Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

I should have my Coltrane box tomorrow! :excited: I see by the FedEx tracking that it is only about 25 miles away.

I feel pretty fortunate that I'm getting one at all. I had ordered both the Evans and Coltrane box and was pretty much resigned that I would get neither. To end all torture and speculation, I called Concord's customer service on 8/16 to check on the status of my orders. The rep there was very nice and helpful and informed me that both were probably out of stock. He offered to contact the warehouse to check and give me a call back. He called back shortly thereafter and told me that the Evans was out of stock but that they would be shipping me the Coltrane box that same day. Expecting to get nothing, I was pretty pumped to get that good news! I'm really glad that I called because I don't think I would have gotten the Coltrane if I had waited it out. :unsure:

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, all my bitching and moaning and whining and groaning notwithstanding :blush: , I received notice that my 7/24 order shipped today, and that everything shipped except for 2 Dolphy CDs. That means I got both the Coltrane AND the Evans boxes! :party: I take back everything bad I said about Concord. Well, almost everything--it still took a hell of a long time (and there's still that 7/29 order). :w

At this stage, I've left it all in the hands of the jazz-gods. Still haven't heard about the Trane box that I ordered 7/21, but on the good side, I did receive all the K-2s I ordered, excepting one. So, it all evens out in the scales of life's precarious whims. To ease my pain, I bought Turn Out The Stars today. :ph34r:

At this stage, I've left it all in the hands of the jazz-gods. Still haven't heard about the Trane box that I ordered 7/21, but on the good side, I did receive all the K-2s I ordered, excepting one. So, it all evens out in the scales of life's precarious whims. To ease my pain, I bought Turn Out The Stars today. :ph34r:

I'd definitely give them a call sooner rather than later and hope that you get a good rep. I ordered mine well after yours and I could be wrong, but the rep may have pulled a string to get it for me. I just asked about the status of my orders and he said that they were most likely out of stock. I pointed out to him that they were still listed for sale as late as a couple of days before my 8/16 call. He admitted that they were but indicated they should have been taken off the site. He then volunteered to check with the warehouse and call me back. It ended up being shipped that same day. I was just going to let things slide thinking I was going to get nothing. I changed my mind and called because I figured the worst that could happen was that I'd find out for sure that I wasn't going to get anything. I'm glad I did call because I think it made the difference between getting it and not getting it.

Good luck. I hope everyone that wanted one of these gets one. It's quite the ma-mah-ja-mah. :excited::tup:g

Edited by mikelz777

According to Fed Ex, I should have my Coltrane Box by Friday -- geez, it takes a long time to get from California to Florida!! I'm glad I called Concord when I did or I doubt I would have received the Coltrane Box --- although by the time I inqired about the Evans Box that I had ordered it was gone.

Well, in order to console myself about not getting the Evans Box, I guess I may have to order the Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions Mosaic box under the 10% sale...maybe it will make me feel better!!!! :)

I could swear I read some where the the Montgomery set is OOP. At the very least, I think Concord might not order aonther pressing of the big box sets while they take stock of what they want to do in the future.

I remember reading the same thing somewhere recently that the Montgomery set was going OOP, but I don't remember where or when. But it did get me off the fence and I purchased the Montgomery set recently.

I had picked up the Rollins Prestige set from yourmusic when they still had it. And I also picked up the Pepper Galaxy box recently. In case these disappear, I didn't want to be shut out. But who knows what the plan is for these box sets right now.

Got a confirmation email on my final order placed on 8/3 which had about 6 cds..... no word about my 2nd "trane order....

Just called them to check.... He said I was one of the last 'Trane orders they might be able to fill. He was going to call the warehouse and let me know either way today...

Hey Ron did you get yours???

Any other board members who actually did miss out?

Check back in a few hours and I'll let you know if I've got an extra one for sale.... :)

Edited by tranemonk

Got a confirmation email on my final order placed on 8/3 which had about 6 cds..... no word about my 2nd "trane order....

Just called them to check.... He said I was one of the last 'Trane orders they might be able to fill. He was going to call the warehouse and let me know either way today...

Hey Ron did you get yours???

Any other board members who actually did miss out?

Check back in a few hours and I'll let you know if I've got an extra one for sale.... :)

Reading through the posts, I think I am the latest to order and receive a Coltrane box. My order was placed 7/30. I think most if not all of the people itching for one got one.

Actually the sound on the Evans really bugged me... which is why I got rid of it 6 months ago... (Also NO Booklet??? :angry::angry: )

Ya know, for a set that came out in '91, the sound quality of this s--- sounds damn MF good. Ditto for the Evans box.

To my ears, early '90's Fantasy CDs generally sound pretty damn great. :tup

Are the individual recordings about the same, better or worse than those on the box set? Since they ran out of Evans Complete Riverside before they got to my order, I'm giving strong thought to buying up the individual recordings included in the box. I won't be able to do it for what I would have paid for it in the blowout sale, but I can do it for considerably less than what the set is selling for in various places on the internet.

I guess I probably shouldn't be too concerned. I never seem to notice or be bothered by the sound quality of any recordings some seem to find fault in. Maybe my stereo and ears aren't as high end as others. :wacko:

Just heard back from our boy Jackson... He said I got one of the last 'Trane sets (ordered 7/27)... Just got the FedEx tracking email....

So I'm assuming everyone here who wanted one... did get one...., right? :w:w:w

I will say this.. despite their complete disorganization...

a) They probably made a shitload of $$$ of this sale... and

b) Jackson seemed to be the only dude there who knew what was going on...

I did hear that rumor that the Wes was OOP.... but I'm going to hope there is a Round 2 with that set...