CONCORD SALE

Morganized

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the material in the Concord sale not available from other sources now?

I was just looking on CD Universe for Billie Poole's "Confessin' the blues" and it's not there, but it IS in the Concord sale.

MG

Some are available elsewhere and others are not. I guess it depends on quantities still in the pipeline.

Is the material in the Concord sale not available from other sources now?

I was just looking on CD Universe for Billie Poole's "Confessin' the blues" and it's not there, but it IS in the Concord sale.

MG

Some are available elsewhere and others are not. I guess it depends on quantities still in the pipeline.

Damn! I was just listening to Billie Poole's first album and decided to move "Confessin' the blues" up my OJC list. I can't access the Concord list being a stupid European!

MG

A warning and a recommendation: Don't get that Kenny Drew Plays Harry Warren and Harold Arlen disc (I say this as someone who bought it months ago). While the idea of a Drew-Wilbur Ware duo is irresistible (at least it was to me), the idea here was for Drew to deliver almost Carmen Cavallaro-like dinner music readings of these standards, which he does without a trace of irony. No improvisation, and Ware is nearly inaudible.

Now you tell me!! :o:D That one along with the other Kenny Drew is on its way to me. Hope I don't agree with your assessment, but for $3 it can't be all bad.

I'll have to check out Earthy on emusic. Thanks for the heads up :tup

Edited by LJazz

I don't have too much Jazz Messengers stuff, so I ordered what they had (Caravan and Ugestu). Holy crap. Caravan is a killin' album. Not only is Blakey on fire, but Freddie Hubbard is just ridiculous. I listened to this three times straight on my way home from an RD gig the other night.

Now I need to get everything with this line-up. I know, I know... a little bit behind the curve here, but I had to buy all those organ records first. :)

Who would have imagined you hadn't heard these two wonderful dates before? Well, I haven't heard a bunch of essential stuff as well, I'm sure.

I like "This is For Albert" because that's my son's name. "Ugetsu" and "On the Ginza" are a couple of other great tunes as well.

Now we can expect Organissimo to add some of these tunes to the live repertoire?

God help me -- my second order of 20. Also, a recommendation or two from the sale titles for those who might not know of these: George Wallington's Jazz for the Carriage Trade, with Donald Byrd, Phil Woods, Teddy Kotick (I think) and Art Taylor. This from that early vintage period, 1956, when (IMO) Phil Woods was still an excellent jazz musician, not a jazzy musician; he and the young agile Byrd make a fine team. This was BTW the successor group (both of them working bands, at the Cafe Bohemia in NYC as I recall) to the one Wallington had with the young raw Jackie McLean, which itself made a couple of urgent LPs. Which reminds me, the Bobby Jaspar on which Wallington is a sideman is interesting -- in part because it includes the young Elvin Jones (Jaspar's fellow sideman with J.J. Johnson at the time). Maybe I'm just perverse, but I'm intrigued by the contrast (even the clash) in time feel between Wallington's linear, more or less pure bop conception and Elvin's (still in its early stages) elliptical patterns.

I don't have too much Jazz Messengers stuff, so I ordered what they had (Caravan and Ugestu). Holy crap. Caravan is a killin' album. Not only is Blakey on fire, but Freddie Hubbard is just ridiculous. I listened to this three times straight on my way home from an RD gig the other night.

Now I need to get everything with this line-up. I know, I know... a little bit behind the curve here, but I had to buy all those organ records first. :)

Who would have imagined you hadn't heard these two wonderful dates before? Well, I haven't heard a bunch of essential stuff as well, I'm sure.

Good point, Conn. I was wondering the same thing.

Jim........you gotta start doing some Jazz Messengers acquiring.

Bertrand --- You're right. I was thinking of At the Cafe Bohemia, recorded 9/9/55 at the club by RVG, and adding to it Dance of the Infidels, rec. 11/14/57 in Rudy's studio, which has Woods instead of McClean and a new bass-drum team (Knobby Totah and Nick Stabulus). A senior moment. On the other hand, there's enough intensity on At the Cafe Bohemia for two albums. The title of the first track, Jackie's "Snakes," says it all.

.....speaking of Wallington, wouldn't it be nice to see this on CD? I know I've been wanting to hear it for years. Come on Larry...use your 'pull' and start the lobbying campaign....work the magic to get that rabbit out of the hat!!!! ;)

Title: The Prestidigitator

Artist: George Wallington

Format: LP 12" Label: East-West Cat. Num.: 4004

04:55 04/05/1957 2465 In Salah

05:37 04/04/1957 2462 Composin' At The Composer

05:58 04/05/1957 2467 Jouons

04:25 04/04/1957 2463 Rural Route

05:40 04/04/1957 2461 Promised Land

04:48 04/06/1957 2468 August Moon

06:32 04/06/1957 2469 The Prestidigitator

George Wallington (ldr), J. R. Monterose (ts), Jerry Lloyd (bt), George Wallington (p), Teddy Kotick (b), Nick Stabulas (d)

DSC00588.JPG

The Prestidigitator -- Wow, I vaguely recall having heard of that one, but that probably was in an alternate universe. I wonder where East-West stuff ended up. The presence of JR certainly whets my appetite. Looks like it might all or mostly Wallington originals too, which also whets my appetite. I know that "In Salah" is his.

