CONCORD SALE

Morganized

Since all of us who placed orders should be receiving them soon, I would be curious to learn of any new personal "finds" that board members may have discovered. If you were like me, at those prices I was much more willing to take some chances and picked up some artists that I may have skipped in the past....and/or upgraded for improved sound on some old favorites that I would not have duplicated.

I already know that there were some in the Concord sale that I now wish I would have added to my list, but a guy has to draw the line somewhere...well doesn't he! :w

Anyway, I would be interested to hear which ones you have enjoyed most. Which artists were a pleasant surprise for you? What did you particulary like about them? Which discs had improved sound that really made a difference to you? Which disc turned out to be a dud....etc. etc.

After looking at the poll taken showing the number of discs purchased at the Concord sale...I realize this could take some time. :g:g

Good listening!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Osie Johnson's "Osie's Oasis." First cd I cracked open from the batch, and it is a very nice mid fifties jazz session, featuring a bunch of Count Basie members, in particular Thad Jones and Frank Wess. Very enjoyable and swinging!

Edited by Stefan Wood

Listening to Osie Johnson's "Osie's Oasis." First cd I cracked open from the batch, and it is a very nice mid fifties jazz session, featuring a bunch of Count Basie members, in particular Thad Jones and Frank Wess. Very enjoyable and swinging!

Thanks Stefan but, of course, the first one out of the batch is one that I did not order. :crazy: I will have to keep an eye out for that one but my cd budget is way out of balance this month......if you know what I mean. :g

Myself, I have been listening to the Herbie Harper. I have been in a serious West Coast mood of late and this one fits the bill. Has all the usual suspects, Jimmy Rowles, Marty Paich, Bud Shank, Bob Gordon...etc. Some really nice, very early, cool jazz.

Thanks again.

FWIW, this album is available on eMusic.

I've enjoyed the Ted Curson, Don Friedman's Dreams And Explorations, and Jimmy Heath's Swamp Seed, but by far the knock out selection has been the Chris Albertson produced Franz Jackson's Original Jass All-Stars featuring Bob Shoffner. WOW! It is so full of life! I put it on in the evening after 3 straight days of 100 degree weather (with no air conditioning), and it revitalized me in a way that no drug or even a cool breeze ever could. This is going to be one that will get played a great deal. As an aside it may also lead me to go back and play more discs that include the tuba (see Swamp Seed for one.) Anyway, it is such a joy, and is guaranteed to invigorate your spirit.

What would Fantasy be w/o CCR...how do you think all the jazz titles stayed in print. Frankly, Fantasy would

have perished long ago w/o CCR.

Concord bought Fantasy for 3 reasons... Miles, Trane and CCR..end of story.

And I'm surprised they've beat the parasitic EU joke labels to the ' Hey , I can make a CDR' to the punch.

We need more EU parasite labels on the shelves to save a couple bucks. LMAO

You guys in the EU are a FN joke. For Gods sake.....create something on/of your own. Thank god for BMW, Mercedes and a couple TT manufactures.

France is an embarrassment to mankind...OTOH.. France is an embarrassment to Texas. Lance and many others

consider you less than 3rd world these days. An American with no hip wins the tour....nuf said.

The French Navy harassing Cali fisherman off rocks in Mexico...well FN done you FN losers...

The CCR titles I ordered will make a a few people happy as they will be stocking stuffers or BDay presents. Whether you are 15 or 55 get the CCR titles....

The Hawes titles..Vol. 1-3 are sweet.

What would Fantasy be w/o CCR...how do you think all the jazz titles stayed in print. Frankly, Fantasy would

Is that an assertion or do you know for a fact that CCR has been outselling material on, for example, Stax?

Whether you are 15 or 55 get the CCR titles....

Oh good, I'm 62 :g

MG

I don't have too much Jazz Messengers stuff, so I ordered what they had (Caravan and Ugestu). Holy crap. Caravan is a killin' album. Not only is Blakey on fire, but Freddie Hubbard is just ridiculous. I listened to this three times straight on my way home from an RD gig the other night.

Now I need to get everything with this line-up. I know, I know... a little bit behind the curve here, but I had to buy all those organ records first. :)

The biggest impression for me so far of those that I had not heard before is the Barbara Lea (with Johnny Windhurst Quintets).

bio.jpg

I had heard later Lea and not been too impressed (but didn't hear much or too closely). This one I got mainly for Windhurst and Carey, and I'm glad I did. Yes, Lea sounds so much like Wiley some of the time here that it's scary (but I'm a Lee Wiley FAN). But these are nice little quintets and Johnny and Dick blow so nicely and it's captured in great RVG living-room sound. I'll crack open the other Lea title I picked up soon.

Is that an assertion or do you know for a fact that CCR has been outselling material on, for example, Stax?

MG

I would be very surprised if the Stax titles came close to the CCR in total sales.

MG

I would be very surprised if the Stax titles came close to the CCR in total sales.

Of course not over the past 30 years. I should have made it clear that I meant more recently.

(Though in total, Stax must have done a very great deal more than 20 million. Just not since Fantasy acquired the company.)

MG

Concord bought Fantasy for 3 reasons... Miles, Trane and CCR..end of story.

