CONCORD SALE

Morganized

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only gotten through a small portion of my Concord Sale haul, but so far this one really stands out for me:

OJCCD-1899-2.jpg

Great alto playing by McPherson, the sidemen gel nicely (Cedar Walton, Pat Martino, Peck Morrison, Lenny McBrowne), and the presence of a young Pat Martino is a real bonus. :tup

Guest akanalog

not new to me, but if anyone doesn't know it-

raul de souza's "colors" is a nice disc.

it is a 1974 date with richard davis and jack dejohnette and a dude ted lo i don't know much about besides he is also on a ron carter LP i have.

cannonball adderley is on a few of the tunes.

there is a long version of "crystal silence" which is good.

http://www.cannonball-adderley.com/1543.htm

here is a webpage with some info.

this isn't a great album, but worth an investigation if you don't mind electric piano.

OJCCD-1859-2.jpg

I know this one's been enthusiastically recommended before on this Board, but DAMN! DOUBLE DAMN! :tup:tup:tup Now I'm gonna have to scarf up a copy of "Conflict". :rolleyes:

Amen to that. I just pulled this off e-Music the other night. Some serious mojo here. I like it better than "Conflict". Wonder why this guy just stopped playing? It's sure not for lack of chops.

Up over and out.

OJCCD-1859-2.jpg

I know this one's been enthusiastically recommended before on this Board, but DAMN! DOUBLE DAMN! :tup:tup:tup Now I'm gonna have to scarf up a copy of "Conflict". :rolleyes:

Amen to that. I just pulled this off e-Music the other night. Some serious mojo here. I like it better than "Conflict". Wonder why this guy just stopped playing? It's sure not for lack of chops.

Up over and out.

after it was mentioned in the Conflict AOTW thread that Woods lived in Alaska now I did some googling which turned up this site

http://www.mtaonline.net/~midnight/james.html

with a recent photograph - seems to be playing still (or again) but changed his name to James :)

(almost back here now after moving to another town again - will take some more weeks until normal life starts again)

haven't got awakening but recently listened to the Joe Gordon Looking Good with Woods again - :tup:tup

• 1 month later...

It's taking me a fair amount of (wonderful!) time to get through my Concord haul. How on earth did I miss Hampton Hawes??! I've been listening to three cds of his piano playing, including the wonderful Trio, Vol. 1, and he could really move on piano. I'm SO glad I got those cds! Caused me to go in search of more, especially the trio stuff he recorded for Prestige.

It's taking me a fair amount of (wonderful!) time to get through my Concord haul. How on earth did I miss Hampton Hawes??! I've been listening to three cds of his piano playing, including the wonderful Trio, Vol. 1, and he could really move on piano. I'm SO glad I got those cds! Caused me to go in search of more, especially the trio stuff he recorded for Prestige.

I think you mean Contemporary. I have virtually all of his available recordings on Contemporary, and they are uniformly top-notch (and have that wonderful Contemporary sound). And don't limit yourself to just the trio stuff, with his wonderful quartet recordings, e.g., 3 "All Night Session!" volumes--with Jim Hall on guitar, "Four!" with Barney Kessel on guitar and Shelly Manne on drums, and "For Real!" with Harold Land on tenor and Scott LaFaro on bass.

A non-Contemporary Hawes trio date I really like is "Blues For Bud", which was recorded in Europe in the late 60's and is available on the 1201 Music label (it was originally on Black Lion) here.

And one last trio CD not to be overlooked is "Bird Song" on OJC--a couple of terrific sessions from the late 50's not released until 1999. See here.

I think you mean Contemporary. I have virtually all of his available recordings on Contemporary, and they are uniformly top-notch (and have that wonderful Contemporary sound). And don't limit yourself to just the trio stuff, with his wonderful quartet recordings, e.g., 3 "All Night Session!" volumes--with Jim Hall on guitar, "Four!" with Barney Kessel on guitar and Shelly Manne on drums, and "For Real!" with Harold Land on tenor and Scott LaFaro on bass.

A non-Contemporary Hawes trio date I really like is "Blues For Bud", which was recorded in Europe in the late 60's and is available on the 1201 Music label (it was originally on Black Lion) here.

And one last trio CD not to be overlooked is "Bird Song" on OJC--a couple of terrific sessions from the late 50's not released until 1999. See here.

Yes, absolutely, it was Contemporary. Sigh. When I start confusing labels like that, I sometimes think I should hang it up! Thanks for the recommendations on other Hawes. I'll check those out!

• 4 months later...

Didn't the story on the other thread have Concord claiming they were not doing a wholesale delection of the Fantasy Catalog? It seems Chuck could list a bunch of titles that are gone.

I can only spend so much on music; I can't try to grab all the Fantasy Titles I could possibly want in my life now because Concord is dumping them. Right now, I have zero interest in Lennie Niehaus. Will I feel differently in 10 years? Maybe.

I know there will be times when I will look at the catalog and think 'man, I wish I'd gotten this back then', but I can't buy everything today because of that.

We all know that the sale to Concord was going to lead to titles disappearing en masse. Don't need a crystal ball for that. At least, through the blow-out sale, I was able to grab a few things that had not previously come under my radar screen. If I find something else in the catalog and I can't get it through the normal channels, I know I can hear the music somehow by hook or by crook.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The blowout sale itself had a heading that said those items were being deleted from the catalog. . . .

Not surprising, no, that we're looking at this now. I have been grabbing all the titles I think I will want. I probably will grab more Specialty and blues titles over the next year.