.....speaking of Wallington, wouldn't it be nice to see this on CD? I know I've been wanting to hear it for years. Come on Larry...use your 'pull' and start the lobbying campaign....work the magic to get that rabbit out of the hat!!!! ;)

Title: The Prestidigitator

Artist: George Wallington

Format: LP 12" Label: East-West Cat. Num.: 4004

04:55 04/05/1957 2465 In Salah

05:37 04/04/1957 2462 Composin' At The Composer

05:58 04/05/1957 2467 Jouons

04:25 04/04/1957 2463 Rural Route

05:40 04/04/1957 2461 Promised Land

04:48 04/06/1957 2468 August Moon

06:32 04/06/1957 2469 The Prestidigitator

George Wallington (ldr), J. R. Monterose (ts), Jerry Lloyd (bt), George Wallington (p), Teddy Kotick (b), Nick Stabulas (d)

DSC00588.JPG

I had a Japanese LP reissue of that album back in my vinyl days. It's been a long time since I last heard it, but if my memory doesn't fail me I quite liked it.

Edited by J.A.W.

Good point, Conn. I was wondering the same thing.

Jim........you gotta start doing some Jazz Messengers acquiring.

There's a lot of stuff I haven't heard. I should've put off getting married for awhile... ;)

I had a Japanese LP reissue of that album back in my vinyl days. It's been a long time since I last heard it, but if my memory doesn't fail me I quite liked it.

I still have that Japanese reissue which looks better (and probably sounds better) than the pretty battered original I saw once and which sold for an unspeakable number of dollars.

I have to pull out my still mint copy every time Weizen mentions it and enjoys it thoroughly :P

Monterose's playing on 'In Salah' is one of his very best appearances. Also like the bass trumpet playing of Jerry Lloyd, a rare opportunity to listen to him!

Can't get enough of Wallington's brillant original piano playing. In the liner notes, Wallington mentions Clarence Profit among his favorite pianists and adds 'Profit had a way of using two notes in each hand that no one else had gotten into by the time he died in 1945.'

Wallington does just that on some of his solos, specially on the Monterose composition 'Jouons'.

The cover on that Wallington sure is corny!

Jerry Lloyd's playing on the Hipp album is indeed very weak.

I still haven't figured out how much material belongs on the Wallington Bohemia set. In addition to the original LP, there were a couple of bonus tracks, and I believe at least one did not make it to the OJC CD. But some discographies I've seen claim there is at least one alternate for each tune, which would then make it 2-CDs worth of music. Some of the material showed up on the Progressive label instead, but some tracks on there might have duplicated the Prestige album. Anyone ever sort this out?

Speaking of 'Snakes', what is Wayne talking about in this interview?

http://www.abstractlogix.com/interview_view.php?idno=75

My CD has no vocals on it, and I don't get the joke.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

You guys in the EU are a FN joke. For Gods sake.....create something on/of your own. Thank god for BMW, Mercedes and a couple TT manufactures.

France is an embarrassment to mankind...OTOH.. France is an embarrassment to Texas. Lance and many others

consider you less than 3rd world these days. An American with no hip wins the tour....nuf said.

The French Navy harassing Cali fisherman off rocks in Mexico...well FN done you FN losers...

In light of the allegations (and likelihood, IMO) of Landis having doped up in order to make his miracle Tour victory, I think an apology would be a nice gesture.

...FN Americans!

Bertrand -- I don't get what Wayne is saying about "Snakes" either, and I just listened to the track. But perhaps you can enlighten me about something else. The McLean discography

http://www.jazzdisco.org/mclean/dis/c/

mentions only two alternates of "Sweet Blanche" for this date. But in the liner notes for the Progressive 7001 issue (from 1985) of At the Bohemia (the only version I have), Gus Striatis, who produced the original recording, says that everything on Progressive 7001 is an unissued take. Any thoughts?

You guys in the EU are a FN joke. For Gods sake.....create something on/of your own. Thank god for BMW, Mercedes and a couple TT manufactures.

France is an embarrassment to mankind...OTOH.. France is an embarrassment to Texas. Lance and many others

consider you less than 3rd world these days. An American with no hip wins the tour....nuf said.

The French Navy harassing Cali fisherman off rocks in Mexico...well FN done you FN losers...

In light of the allegations (and likelihood, IMO) of Landis having doped up in order to make his miracle Tour victory, I think an apology would be a nice gesture.

...FN Americans!

Hey, Dude--he's from PA, and not far from Philly.

...FN Texans!

Hey, Dude--he's from PA, and not far from Philly.

...FN Texans!

:g

I saw an interview with his mother the other day, apparently they're Quakers or something (?). She had to ride a bike (in her very conservative clothing) over to someone else's house in order to watch the Tour finale. Apparently they don't own a car.

Maybe the USPS Team should start scouring the Quaker & Amish communites for strong bike riders in the future :P