And I'm surprised they've beat the parasitic EU joke labels to the ' Hey , I can make a CDR' to the punch.

We need more EU parasite labels on the shelves to save a couple bucks. LMAO

You guys in the EU are a FN joke. For Gods sake.....create something on/of your own. Thank god for BMW, Mercedes and a couple TT manufactures.

France is an embarrassment to mankind...OTOH.. France is an embarrassment to Texas. Lance and many others

consider you less than 3rd world these days. An American with no hip wins the tour....nuf said.

The French Navy harassing Cali fisherman off rocks in Mexico...well FN done you FN losers...

The CCR titles I ordered will make a a few people happy as they will be stocking stuffers or BDay presents. Whether you are 15 or 55 get the CCR titles....

The Hawes titles..Vol. 1-3 are sweet.

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

in case you think there's no european jazz or music that's genuine, you're about as narrow-minded as the above post is... just because you don't know doesn't mean it's not there... (i'm not french, btw)

And if us yurpeens are allowed to post here about zweitausendeins sale finds, despite the merikin jazz police closely watching, here's one that I enjoy a lot:

prcd24234_0.gif

A lovely pair of albums that! Jennings is another guitarist overshadowed by the organist he supported. Apparently, many of those early Wild Bill Davis recordings were arranged by Bill [Jennings, that is].

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

:tdown

If this is really how you feel, I'm embarrassed.

A warning and a recommendation: Don't get that Kenny Drew Plays Harry Warren and Harold Arlen disc (I say this as someone who bought it months ago). While the idea of a Drew-Wilbur Ware duo is irresistible (at least it was to me), the idea here was for Drew to deliver almost Carmen Cavallaro-like dinner music readings of these standards, which he does without a trace of irony. No improvisation, and Ware is nearly inaudible.

An interesting one that might sneak beneath the radar is the jam session titled Earthy, with Art Farmer, Hal McKusick, Al Cohn, Kenny Burrell, Mal Waldron, Teddy Kotick, and Ed Thigpen. McKusick gets more space to blow here than he ever did, except for his own very good Prestige album of this time (with the choice rhyhthm team of Paul Chambers [very clearly recorded] and Charlie Persip -- it's not in the sale), and everyone else is in fine form (especially Farmer), though there is one very fast track that's a fair bit unsettled rhythmically for a while until one of the soloists finally gets everyone to agree where "one" is. (BTW, of the players listed above, who do you think that might have been?) Even so, it's an intriguing date with a flavor of its own -- "blowing" in that solos are lengthy, but Farmer and McKusick especially bring their organizational temperaments to the party.

I don't know....I like that Kenny Drew disc. It's true that the Wilbur is buried in the mix (yet again), but a better mastering job could have improved it. It's one of those albums that makes me crave a Chivas on the rocks for some reason....

Nonetheless, there aren't many Kenny Drew leader dates from the era and Wilbur didn't record NEARLY enough, so I think it's worth at least 2.98.

:)

An interesting one that might sneak beneath the radar is the jam session titled Earthy, with Art Farmer, Hal McKusick, Al Cohn, Kenny Burrell, Mal Waldron, Teddy Kotick, and Ed Thigpen. McKusick gets more space to blow here than he ever did, except for his own very good Prestige album of this time (with the choice rhyhthm team of Paul Chambers [very clearly recorded] and Charlie Persip -- it's not in the sale), and everyone else is in fine form (especially Farmer), though there is one very fast track that's a fair bit unsettled rhythmically for a while until one of the soloists finally gets everyone to agree where "one" is. (BTW, of the players listed above, who do you think that might have been?) Even so, it's an intriguing date with a flavor of its own -- "blowing" in that solos are lengthy, but Farmer and McKusick especially bring their organizational temperaments to the party.

It's part of the sale (although not for me moronic yurpeen): http://concordmusicgroup.com/artists/album/?id=2816

A warning and a recommendation: Don't get that Kenny Drew Plays Harry Warren and Harold Arlen disc

An interesting one that might sneak beneath the radar is the jam session titled Earthy, with Art Farmer, Hal McKusick, Al Cohn, Kenny Burrell, Mal Waldron, Teddy Kotick, and Ed Thigpen. McKusick gets more space to blow here than he ever did, except for his own very good Prestige album of this time (with the choice rhyhthm team of Paul Chambers [very clearly recorded] and Charlie Persip -- it's not in the sale), and everyone else is in fine form (especially Farmer),

I don't know....I like that Kenny Drew disc. It's true that the Wilbur is buried in the mix (yet again), but a better mastering job could have improved it. It's one of those albums that makes me crave a Chivas on the rocks for some reason....

Nonetheless, there aren't many Kenny Drew leader dates from the era and Wilbur didn't record NEARLY enough, so I think it's worth at least 2.98.

:)

I purchased both of these, but I havn't opened either one yet.....guess I'll start with Earthy and wait on the Kenny Drew. I love Kenny, though. The comments so far on that one do not surprise me.I have found his stuff to be hit or miss.

UBU -- Earthy IS part of the sale, which is why I mentioned it. It's McKusick's own Prestige album that is not of the sale. Sorry for any confusion.

Oh, I mis-read your post, sorry! I guess the McKusick is on the endangered list, I ought to get it as long as it's still around!