Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

It would be interesting to find out how many Coltrane boxes sold in the last couple of years. I believe the straight retail price on this one was/is something like $220. Even in the best of times, that's a self-limiting proposition in that only real die-hards tend to buy it.

I haven't really paid attention, so I should check next time I got to HMV in London, but I think I've seen something about being able to buy the Universal Mosaics in installments, or at least not having to pay the full price upfront.

Anyone knows?

F

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think buying this set is a no-brainer. First: Sixteen cds at $4.00 a pop is a great price. Second: No one is sure what Concord is up to in terms of the OJC/Fantasy catalog, so some of the cds that appear in the Coltrane box might go OOP for good. Third: I had a friend play some cds off this box yesterday, and the sound is very good to my ears. Last, it's Coltrane -- 'nuff said.

I ordered... I have to assume it's not sold out.. otherwise why would they keep it on the site???

And yes I should read the posts before asking the same question... :(

I don't know... I ordered it a week ago and haven't received it yet; not even a shipping email has been sent

I ordered... I have to assume it's not sold out.. otherwise why would they keep it on the site???

I don't know... I ordered it a week ago and haven't received it yet; not even a shipping email has been sent

Me neither, but reading others people's shipping experience, we should be getting notification either Tuesday or Wednesday -- I hope.....

I called them on Friday and they said my order had gone to the warehouse for shippning but the guy couldn't tell me whether or not they were sold out!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Me neither, but reading others people's shipping experience, we should be getting notification either Tuesday or Wednesday -- I hope.....

Edited by tranemonk

Yes, it is gone. [Coltrane box]

Maybe some should start a Bill Evans Complete Riverside Box Thread! :g

As of today, (Aug. 2nd) the Coltrane Prestige box is still listed on the Concord/Fantasy site but the Bill Evans Riverside box listing disappeared yesterday. :( My fingers are crossed, :unsure: I ordered the Evans box 5-6 days ago and the Coltrane box 2-3 days ago. Having to wait so long just to find out if they're going to have enough stock to ship my orders really stinks! :angry:

Yes, it is gone. [Coltrane box]

Maybe some should start a Bill Evans Complete Riverside Box Thread! :g

As of today, (Aug. 2nd) the Coltrane Prestige box is still listed on the Concord/Fantasy site but the Bill Evans Riverside box listing disappeared yesterday. :( My fingers are crossed, :unsure: I ordered the Evans box 5-6 days ago and the Coltrane box 2-3 days ago. Having to wait so long just to find out if they're going to have enough stock to ship my orders really stinks! :angry:

I agree they are very slow. But it's hard to complain too much at the prices these are being offered for. If they were retail priced, I think the argument about their slow processing time would be certainly much more significant...

I was a little late to the party, but placed an order for about 40 CDs early last week. Here's my question: Assuming that some of those are out of stock, if more than ten are unavailable, my order will be fewer than 30 discs. Will my per disc price get bumped up to $3.99? And will Concord notify me before they change the prices and charge me? (I doubt that).

Anyone...?

I was a little late to the party, but placed an order for about 40 CDs early last week. Here's my question: Assuming that some of those are out of stock, if more than ten are unavailable, my order will be fewer than 30 discs. Will my per disc price get bumped up to $3.99? And will Concord notify me before they change the prices and charge me? (I doubt that).

Anyone...?

Somwhere on this Board--there are something like 4 threads about this sale now--someone posted that they asked Concord the same question, and were advised that the lower price would still apply.

I think I have all the material, except maybe two of the Garland sessions and possibly the Elmo Hope (which I might have under a different title). With that much repetition, it doesn't make sense for me even at $60, even if it happened to still be in stock.

I think I have all the material, except maybe two of the Garland sessions and possibly the Elmo Hope (which I might have under a different title). With that much repetition, it doesn't make sense for me even at $60, even if it happened to still be in stock.

It sounds like you need to pick up a couple of Red Garland sessions. :D

Your post made me look to see what kind of overlap I had because I planned on selling those CDs. It looks like I only have two CDs that would overlap the set, one Coltrane and one Red Garland recording! I thought I had more Prestige Coltrane but other than those, I have 2 or 3 Atlantics, 1 Impulse and a couple of Blue Notes. Now I'm even more excited to get the set!

Edited by mikelz777

Just got my email from Concord that my 'Trane set was shipped....

I'm extremely excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really looking forward to digesting this over a few weeks!! For $70!!!!! :)

when did you place your order?

My Coltrane box order was shipped yesterday, and I placed the order on July 15.

placed the order on 7/22

hmmm....me too. I hope you didn't get the last one!

No need to worry--it still shows up on the site, even though several other titles have been removed from the sale pages (including the Evans Riverside box).

I'm not sure how to interpret my situation on the Evans Riverside box. It was taken off the site 4-5 days after I ordered it. I'm just hoping it was taken off when it was determined that they would no longer be able to fulfill additional orders. When it takes about 2 weeks to get shipping notification from order date and the item disappears somewhere in the middle it makes a guy wonder.

I'm obsessing over this way too much. :wacko: Still, I'm sure I'll be checking the site every day to see if the Coltrane box is still listed until (if?) I get a shipping notice.

placed the order on 7/22

hmmm....me too. I hope you didn't get the last one!

No need to worry--it still shows up on the site, even though several other titles have been removed from the sale pages (including the Evans Riverside box).

Yep! Shipped today! :tup