Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many Fantasy box sets, and I think this is one of the best jobs they have done. But I never would have got me this, because of the price ..... but then Zweitausendeins had a bargain on Fantasy box sets many years ago ....... and it was the LP-sized boxes, not the cheapos, which were an assault to Fantasy's great efforts.

I think Chuck is right with his assumption, and I also think there will be some repackaging in smaller doses, which is not a bad thing, IMHO.

Edited by mikeweil

So far I only have the cheap ZYX edition with the ridiculously small booklet that has just the basic session info.

Our forum colleague John (couw) made some booklets for the ZYX/Fantasy box sets with the complete discographical info. They can be printed and folded to fit the boxes:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/couw/Documents/

Thanks, but the small booklet does in fact include that kind of info. My complaint being that it

contains nothing else than that. Even the small ZYX version of the Miles Prestige set had

comments for every session (even though they were very hard to read due to the tiny font size).

Edited by Kyo

So far I only have the cheap ZYX edition with the ridiculously small booklet that has just the basic session info.

Our forum colleague John (couw) made some booklets for the ZYX/Fantasy box sets with the complete discographical info. They can be printed and folded to fit the boxes:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/couw/Documents/

Thanks, but the small booklet does in fact include that kind of info. My complaint being that it

contains nothing else than that. Even the small ZYX version of the Miles Prestige set had

comments for every session (even though they were very hard to read due to the tiny font size).

In the Art Pepper, Bill Evans Riverside, Miles Davis and Monk Riverside I have (the reduced ZYX versions), the booklets do not contain the detailed discographical info that John put into his booklets.

Certainly understandable- these "Complete Everything Box Set" things are wearying and expensive, and they replace the fun of listening to music with dull scholarly tedium.

I don't need to listen to Ray Draper's tuba solos to appreciate 'Trane. I don't need to hear ALL of the Red Garland sessions, just the good ones. I don't need to revisit the awkward pairing of 'Trane and Quinochette, or the mind-numbingly crowded 78-saxophones in one album thing.

There's a lot of great material that 'Trane recorded for Prestige. And the good stuff is available cheaply on both vinyl and CD, especially for those of us who enjoy hearing it and seeing it in its original album order, regardless of how oddly they were put together.

A bunch of titles are being deleted, right off the bat I noticed these gone from the site:

Boss Tenor K2

Monk Plays Ellington K2

Sonny Rollins Worktime K2

Eric Dolphy Outward Bound K2

CCR Cosmos Factory K2

Im sure some more have been deleted...

Worktime K2 is still there.

Boss Tenor K2 is still there.

Cosmo's Factory K2 is still there.

Whether they are still in the warehouse is another question.

A bunch of titles are being deleted, right off the bat I noticed these gone from the site:

Boss Tenor K2

Monk Plays Ellington K2

Sonny Rollins Worktime K2

Eric Dolphy Outward Bound K2

CCR Cosmos Factory K2

Im sure some more have been deleted...

Worktime K2 is still there.

Boss Tenor K2 is still there.

Cosmo's Factory K2 is still there.

Whether they are still in the warehouse is another question.

That's weird. I went in an hour ago and I swear they werent there. They are showing up now indeed. :unsure:

dont be so high and might aggie i dont need to give more money to the people that screwed coltrane over his entire live. and besides the dude i got it from got someone of equal coolness from me and everyone is happy. dont shove your holy jazz philosophy down my gullet

Attitudes like yours (and their results) - about it being just fine and dandy to CDR that you aren't paying for - contribute significantly to decline of the music business, and the disappearing mom-and-pop music stores, and the decrease in good music on ANY store shelves.

Let me get this straight - you are a college graduate (?) heading towards a career in law, and you don't have a problem committing illegal activities that HURT the music you love?

When I ordered on Friday, Sonny Rollins - Worktime was not listed among the sale items. I wanted to order that one because Chuck said it was his favorite album by Sonny Rollins.

I wonder if they are deleting all of the K2s or just the ones on tap to be remastered by RVG.

Worktime is not listed on the SALE page, but it is on sale. As was Boss Tenor.

When I ordered on Friday, Sonny Rollins - Worktime was not listed among the sale items. I wanted to order that one because Chuck said it was his favorite album by Sonny Rollins.

I wonder if they are deleting all of the K2s or just the ones on tap to be remastered by RVG.

Worktime is not listed on the SALE page, but it is on sale. As was Boss Tenor.

Yes, I found it via an artist search - and they say it shipped.