Favorite Tadd Dameron Composition

Dan Gould

Your Favorite Dameron Composition?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

...and there's a lot more unrecorded Dameron tunes sitting in the Library of Congress (and elsewhere). One is called 'Buy War Bonds Now'.

Saxophonist Paul Combs, who is writing a book on Tadd to be published by University of Michigan Press, will no doubt comb through these (pun intended) and figure out what's what. If they are on the level of his wonderful recorded compositions, we are in for a special treat.

A United Kingdom resident named Ian McDonald (presumably not the guy from King Crimson) also has a book out on Dameron. I think it's self-published. I saw it a friend's house. I don't know how good the text is, but the lay-out was real nice - it was an oversize book, chock full of photos.

McDonald is apparently hard at work on a book on Hank Mobley.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Does "Nostalgia" count? I really dig that tune a lot. I know the basic changes aren't Dameron's, and also Fats Navarro was a contributor to the melody (?). I think it's explained in the Fats Proper box, but a friend is borrowing it at the moment. So is this a Dameron tune, Dameron-Navarro, or Navarro?

Nostalgia is Fat Girl's!(Its on the changes to "Out Of Nowhere")Dameron wrote a different head on those changes...

Thanks, Trumpet Guy, that's what I thought but I didn't know for sure. Have you heard Hargrove's version of "Nostalgia" on his FAMILY album; Wynton's plays on it too, and it's pretty nice (although I'm not a huge Wynton fan).

It's too hard to say — I like all of the compositions listed. I especially like Dameron's playing on the album Mating Call. Damn hip.

If you want more Dameron, check out Willie "Face" Smith's orchestrations of Dameron tunes on Joe Lovano's 52nd Street Themes. Shazam!