CONCORD SALE

Morganized

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ernie Henry is in good form too. He's on the quintet tracks. It's Frank Foster on tenor, not Griffin, on the septet tracks. Only slight drawback is pianist Joe Knight, who can be a bit obvious as a comper, but again that's slight. The lively rawness of this date is rather un-Riverside-ish, but I see that it was produced by Keepnews AND Bill Grauer, which may account for that. Also, there's a nice, of the period, chart on Gee's original "Gee!" -- airy voicings reminisicent of Quincy Jones when he was still alert and relatively honest musically.

Jaki Byard - Freedom Together. What a nifty little collection of pure, naturally idiosyncratic music with absolutely zero commercial potential, even by jazz standards. And Byard on tenor is icing on the naturally idiosyncratic cake.

Although, it wasn't the Junior Parker I was expecting, but hey. Yet another surprise.

Totally cool stuff probably doomed to be ignored forever, even for $3.00. C'est la fukkin' vie...

Jaki Byard - Freedom Together. What a nifty little collection of pure, naturally idiosyncratic music with absolutely zero commercial potential, even by jazz standards. And Byard on tenor is icing on the naturally idiosyncratic cake.

Although, it wasn't the Junior Parker I was expecting, but hey. Yet another surprise.

Totally cool stuff probably doomed to be ignored forever, even for $3.00. C'est la fukkin' vie...

You were expecting a Junior Parker from Concord and got the Byard? What Parker?

MG

NO kidding. I have always loved that session [John Dennis piano trio w. Mingus, Roach] in the Debut box.

New Piano Expressions also includes some solo tracks, which the tray card says aren't included in the Debut box. The solo stuff is excellent, particularly if you like "classically-influenced" playing.

do ya'll remember the '60s Junion Parker side-- I'm not gonna look it up, let's go old-school & just use memory--

"You Don't Have to be Black to Love the Blues"?

w/a Chinese kid on the cover chin wet and a big slice of watermelon in hand?

mighta been some Roulette descendant or similar budget label tho' I recally paying $6 for it at.

c

eBay listing

Looks like it was on the Groove Merchant label.

do ya'll remember the '60s Junion Parker side-- I'm not gonna look it up, let's go old-school & just use memory--

"You Don't Have to be Black to Love the Blues"?

w/a Chinese kid on the cover chin wet and a big slice of watermelon in hand?

mighta been some Roulette descendant or similar budget label tho' I recally paying $6 for it at.

c

eBay listing

Looks like it was on the Groove Merchant label.

I think that's a spin on the old Levy's rye bread ads:

Levy's

I've opened about ten of my order so far, and the one I've had the most fun listening to is Al Sears: Swing's The Thing. What a wonderful session, just old school swing, played in a nice, relaxed manner. Mr. Sears has payed attention to the way Johnny Hodges plays, that's for sure. I play it all the time now. :wub:

c23357t0lmh.jpg

Dom Um Romao - Hotmosphere

This was recorded for Pablo in 1976.

It's a solid little record, what might be called a party album. Brazilian music, heavy on the percussion and horns. No ballads, all uptempo.

The band is 18 members, though maybe not all at the same time, plus three female vocalists. The musicians include Claludio Roditi, Sonny Fortune, Ronnie Cuber, Lou Del Gatto and Ron Carter.

Not five star, but a pleasant change of pace from what all else is available from the Prestige and Riverside recordings included in the sale.

I've opened about ten of my order so far, and the one I've had the most fun listening to is Al Sears: Swing's The Thing. What a wonderful session, just old school swing, played in a nice, relaxed manner. Mr. Sears has payed attention to the way Johnny Hodges plays, that's for sure. I play it all the time now. :wub:

c23357t0lmh.jpg

Yep, this is really really good. Nice sound too.