Cleaning LPs

Daniel A

I'm sure this has been discussed at some point on several other jazz boards, but not (yet) over here...

Which is the best way of keeping LPs dust-free, besides any expensive vacuum gear? I'm following the recommendation I was once given to just 'play' my records clean (my LPs are fairly clean) so that the small amount of dust which is present on the surface is collected on the needle. I'm beginning to worry that this may damage the needle, so I though I would get a definitive statement from the vinyl collectors around here once and for all.

The reason I'm not using a soft cloth or something similar (perhaps with a small amount propylene acohol and destilled water added) is that it is my experience it adds a some static electricity to the LP, which will be heard as pops, even though the surface looks perfectly clean. Perhaps this is wrong? What do you think?

Guest GregM

Well after hearing some of my vinyl before and after a good cleaning with the VPI record cleaner (including new vinyl), I'd have to say there is no substitute for a hard scrubbing/vacuuming. Beyond that I use the Audioquest brush and "goo" that the needle is dipped into to clean off the dust. I'll have to check the name of the "goo" when I go home, if anyone's interested--can't remember it at the moment.

It's not the dust on surface of record that I'd be worried about. It's the particles in the grooves. The best non-machine cleaning is done with Disc Doctor brushes/fluid. Besides distilled water and alcohol, you need a surfactant(sp) to allow solution to get into grooves(breaks down molecules).

How do you clean your stylus? A dirty stylus is not good.

Actually, the Disc Doctor method is the only exception to needing a vacuum I've found. And many feel it does a better job.

Have you used a record cleaning machine[rcm] after cleaning with the Disc Doctor and compared it to using Disc Doctor alone? Makes a world of difference.

If you're going to make your own cleaning solution make sure you use denatured alcohol to mix with distilled h2o-denatured is pure and will not damage your vinyl (of course you must never use alcohol on 78's, as it destroys shellac!). You can get a pint of denatured at any drugstore for about $6, and this will make a LOT of cleaner. Another great item for really grungey lps is the record cleaning sponge that Bags Unlimited sells-does not scratch 'em!

B)

How important is this goo to your stylus? I've just been using a soft brush to give it a gentle wipe occasionally. To be honest, I'm a little freaked about about by cartridge coming in contact with goo. Is my paranoia doing my vinyl a disservice?

Guest GregM

If you feel you're getting the gunk off your stylus with your current method, there's no reason to get the goo. The cartridge doesn't come into contact with the goo. The goo just stays in it's container, you lower the stylus onto it and then lift it out. The gunk sticks to the goo and the stylus is cleaned. It's quick and easy and there is no danger.

Edited by GregM