Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

My Coltrane box arrived today. I'm not complaining, as the price was so good, but isn't this supposed to be sealed, never unopened? Mine was sealed but once I removed the plastic, I noticed that the box itself had been taped closed, and the CD cases looked scratched and the plastic inner tray was scratched, as if from normal use. The CDs themselves looked fine, though. Maybe this was a return, or something?

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed too that both the Evans and Coltrane boxes are now showing on the sale pages. I guess that's a good thing? I see too that they were down to 210 jazz titles and now they are up to 223. Who knows what to think? Either the warehouse is discovering more hidden stock or orders are being cancelled because anxious customers are dying of old age before the orders are processed.

:eye: Time to hurry up and wait some more. :eye:

What's the going turn-around time now to receive a shipping notice? I only have 1 item in each order.

Edited by mikelz777

Many reasons mentioned are part of the deal but I'd bet the real reason it's going away is they ran out of books and boxes. The reprinting cost would not be supported by sales.

On a (perhaps) similar point, I just realised that on September 11 it'll be the 50th anniversary of Art Tatum's last recording session (the one with Ben Webster anyway), which means that his whole recorded output will be PD in the EU. I know some people don't wait till the 50 years, but could this be another reason to get rid of the old Fantasy boxes asap?

F

hmmm.. Everything was selaed news on mine... Haven't broke the seal yet... :huh::huh:

My Coltrane box arrived today. I'm not complaining, as the price was so good, but isn't this supposed to be sealed, never unopened? Mine was sealed but once I removed the plastic, I noticed that the box itself had been taped closed, and the CD cases looked scratched and the plastic inner tray was scratched, as if from normal use. The CDs themselves looked fine, though. Maybe this was a return, or something?

I called yesterday to find out what was up with my order from 29 July. Jackson said that they were running about 10-12 business days to process orders, and then shipping Fed Ex ground, and I woudl get an email with the tracking #. Still no such email. Today was the 9th business day. So I'm just gonna chill for a few more. I hope it doesn't arrive when I'm in Chicago next week though.

I called yesterday to find out what was up with my order from 29 July. Jackson said that they were running about 10-12 business days to process orders, and then shipping Fed Ex ground, and I woudl get an email with the tracking #. Still no such email. Today was the 9th business day. So I'm just gonna chill for a few more. I hope it doesn't arrive when I'm in Chicago next week though.

Well, I was told the exact same thing more than once, and today is the 14th business day since my July 24th order. We'll see if I get a shipping notice today, but I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile, the Coltrane box has been pulled from the sale pages yet again. :( You'd think that a company the size of Concord--now owning both Fantasy and Telarc--would run this operation more efficiently. <_<

You guys may have a while longer to wait. I actually called yesterday also, and got the same response. But I am right around order # 6000 from 7/21. This is my third order, and I've received the first two, so I can wait.

But reading in the other thread that people with later order numbers from later dates than me have had their orders shipped is ticking me off. And forget about 5-10 business days, or 10-12 business days to ship. I'm at about 15 business days now and there's no sign my 3rd order will be shipped soon.

Concord is mucking this sale up nicely, but it's hard to complain too hard given the prices and the product.

Concord is mucking this sale up nicely, but it's hard to complain too hard given the prices and the product.

That's easy for you to say--you've actually gotten some product! :P

I'm beginning to think that Concord turned this whole thing over to some Berkeley work-study students on summer break (they confirmed that they are shipping these out of Berkeley). "Hey guys--empty out this warehouse by the end of the summer, and you'll each get 500 bucks!" :excited:

You guys may have a while longer to wait. I actually called yesterday also, and got the same response. But I am right around order # 6000 from 7/21. This is my third order, and I've received the first two, so I can wait.

But reading in the other thread that people with later order numbers from later dates than me have had their orders shipped is ticking me off. And forget about 5-10 business days, or 10-12 business days to ship. I'm at about 15 business days now and there's no sign my 3rd order will be shipped soon.

Fretting over your 3rd order when many are still waiting for their 1st order probably isn't going to go over very well here.

I'm just wondering, is there any point in calling (what they are passing off as) customer service? From what I'm reading here, it seems that all they are doing is saying whatever they have to to complete the call without actually providing any kind of real help or providing any tangible information or assistance of any kind. :angry: I feel inclined to call but I think I'd just end up more frustrated than when I started.

There is no rhymn or reason to what Concord is doing. I've received my second order today, with my third on the truck but my first order, the Coltrane box, I have yet to hear anything on. What can you do? If you call the answer will be: "It's at the where-house."

There is no rhymn or reason to what Concord is doing. I've received my second order today, with my third on the truck but my first order, the Coltrane box, I have yet to hear anything on. What can you do? If you call the answer will be: "It's at the where-house."

My guess is that the Coltrane box--like the Evans box--is history. :(

You may be right. I wonder if what they're doing (and not telling anyone) is holding the Trane orders in case the product shows up.

You may be right. I wonder if what they're doing (and not telling anyone) is holding the Trane orders in case the product shows up.

Could be, but I have a lot of singles on the same order (#6100, 7/24/06), and would hate to see some of those singles run out while they're waiting to maybe find some more Trane boxes. It's being run by Berkeley work-study students, I tell ya. <_<

Fretting over your 3rd order when many are still waiting for their 1st order probably isn't going to go over very well here.

I was expecting a smiley or a wink after your post, but I guess you are serious.

