunk to.

Ah well, anyways ....fuck it. Enough of this shit for tonight, huh.

Well I see both points here about Clem's posts. There is always thought behind them, but I do find them generally to be a little confrontational and occasionally arrogant, but maybe that says more about me than it does about Clem. But, if for the sake of argument those characteristics were true, then we all have preferences in the writing we like to read- some like confrontational/I don't need to follow traditional grammar, some don't. The mojo hand (fist) is a well chosen avatar. I prefer the Sangrey style myelf, but any kind of passion for music is always appreciated by someone who knows what they are talking about and then it's just a matter on whether you agree.

I'm new here and don't know what's robert h.'s beef with you (judging by his personal attack on you), but I happen to agree with you regarding RVG CDs, especially the early ones (bright and thin). I found that idea of picking the components or switching the polarity for making them sound better is silly. Good CDs should sound good without any tricks.

Personally, I don't even believe that any big-name company would trust an 80 yo man to do the remastering job. I suspect after the first RVGs they replaced him, and now he gets his share by selling his name.

I don't think the Prestige RVG series will be nearly as popular as the Blue Note RVG seies, although the whole concept has been copied (including the design of the back covers). The market situation is different.

Many of the Blue Note RVG reissues were long awaited, because most albums have been available on CD only once (some never, some twice, on McMaster and Connoisseur), and many of those went OOP some time later. So the RVGs marked the reappearance of those albums in the stores.

All of the albums Concord now reissues as RVGs have always remained in print, and many of them have been reissued with new remastering several times already in the recent years (K2, SACD, XRCD). There are too many remakes.

That's why I don't feel tempted by the Prestige RVGs, except for the few albums I don't have in my collection yet. This has nothing to do with the fact that Rudy Van Gelder remastered them. The two RVGs I've heard so far (Quiet Kenny, Red Garland's Piano) sound fine (I have not compared them to other versions).

The two RVGs I've heard so far (Quiet Kenny, Red Garland's Piano) sound fine (I have not compared them to other versions).

Except that on "Red Garland's Piano", at 9:10 on the first track, the (mono) sound shifts from the middle to the left for 10 seconds. My CD is made in the EU. Is that glitch also present on the US pressing?

Edited by Claude