Hammond Zone

Soulstation1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So an M3 is totaly worth it?? It sounds like a B3? I found one in Jersey. On ebay, Current bid is 100.

Again, it depends on what you want to get out of it. It does not have decent bass capabilities. But it does have the same sound generation as a B3 (no Leslie, but it has an internal speaker).

Call up some music stores in the area and see if they have one (they are fairly common) and go play it. Know what you're getting before you buy.

Bass is not an issue. I just want a B3 sound.

Is it loud enough for what?

The amp in an M3 is only about 10watts, I believe. So it's probably not loud enough on its own to carry a band, if that's what you're asking.

To put it in perspective, a stock Leslie 122 is 40watts. They can get plenty loud for jazz in most cases, but in my blues band I usually have to mic the cabinet and put it through the sound system.

If you really want the "B3" sound, you're going to need a Leslie of some kind. Either a Motion Sound unit or a real Leslie. A good combo with the M3 is a 147, a 47, or a 45 (which is shorter than the other two, but still has two rotors, bass and treble). And Leslies are usually not cheap. Unless you get lucky like me and your dad trades a guitarist a few piano tunings for a 147 (that I converted into a 122). ;) That's the Leslie you hear on all my recordings (save the Root Doctor disc, where I used my recently acquired 21H).

The Motion Sound stuff is good as well. The Pro-3T can be had for around $400, but you still need something for a bass amp (it has a real rotating horn and simulates the bass rotor electronically, but it does not have a bass speaker... you need to provide the speaker and something to amplify it with). You would also need to have someone wire up a direct output on the M3 so you could plug that into the 1/4" input on the Pro-3T.

Taking all that into consideration (buying an M3, having a tech look at it, hooking up a Leslie connection (they do not usually have one stock unless someone already did it) and/or a direct output, buying a Leslie, having a tech look at that, etc.) I still think you should consider saving your bread and getting an XK-1 or XK-3.

Is it loud enough for what?

The amp in an M3 is only about 10watts, I believe. So it's probably not loud enough on its own to carry a band, if that's what you're asking.

To put it in perspective, a stock Leslie 122 is 40watts. They can get plenty loud for jazz in most cases, but in my blues band I usually have to mic the cabinet and put it through the sound system.

If you really want the "B3" sound, you're going to need a Leslie of some kind. Either a Motion Sound unit or a real Leslie. A good combo with the M3 is a 147, a 47, or a 45 (which is shorter than the other two, but still has two rotors, bass and treble). And Leslies are usually not cheap. Unless you get lucky like me and your dad trades a guitarist a few piano tunings for a 147 (that I converted into a 122). ;) That's the Leslie you hear on all my recordings (save the Root Doctor disc, where I used my recently acquired 21H).

The Motion Sound stuff is good as well. The Pro-3T can be had for around $400, but you still need something for a bass amp (it has a real rotating horn and simulates the bass rotor electronically, but it does not have a bass speaker... you need to provide the speaker and something to amplify it with). You would also need to have someone wire up a direct output on the M3 so you could plug that into the 1/4" input on the Pro-3T.

Taking all that into consideration (buying an M3, having a tech look at it, hooking up a Leslie connection (they do not usually have one stock unless someone already did it) and/or a direct output, buying a Leslie, having a tech look at that, etc.) I still think you should consider saving your bread and getting an XK-1 or XK-3.

So what will an M3 sound like without a Leslie? Like garbage?

No, it would sound like a Hammond without a Leslie. You really should try and play an organ first before buying one so you know what you're looking for. I'm sure there is a music store with an M3... call around.

If I have time, I'll take some video of me playing my M3. Let me see what the wifey is up to and maybe she can help.

Okay, I just called about 10 Guitar Centers. The last one told me to call the one in Manhattan. He's running a search to see what stores have them, and will call me back in half an hour. That's pretty good, considering most people's replies were, "uh.........what?" "what did you say" "what's that?"

I don't seem to be having any luck.

But this is not the real problem. I am aware of a very cheap M3 that I can get a hold of. It's what it will sound like without the Lelie. Because for now I could just mike the speaker and run the mic through an amp for volume. I'm worried what it will sound like. I want the sound to be like the sound Jimmy has in this video clip. Is it possible to get this sound from my M-3 while I'm looking for a leslie?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D4tMBjw6L2k&search=jimmy%20smith

I don't seem to be having any luck.

But this is not the real problem. I am aware of a very cheap M3 that I can get a hold of. It's what it will sound like without the Lelie. Because for now I could just mike the speaker and run the mic through an amp for volume. I'm worried what it will sound like. I want the sound to be like the sound Jimmy has in this video clip. Is it possible to get this sound from my M-3 while I'm looking for a leslie?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D4tMBjw6L2k&search=jimmy%20smith

Look at my post 39 again, I left out some important words. :rfr

Edited by 7/4

JK,

By music stores, I meant mom & pop operations. Places that sell real pianos usually have organs, too. And they usually take trade-ins, which means they have older Hammonds. Banjo Mart (GC) and Sam Ash deal only with new shit.

You might also check charity stores like Goodwills and St. Vincent DePauls (don't know if you have those in NYC, but places that take donations and sell used and really inexpensive clothing, appliances, and furniture to lower-class people). A buddy of mine found a mint Hammond C3 with Leslie at a Goodwill store here in Lansing a few years ago for $125.

As for the sound of an M3... yes, it can sound like that Jimmy Smith video (he is either not using a Leslie, or is using one on the "brake" speed and not switching it, so the sound is very stationary) except for the bass. But the lead sound he's doing with his right hand... yes, an M3 can sound like that.

Jimmy looks relaxed and happy!

Yeah, he was doing a LOT of clowning around...almost too much sometimes.

You wanted him to get on with the music instead of making faces

at his sidemen while they were taking solos.

Also, I remember him saying during the interview that his 60th b-day was coming up,

so, yes it must've really been '88.

Edited by rostasi