Briefly, so as not to belabor the point, I made it very clear I can wait for my order. But at any point during this process, I or anyone else may be waiting for a second, or third, or tenth order while someone else is waiting for their first order. Does that mean we can't be angry that we haven't received our orders because someone hasn't received their first? In your view, when am I allowed to be angry with the wait? Whether it was my first or tenth order, I spent my hard-earned money on an order from July 21st. It is now August 11th and it hasn't shipped yet. But again, I'll live, and I'll wait. We know they're overwhelmed. No biggie.

Sorry, I hope I don't come off harshly, but I just felt the need to respond. Back on topic.

Edited by jeffrey r

Finally got my Fedex tracking email today for my Coltrane box order on 7/17/2006. My guess for the random sequence of shipments is that the warehouse peeps don't do them in the date sequence, but in some other preference order that fits their process, or lack there of.

:rolleyes: Just to put some more perspective on this whole mess, (as if the discussion so far hasn't already been enough) I placed an order with Zweitausandeins in Germany on July 31st. I received a shipping notice on Aug. 2nd and the item was delivered today. (Dexter Gordon's Complete Prestige Recordings for those who might be curious.)

Overcoming language barriers, placing the order and delivery across the Atlantic Ocean in one and a half weeks is pretty darn good and as timely as many domestic orders. They certainly have the operators at Concord beat. :wacko:

My two cents:

A couple of days ago when the Evans box was up on their site,

I ordered it. Today, I got an email telling me that the set is

no longer in print and that my CC won't be charged.

My guess about most everyone's order is that if the Coltrane were truly not in their stock,

then you would've heard something by now. Maybe yes, maybe no, but this is just what happened to me.

I think that they're swamped. Probably good idea to chill, listen to some stuff that you haven't gotten to yet

and expect your order probably 3 to 4 weeks after you'd ordered it. It'll be a wonderful surprise when it shows up at your door. ;)

:rolleyes: Just to put some more perspective on this whole mess, (as if the discussion so far hasn't already been enough) I placed an order with Zweitausandeins in Germany on July 31st. I received a shipping notice on Aug. 2nd and the item was delivered today. (Dexter Gordon's Complete Prestige Recordings for those who might be curious.)

Overcoming language barriers, placing the order and delivery across the Atlantic Ocean in one and a half weeks is pretty darn good and as timely as many domestic orders. They certainly have the operators at Concord beat. :wacko:

Ugh! :( Thanks for bringing up another sore subject. My recent Zweitausendeins order supposedly shipped on July 28th, and still hasn't arrived 2 weeks later. I know they say to allow 3 weeks, but my previous orders arrived much more quickly. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya--they're all out to get me. :wacko: My only consolation is that if neither Concord nor Zweitausendeins come through by the end of the month, I can then justify an order from the Mosaic sale. :excited:

My two cents:

A couple of days ago when the Evans box was up on their site,

I ordered it. Today, I got an email telling me that the set is

no longer in print and that my CC won't be charged.

My guess about most everyone's order is that if the Coltrane were truly not in their stock,

then you would've heard something by now. Maybe yes, maybe no, but this is just what happened to me.

I think that they're swamped. Probably good idea to chill, listen to some stuff that you haven't gotten to yet

and expect your order probably 3 to 4 weeks after you'd ordered it. It'll be a wonderful surprise when it shows up at your door. ;)

Ooooo... I'm taking this as a faint ray of hope as I have both Evans and Coltrane in the pipe and I haven't got a reject email yet. I'm re-crossing my fingers.

Edited by mikelz777

.....My only consolation is that if neither Concord nor Zweitausendeins come through by the end of the month, I can then justify an order from the Mosaic sale. :excited:

Unless they can keep you hanging for two + weeks. I'm guessing by now, they're capable of it. :wacko:

Edited by mikelz777

.....My only consolation is that if neither Concord nor Zweitausendeins come through by the end of the month, I can then justify an order from the Mosaic sale. :excited:

Unless they can keep you hanging for two + weeks. I'm guessing by now, they're capable of it. :wacko:

Doesn't matter--I got 'em beat. If their orders don't show up by August 31st, I'm Connecticut-bound (virtually speaking). And maybe even if their orders DO show up, so there! :P

I just checked - it was less than ONE day:

Date ordered: Thursday the 10th @ 5:48 PM

Evans cancellation notice: Friday the 11th @ 12:18 PM

The email seemed to actually be written by Jackson (not automated)

'cause my name was spelled incorrectly... :g

Doesn't matter--I got 'em beat. If their orders don't show up by August 31st, I'm Connecticut-bound (virtually speaking). And maybe even if their orders DO show up, so there! :P

What Mosaic(s) are you looking at?

Ugh! :( Thanks for bringing up another sore subject. My recent Zweitausendeins order supposedly shipped on July 28th, and still hasn't arrived 2 weeks later. I know they say to allow 3 weeks, but my previous orders arrived much more quickly. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya--they're all out to get me. :wacko: My only consolation is that if neither Concord nor Zweitausendeins come through by the end of the month, I can then justify an order from the Mosaic sale. :excited:

I hope your 2001 order doesn't follow suit with the one I ordered way back, Ron. :( Actually in some ways it's similar to the Coltrane thing with Concord, in that I ordered a few boxes that WERE available at the time of ordering, but due to some unnecessary delays that were their fault (moving their warehouse), the items were no longer available when it was finally time to ship.

Definitely some unnecessary delays going on with these Concord orders too. Damn college kids **pulling up waistband**.