LF Duke Ellington "Unknown Session"

I dunno, man, you can get the LP for 6 bucks on eBay. The music's the same and so are the liner notes. Throw in another 20 cents for a blank CDR and how much ever more you want to spend on photocopying the cover, and that's a pretty good deal in terms of both price and immediate gratification.

Plus, you'll have the original original! ;)

I dunno, man, you can get the LP for 6 bucks on eBay. The music's the same and so are the liner notes. Throw in another 20 cents for a blank CDR and how much ever more you want to spend on photocopying the cover, and that's a pretty good deal in terms of both price and immediate gratification.

This thread (more exactly its predecessor) caused me to burn a copy of my "original". What a wonderful date. I do wish to disagree with an assessment of the date as being similar to the "Spacemen" date. For me it has a very different feel. The tune selection, Nance, Hodges, Carney and (especially) Mr Lawrence Brown are a different kettle of fish. Beautiful!

This thread (more exactly its predecessor) caused me to burn a copy of my "original". What a wonderful date. I do wish to disagree with an assessment of the date as being similar to the "Spacemen" date. For me it has a very different feel. The tune selection, Nance, Hodges, Carney and (especially) Mr Lawrence Brown are a different kettle of fish. Beautiful!

Okay, to clarify I just meant it was closer to that date than say Such Suite Thunder or Piano in the Background.

I like it. . . I haven't heard it in a long time. . . can't rectify that for a while. . . wish it would come out in an expanded edition. (I bet there's more!)

Ah, who would be surprised that Lawrence Brown swears? :D No sensationalist controversy there. He's the son of a preacher man, they all swear!

(Takes one. . . to know one).

I'd love if it were in the can and came out. . . but I want "A Drum is A Woman" (which WAS in the can) to come out first!

Hey, the leader of our high school jazz band -- Bill Brimfield among the trumpets, Steve Bagby the drummer, Ann Margret (!) the vocalist -- was bassist Bruce Anderson, son of the then-head of Illinois Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, the Rev. O.V. Anderson. The Rev. Anderson was one fearsome dude -- a dour, towering figure who loathed jazz and, so it seemed, any form of pleaurable activity. BTW, Bruce, who was and still is a darn good bassist, went on to become a Lutheran minister himself; his church is in Morton Grove, Ill. Also BTW, when I say high school jazz band, this was before the stage band thing and school sponsorship -- it was just the guys from New Trier H.S. (and some from nearby Evanston H.S., like Brimfield) who wanted to play jazz.

• 11 years later...

I realize this thread is now 12 years old, but if anybody’s still looking to track down Unknown Session, it’s included as an individual CD in the Ellington Columbia 1959-61 Studio Album Collection box. I picked it up new for about $28 off an eBay seller just to get Unknown Session and The Girls Suite, which is included as a bonus on the Nutcracker Suite CD. Halfway through Unknown Session and have to second all previous assessments of it as beautiful.