Happy Birthday Louis Armstrong!

jazzbo

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/louis-armstrong-birthday-broadcast-sunday-august-4th-all-day

To celebrate the real 112th birthday of Louis Armstrong, Sunday August 4th, we will preempt all regular programming from 12am on August 4th for 24 hours to feature his music. Tune in at midnight on Saturday for the start of the broadcast, and keep listening until Sunday at midnight!

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I watched High society again over the weekend...in so many ways, nothing to do with Louis Armstrong, in so many ways, definitive Louis Armstrong...I'm to the point now to where I don't care how dreadful/contrived/corney/show-biz/whatever-negative the environs are (and High Society is actually pretty fine, really, Bing Crosby hippest white guy ever? not cool, but hip), whenever Louis Armstrong is there, I'm happy to see him, and less happy when he leaves.

The man was, and in death remains, a life-force for the ages. I'd be all for making his birthday a secular/religious holiday like Christmas.

• 11 months later...
On 8/4/2015 at 8:25 AM, JSngry said:

I watched High society again over the weekend...in so many ways, nothing to do with Louis Armstrong, in so many ways, definitive Louis Armstrong...I'm to the point now to where I don't care how dreadful/contrived/corney/show-biz/whatever-negative the environs are (and High Society is actually pretty fine, really, Bing Crosby hippest white guy ever? not cool, but hip), whenever Louis Armstrong is there, I'm happy to see him, and less happy when he leaves.

The man was, and in death remains, a life-force for the ages. I'd be all for making his birthday a secular/religious holiday like Christmas.

Yeah, even though it's corny, I've always enjoyed that Satch sequence. 'Course, I love the "Did You Evah" duet with Sinatra too. Satch is immortal.

gregmo

• 11 months later...