Terrence Blanchard - "Bounce"

sal

The silence on this one is deafening.

I haven't bought it either-but a quick check of Amazon.com suggests somebody's buying it. It's sales rank is 875, pretty high by jazz standards. IN comparison the new RVG Blakey sales rank at Amazon is 32,404. Both were released Aug. 5

It's on my radar screen, since I've yet to hear anything by Blanchard that's truly bad or disappointing. Really looking forward to hearing him in the context of organ. In a quiet, unassuming way, I think that Blanchard has developed into the most interesting and consistent of the mainstream trumpeters of the era. Been playing JAZZ IN FILM to death lately, seldom leaves the multi-disc changer.

Jazz in Film is VERY nice! Wandering Moon had some fine moments as well. I'm looking forward to hearing the new one.

Among "new lion" trumpeter/composers, Blanchard never received quite the kind of hype that Hargrove and Payton did, let alone Marsalis. Ironically, he may be amassing quietly the most impressive discography of all of them.

For what it's worth, the local paper had some reviews in today's edition, including, terence blanchard-bounce. It was written by the ap's Charles J. Gans.

Terence Blanchard,who has sucessfully bounced between his careers as a jazz trumpeter-band leader and film music composer,has found a comfortable new home at the Blue Note label.

"Bounce",which mostly features original compositions by Blanchard and his bandmates,reflects his penchant for complex but accessible,hard driving, modern post-bop jazz.Blanchard's trumpet solos are richly expressive, whether he's breathing fire on the more freeform "Fred Brown" or lovingly caressing the notes on the ballad "Nocturna" by Brazilian composer Ivan Lins.

Blanchard shows on "Bounce" how he has evolved to meld jazz with other styles--for example,African rhythms on his own ebullient "Azania" or funk beats on his arrangement of Wayne Shorter's classic "Footprints".But the closing "Bounce-Let's Go Off",with it's shuffling New Orleans-style beat, finds Blanchard paying homage to his Big Easy roots.

He also deserves kudos for mentoring some talented young players in his own quintet,most notably saxophonist Brice Winston and pianist Aaron Parks, giving them a chance to share the spotlight as both soloists and composers.

Edited by mike casinghino

• 1 month later...

I've been giving this a few spins lately, and I must say, I like Bounce very much. The arrangements, the band, and Blanchard are in great form. Though, I must admit that the first thing that went through my mind when I heard the version of "Footprints" was George Washington Jr.'s "Mister Magic". I also noticed, and there's a good chance I'm crazy on this one, but Blanchard sounds very influenced by Bobby Hackett on the ballads. Just the tone and the phrasing made Hackett flash for some reason. Over all, and great first Blue Note cd from Blanchard, and I'm looking forward to the next.

I picked this up when it first came up and liked it instantly. Subsequent listens have reinforced that assessment. I think it's a first rate effort all the way around. I really dig the electric piano tunes. I've been a fan of Blanchard's since his days with Donald Harrison. This one did not disappoint and I too am looking forward to hearing more of him.

As an aside, I was at the Village Vanguard the night he debuted his Malcolm X Jazz Suite. It was one of the most intense and emotional performances I've ever heard. Really had that Coltranesque feel of spirituality. He and the entire band signed a program for me and I even got some pictures of both the performance and also with the band members. A framed collage now hangs in my basement jazz room as a memory of one of the most intense jazz experiences I ever had.