CONCORD SALE

Morganized

Jeez. . . looks like he's become one of those ignorant zenophobic right wing repub wingnuts. Don't look for an apology. Just look away.

I don't think this xenophobic and insulting crap should be tolerated here.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did alot of listening over the last day and a half and found the following sale CDs to be quite compelling:

The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio, 1965--with Butch Warren and either Jimmy Cobb or Granville Hogan. Curiously, it was recorded in 1962 and 1963.

Walt Dickerson--A Sense of Direction--his second album, from 1961.

Charles McPherson--From This Moment On--1968 recording, with Pat Martino and Cedar Walton.

Lem Winchester--Lem's Beat--1960 recording, with Oliver Nelson.

Elmo Hope--Hope Meets Foster--1955, with Frank Foster.

George Wallington--Jazz for the Carriage Trade--1956 with Donald Byrd and Phil Woods.

I did alot of listening over the last day and a half and found the following sale CDs to be quite compelling:

The Walter Bishop, Jr. Trio, 1965--with Butch Warren and either Jimmy Cobb or Granville Hogan. Curiously, it was recorded in 1962 and 1963.

Charles McPherson--From This Moment On--1968 recording, with Pat Martino and Cedar Walton.

George Wallington--Jazz for the Carriage Trade--1956 with Donald Byrd and Phil Woods.

Hello kh,

Glad to hear that Walter Bishop, Jr. is not a total dud. I was a little worried about that one. I missed the Winchester and the McPherson. Don't know what I was thinking! :wacko: Have the others but havn't gotten to them yet. I have been enjoying the Jazz in Hollywood stuff. This is West Coast Jazz in its purest sense.

Hello kh,

Glad to hear that Walter Bishop, Jr. is not a total dud. I was a little worried about that one. I missed the Winchester and the McPherson. Don't know what I was thinking! :wacko: Have the others but havn't gotten to them yet. I have been enjoying the Jazz in Hollywood stuff. This is West Coast Jazz in its purest sense.

The Walter Bishop is a good one, performed by a working group. The liner notes indicate this was his first record as a leader of a trio. The selections are all around three minutes in length.

I have to say I own a bunch of Ellington, including the massive RCA box, but I never got around to owning 'The Ellington Suites' until I got the K2 from the Concord sale last week.

Oh my! This is a monster. It is already one of my top Ellington's, all time. This one should be recommended right along with "far east suite', 'and his mother called him bill' and 'such sweet thunder'. I havent been able to listen to the rest of my concord order, because I have already listened 5 or 6 times to this puppy and I am not tired yet.

:blush:

PACD-2310-762-2.jpg

I have to say I own a bunch of Ellington, including the massive RCA box, but I never got around to owning 'The Ellington Suites' until I got the K2 from the Concord sale last week.

Oh my! This is a monster. It is already one of my top Ellington's, all time. This one should be recommended right along with "far east suite', 'and his mother called him bill' and 'such sweet thunder'. I havent been able to listen to the rest of my concord order, because I have already listened 5 or 6 times to this puppy and I am not tired yet.

PACD-2310-762-2.jpg

A group of us guys wore out Side 1, "The Queen's Suite", on our vinyl copy at our jazz loving apartment in college in the 1970s. I especially love 'Sunset and the Mockingbird' and 'Single Petal of a Rose.' I am glad that you found this one!

PACD-2310-762-2.jpg

Great stuff, these suites. In fact all the Ellington on Pablo is worth grabbing, doesn't get the attention it should.

PACD-2310-762-2.jpg

Great stuff, these suites. In fact all the Ellington on Pablo is worth grabbing, doesn't get the attention it should.

Good to hear that! It's on my pile of unheard OJC discs... but not the K2, just the jewel case OJC...

I'm glad I ordered that as part of my second order! I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Me too--in my second order. :rolleyes:

Aye, me too for my 2nd order. Oof! :lol:

After hearing some of the other K2 upgrades, I thought to myself how on earth could I have not upgraded those wonderful Ellington suites the first time around. Another 6 or 7 K2 upgrades (same as last order) along with a lot of new stuff, such as the Jazz in Hollywoods.

PACD-2310-762-2.jpg

I especially love 'Sunset and the Mockingbird' and 'Single Petal of a Rose.' I am glad that you found this one!

My thoughts exactly. Beautiful pieces, both.

This one is already endearing itself to me big time. She has a great voice and the backing group includes Ken McIntyre and Jaki Byard. Recommended !

Wonder what happened to Honi Gordon? (after the 'Mingus Moves' recordings - the most recent I know of hers).

OJCCD-1783-2.jpg

Edited by sidewinder