Another Ebay Alert

I received an email, allegedly from Ebay about problems with my account, asking me to click on something called the Ebay Billing Center. This is fraudulent. Don't click into this. I checked my account with ebay and it's just fine. Be extra careful when you get emails like this. It bears repeating from time to time.

You know, all of the warnings I've seen made me extremely anxious when I got a message from ebay about my expiring credit card. Fortunately I recognized the last five digits and rememberd that I had just received a replacement card. But I didn't trust the link I had gotten so I went directly to the Ebay site and although the navigation was a pain in the ass, I did ultimately become convinced that indeed, the message was legit and the card on file was expiring so I gave them the numbers.

Definitely a pain but I guess its good to be so doubtful when these messages show up.

Brad, I received the same e-mail and two additional ones all purporting to be from Ebay. I forwarded all of them to spoof@ebay.com as I do now with any e-mail claiming to be from Ebay, whether I think it might be genuine or not. You really cannot be too safe; even the properties of the e-mail addresses would make you think they really were from eBay. I also finally changed my user ID so that it is no longer my e-mail address. Hopefully that will help. Anyway, as you say, people really should be very careful and never give any information in response to an e-mail. Just go to the website.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is the text from a really stupid "ebay" email....man, they could at least try ! (there is a nice photo of a Mercedes at the bottom of the email. :rolleyes:WIN A GREAT PRIZE

WIN THE BEST CAR Mercedes-Benz CLK offered by EBAY.COM

Congratulation!

EBAY OFFER THIS MONTH A GREAT PRIZE FOR MEMBERS

All you need to do is to

Click Here

login in your account and enter this number

48nd3sak4wd

in the key box .

Thank you for choosing

EBAY.COM

THE EBAY.COM TEAM

All delivery costs supported by MSN

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT OR CLICK ON THE CAR

Be rational. Listen to your heart

A Formula 1 race through the winding streets of a small

town on the Côte d'Azur? A positively insane idea - but one

that turned out to be highly successful, putting the name of

one little resort well and truly on the world map: Monte Carlo,

a place of passion - and proof that ideas which appeal

to the emotions are often the most rational, too.

Edited by BERIGAN