For Old and Current BMG Music Members

LJazz

Don't know if people saw this or not, but evidently there was a settlement with BMG in a class action suit regarding shipping charges and BMG has agreed to allow current and ex-members who have incurred any shipping charges between 1998 and 2006 to purchase 2 or 3 CDs (depending upon status) for an 80% discount off with no shipping.

See here if you are a former member: http://www.bmgmusic.com/stelkcase/?site=stelkcase

Or here if you are a current member:

http://www.bmgmusic.com/email/member/force...ExplicitEnd=yes

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if people saw this or not, but evidently there was a settlement with BMG in a class action suit regarding shipping charges and BMG has agreed to allow current and ex-members who have incurred any shipping charges between 1998 and 2006 to purchase 2 or 3 CDs (depending upon status) for an 80% discount off with no shipping.

See here if you are a former member: http://www.bmgmusic.com/stelkcase/?site=stelkcase

Or here if you are a current member:

http://www.bmgmusic.com/email/member/force...ExplicitEnd=yes

I did this before with Columbia House.

And you know my net result?

Nothing.

I never got one single CD.

Just in case anyone had doubts, I just received confirmation that my 3 CDs that I ordered with the class action claim form were shipped! :) Total cost with tax came to $11.61. Not quite Concord prices, but pretty good -- and I didn't have to order another 30 CDs either! :g

Agree with Chuck here. It's not like BMG (or CH before them) kept it a secret that you had to pay shipping and handling for each disc you bought. If smart, one could work their system to your (the consumer's) advantage; if not, well, buying from them saved you a trip to the store.

I was a member of both the classical and jazz clubs for a number of years. I understood the deal with "shipping and handling" and will live with it. It was a good deal for consumers, nomatter how the money was split. Did not file.

I did jump to Yourmusic when I had the opportunity.

Chuck,

I agree with you 100%. I certainly new what the deal was/is and had/have no complaints. It's a good deal even with the shipping in most cases. However, under the terms of the settlement of the class action suit (which, just for the record, I had no part in whatsoever nor was I even aware of until recently and after the settlement was reached), if BMG doesn't get a certain amount of takers, they are required to go back to those who did file and offer them more discounted CDs until the total value of the discounts in the aggregate/cost to BMG reaches a specific dollar amount (I don't recall how much off hand). It just seemed to me that if they are required to essentially give this stuff away at 80% off anyway there was no reason, moral or otherwise, not to take part. I don't condone actions of this sort, but given the court order it didn't seem to me that not claiming the discounted CDs would benefits BMG in any way.

I was a member of both the classical and jazz clubs for a number of years. I understood the deal with "shipping and handling" and will live with it. It was a good deal for consumers, nomatter how the money was split. Did not file.

I did jump to Yourmusic when I had the opportunity.

Chuck,

I agree with you 100%. I certainly new what the deal was/is and had/have no complaints. It's a good deal even with the shipping in most cases. However, under the terms of the settlement of the class action suit (which, just for the record, I had no part in whatsoever nor was I even aware of until recently and after the settlement was reached), if BMG doesn't get a certain amount of takers, they are required to go back to those who did file and offer them more discounted CDs until the total value of the discounts in the aggregate/cost to BMG reaches a specific dollar amount (I don't recall how much off hand). It just seemed to me that if they are required to essentially give this stuff away at 80% off anyway there was no reason, moral or otherwise, not to take part. I don't condone actions of this sort, but given the court order it didn't seem to me that not claiming the discounted CDs would benefits BMG in any way.

Yes, I think the settlement amount was about $8 million. Aprox $17.17 will be deducted for each CD mailed in the settlement.