"Studio Jams" on BET Jazz

Soul Stream

I've seen about 4 episodes. Pretty interesting stuff in a way. Odd combinations of musicians, although Bela Fleckl and Pat Martino actually meshed pretty well (although they were teamed with some "smooth Jazz" trumpeter!!????.) But Joey Defrancesco, Tuck Andress, Derek Trucks with Victor Wooten and "Future Man?" They also had the Yellowjackets as a whole, but with a wierd guitarist who I didn't dig very much.

I guess this is produced in Philly. Hence, maybe that's why I keep seeing Wooten and "Future Man." But Future needs to go. His drumming is downright bad at times in certain contexts. You'd think there's no drummers in Philly. And I could do without Wooten even though he seems like a good musician. But give me some standup please and more pocket.

Anybody else see this. Kind of a cool idea. I could do without the "let's put 'different' kinds of musicians together and see what happens" thing.

Edited by Soul Stream

I have 2 free months of digital cable, so I've watched Studio Jams. Yesterday Stanley Jordan was on, with Tom Coffin from Bela's group, Vic Wooten and Future Man,with some guy who worked with Grover. I used to enjoy SJ's good records, but I got rid of them. As a whole I'm not that impressed with BET On Jazz, namely their Jazz in the Sun, and other programs have not a lot of jazz content, mostly smooth and R&B.

I have 2 free months of digital cable, so I've watched Studio Jams. Yesterday Stanley Jordan was on, with Tom Coffin from Bela's group, Vic Wooten and Future Man,with some guy who worked with Grover. I used to enjoy SJ's good records, but I got rid of them. As a whole I'm not that impressed with BET On Jazz, namely their Jazz in the Sun, and other programs have not a lot of jazz content, mostly smooth and R&B.

Yeah, BET jazz pretty lame overall. However, it DOES have some GREAT stuff on occassion. You just have to keep surfing it. But, like you said, most of the time it's smooth jazz on a beach in the bahamas.

Which brings up the question, can smooth jazz be played somewhere besides an outdoor festival or a beach?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've seen about 4 episodes. Pretty interesting stuff in a way. Odd combinations of musicians, although Bela Fleckl and Pat Martino actually meshed pretty well (although they were teamed with some "smooth Jazz" trumpeter!!????.) But Joey Defrancesco, Tuck Andress, Derek Trucks with Victor Wooten and "Future Man?" They also had the Yellowjackets as a whole, but with a wierd guitarist who I didn't dig very much.

I guess this is produced in Philly. Hence, maybe that's why I keep seeing Wooten and "Future Man." But Future needs to go. His drumming is downright bad at times in certain contexts. You'd think there's no drummers in Philly. And I could do without Wooten even though he seems like a good musician. But give me some standup please and more pocket.

Anybody else see this. Kind of a cool idea. I could do without the "let's put 'different' kinds of musicians together and see what happens" thing.

"although Bela Fleck and Pat Martino actually meshed pretty well (although they were teamed with some "smooth Jazz" trumpeter!!????.) "

-Perhaps Chris Boti on trumpet? He shows some promise at times.

"But Joey Defrancesco, Tuck Andress, Derek Trucks with Victor Wooten and "Future Man?""

-Pretty crazy lineup there. Tuck and Trucks are at opposite sides of the spectrum. Joey fits in with anybody, never a problem there, as does Mr Wooten.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool show. Here are all the episodes...

Tuck Andress & Joey DeFrancesco

with Victor Wooten, Roy Wooten, Jeff Coffin, Kofi Burbridge, Derek Trucks

Bela Fleck & Pat Martino

with Gerald Veasley, Rick Braun and Rayford Griffin

Yellowjackets

with Doc Gibbs and Andrei Ryabov

Stanley Jordan

with Victor Wooten, Roy Wooten, Jeff Coffin and Bill Jolly

Pieces of a Dream

with Gerald Veasley, Richie Cole, Ray Vega and Hector Rosado

Larry Carlton & Joey DeFrancesco

with Gerald Veasley, Chris Farr, Emedin Rivera and Byron Landham

Vernon Reid

with Oteil Burbridge, Derek Trucks, Jeff Coffin, Kofi Burbridge and Yonrico Scott

Jeff Lorber

with Nate Phillips, Joel Taylor, Michael Paulo and Edgardo Cintron

Michael Wolff

with John. B Williams, Victor Jones, Mark Douthit and Badal Roy

Jackie King

with Mickey Raphael, Bee Spears, Jay Davidson, Billy English and Bob Miles

I wonder what they do with the recordings, anyone know?

Leanne