CONCORD SALE

Morganized

Hey, Dude--he's from PA, and not far from Philly.

...FN Texans!

:g

I saw an interview with his mother the other day, apparently they're Quakers or something (?). She had to ride a bike (in her very conservative clothing) over to someone else's house in order to watch the Tour finale. Apparently they don't own a car.

Maybe the USPS Team should start scouring the Quaker & Amish communites for strong bike riders in the future :P

I doubt they're Quakers. Quakers don't shun modern technology--just war. They're probably Mennonite, if not Amish. They live in Lancaster County (about 80 miles from here), the heart of Amish/Mennonite country.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Dude--he's from PA, and not far from Philly.

...FN Texans!

:g

I saw an interview with his mother the other day, apparently they're Quakers or something (?). She had to ride a bike (in her very conservative clothing) over to someone else's house in order to watch the Tour finale. Apparently they don't own a car.

Maybe the USPS Team should start scouring the Quaker & Amish communites for strong bike riders in the future :P

I doubt they're Quakers. Quakers don't shun modern technology--just war. They're probably Mennonite, if not Amish. They live in Lancaster County (about 80 miles from here), the heart of Amish/Mennonite country.

They're Mennonites. Landis said so on Dutch TV.

Just to lose contenance again for a second FN amish, FN quakers, FN mennonites, FN merikins (I like that spellink since it puts them merikins so close to them FN mexikins, you know).

An apology would indeed be welcome - there's really no point at all for that post above, and my first reaction was much too moderate.

... my first reaction was much too moderate.

definitely and I am just glad I didn't see it when it was still fresh.

so this is probably the only thing of importance to happen on the board while you were away (although you were almost or actually back again)... <_<

plus, my FN euro mind is wondering WTF "FN" is supposed to stand for?

ignoFant merikiN?

[edited to make quotations work correctly]

Edited by king ubu

ignoFant merikiN?

i think that may be more a description of the original poster's comments... :P

PS - "F*cking"------> "F-ing"-----> "F-N"

now that's silly. Effing is written "effing", or "effin'" when you're not in a hurry and can find the effing ['] key. Everybody knows that. Here's hoping there isn't some rule that says that in Merican english you have to abbreviate like this. :rhappy:

now that's silly. Effing is written "effing", or "effin'" when you're not in a hurry and can find the effing ['] key. Everybody knows that. Here's hoping there isn't some rule that says that in Merican english you have to abbreviate like this. :rhappy:

you know, actually at least in terms of symbolic capital, merikins don't speak no enrish anyway! :P

I will separate my two replies since there are two completely separate topics going here.

To all our European friends,

I hope you realize that Wolff's xenophobic comments in no way represent my feelings nor those of most other U.S. Organissimo members (hopefully). As a dual French and American Citizen with many family ties to France, I've poked a fair amount of fun at the expense of both, but I love countries, and I love the fact that I can belong to both.

Bertrand.

Brownie, Larry,

I've always been puzzled about this discographical confusion concerning the Bohemia dates. Keep in mind that jazzdisco.org, although very useful for quick searches, is somewhat unreliable, so you have to take what they say with a big grain of salt.

I had also heard that the Progressive album had alternate takes of all tracks, and Brownie seems to be confirming that this is the case.

Can you post the timings of the Progressive album? If they are different enough, this will prove this. I have the Prestige album on my iTunes folder, so I can check those timings when I get home.

This may mean that I am missing more tunes in my Jackie McLean iTunes playlist! I'm close to being complete. I am missing Art Farmer Live In Tokyo and Mal Waldron's Sems Like Old Times (neither of which have ever been on CD), and a few isolated tracks here and there.

Don't know what Wayne is talking about. I may ask him at the Monk competition in September.

Bertrand.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

20+ years ago Gus Statiras (aka Gus Grant) offered the alternates to me (claiming them to be a complete alt duplicate of the issued record) and I suspect a number of other labels. Eventually they were issued on Progressive. It is my understanding Fantasy sued, stopped sales of the Progressive issue and got the tapes. Those tapes are probably the source of the alternates on the Prestige cd.

I'm enjoying the Taft Jordan CD ('Mood Indigo'). The first half is a Moodsville session (so everything's mid tempo) filled with great Ellington tunes and with some good solo space for Kenny Burrell. The second session is a more uptempo swingfest with Al Sears and Hilton Jefferson (on alto--I love his sound) joining Jordan. Jordan's a really nice player, underrated I suppose. Both sessions, by the way, were very well-recorded (the first session by RVG).

bio.jpg

Can you post the timings of the Progressive album? If they are different enough, this will prove this. I have the Prestige album on my iTunes folder, so I can check those timings when I get home.

Bertrand, as soon as I trace the damn copy. May take some time. It's a vinyl jungle back here :o

Brownie,

Actually, Larry Kart posted the timings above. You may want to locate your copy eventually, however, because I suspect it's very rare!

I looked at the timings on the Fantasy CD, and I conclude that the tracks on the Progressive album MUST BE alternates, because the timings are quite different.

We have the following:

Title Fantasy CD Progressive LP

Snakes 5:59 6:40

Minor March 6:49 7:37

J. Mac's Crib 8:44 6:40

Bohemia After Dark 8:26 (w/ The Peck) 9:00

Johnny One Note 8:29 8:00

Sweet Blanche 7:03 7:30

The bonus track on the CD is an alternate of 'Minor March' (not 'Sweet Blanche') clocking in at 7:39, which is the same timing as the 'Minor March' on the progressive LP.

So I think Chuck is right: the alternate take on the CD must be the version on the Progressive album. The other tracks on the Progressive are alternates which Fantasy chose not to include.

Now the plot thickens, because jazzdisco.org claims the two alternates are on Overseas (J) ULS 1860, not on the Progressive or the Prestige. Does anyone have the Overseas record?

BTW, what other titles are on Progressive? This seems to be the first from the catalog number.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Still FN waiting for FN wolf's FN apology. Sorry to FN bring this FN topic off FN topic again, but that FN post needs a FN apology, FNF!

He's probably FN cowering (no offense couw) awaiting the results of Landis's 2nd pee pee test. Or dreaming up some sort of conspiracy that you rascally Europeans must have 'gainst 'mercan cyclists. ;) His post was one of the stupidist things I've seen on this board - heck, any board.

What do folks think of those Al Smith Bluesville albums?

I've got "Hear my blues" - it's OK; I give it house room. Jaws and Shirley are on it, which I think makes it quite interesting, and the reason I bought it. But I don't like his voice much.

MG

Hmm...now I'm kinda torn. This AMG review says Smith's voice is like Jimmy Witherspoon's, and I do love me some Witherspoon. Is his sound really reminiscent of Witherspoon's, or does the reviewer have his head up his arse?

What do folks think of those Al Smith Bluesville albums?

I've got "Hear my blues" - it's OK; I give it house room. Jaws and Shirley are on it, which I think makes it quite interesting, and the reason I bought it. But I don't like his voice much.

MG

Hmm...now I'm kinda torn. This AMG review says Smith's voice is like Jimmy Witherspoon's, and I do love me some Witherspoon. Is his sound really reminiscent of Witherspoon's, or does the reviewer have his head up his arse?

I don't think he sounds like Spoon. He has a rather small voice in my view. There's some Ray Charles influence in there, too. But there's a similarity of approach to Spoon's, which is probably emphasised by the backing.

As I said earlier, it's OK. I bet there are a few Spoons in the sale, though.

MG