Steve Lacy / Mal Waldron

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that Waldron/Lacy was a magical combination. Always.

Wondering what people think of the Walron/Jim Pepper duos. I've never given a helluva lot of thought to Jim Pepper one way or the other, but the duet album of him & Waldron I have (Art Of The Duo on Tutu) is superb. Apparently this was not a one-shot deal, but I've not heard anything else.

Yes, that is a good one, and while I've read that there are others I've yet to find any. I am quite fond of Pepper, so I've been looking...

Wondering what people think of the Walron/Jim Pepper duos. I've never given a helluva lot of thought to Jim Pepper one way or the other, but the duet album of him & Waldron I have (Art Of The Duo on Tutu) is superb. Apparently this was not a one-shot deal, but I've not heard anything else.

The two discs of Mal Waldron with Jim Pepper at the Utopia are first rate.

The two discs of Mal Waldron with Jim Pepper at the Utopia are first rate.

They are.

Funny Glasses and A Moustache, baby

I think the Marion Brown duo is a one-off. It's a fascinating disc, though I can imagine that it would drive some people nuts (incredibly slow & dark, & Brown's intonation is pretty quirky).

You are absolutely right but they recorded two albums together.

frl010.jpg

frlcd006.jpg

Needless to say that both recommended.

Edited by B. Goren.

(snip)

That was Chuck's gig: putting together a Monk re-union big band that included Monk. After Monk's death the project was carried through with Mal. Killer band. Steve Lacy, Phil Woods, Charlie Rouse in the sax section. Supposed to have been Pepper Adams, but he was ill, too, so Howard Johnson. Ben Riley on drums? Who was in that band, Chuck? Do you still have the set list?

(snip)

Back in November 1981, I attended the evening concert at Columbia University which was titled "Interpretations of Monk". Everybody kind of knew that Monk was in his last days (he died the following February) and various tributes were being performed or played on radio during that time. Between the afternoon and evening concerts, four sets of Monk music were performed, a total of 23 Monk compositions with no duplication of any Monk tune, save for "Epistrophy". Four different pianists were featured, Muhal Richard Abrams on the opening afternoon set, Barry Harris on the closing afternoon set, Anthony Davis on the opening evening set, and Mal Waldron on the final and closing evening set. The front line for all four sets consisted of Steve Lacy, Charlie Rouse, Roswell Rudd and Don Cherry. So that was the only time I got to see Steve and Mal together although I had caught them several times previously and subsequently with their own groups. Anyway, during that final set, Mal and Steve performed excellent duets on "Let's Call This" and "Reflections". Some fifteen years later or thereabouts, Japanese DIW Columbia released the entire day's worth of concerts on a four CD package. a release I highly recommend if it can still be obtained. The music was and remains, sublime.

It's amazing to think you were there! It's more than ten years I am listening to this concert. It's a really superb recording for Lacy and Roswell Rudd, mainly, while has to be said that Don Cherry gives a costantly awful performance.

My favourite Lacy/Waldron is Sempre Amore (italian for love always) and this wonderful HatOLOGY 4cd box (well, being Hat's let's call this a quadruple envelope). I missed that hystorical "Interpretations of Monk" night, but I've been lucky enough to see Waldron and Lacy perform some times -even for free- at festivals. Unforgettable music

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

• 2 months later...

Yeah it's great stuff. I should add that I really, really, wish a boxed set were available of Waldron's 1970s Enjas--that was a great run of stuff. I played Hard Talk over & over as a teenager. (It's got a classic version of "Snake Out" on it. Those who don't like Lacy's "outside" stuff might find it hard going though--his solos are amazingly singleminded in their focus on all the kissing, squeaking, growling sounds he can muster!)

yeah, a box set may be the only way Up Popped The Devil sees the light of day....

"Up Popped the Devil" was reissued quietly by Enja Horst Weber (http://www.jazzrecords.com/enja/) in 2003. Easily avilable here in Europe. Quite a mediocre disc, though.

Enja Matthias Winkelman just reissued "Moods" in 24-bit with one track added: http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-2110 This one is good.

Enja Matthias Winkelman just reissued "Moods" in 24-bit with one track added: http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-2110 This one is good.

Too bad "Thoughtful" and "Duquility" are missing. All seven solos from that date should be reissued together somewhere.

They are included on "One-Upmanship" reissue: http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-2092

Too bad "Thoughtful" and "Duquility" are missing. All seven solos from that date should be reissued together somewhere.

They are included on "One-Upmanship" reissue: http://www.enjarecords.com/cd.php?nr=ENJ-2092

I'm aware of that. I just think they should be together, as originally intended.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Mal's advise as relates to presenting music? I've forgotten his exact words, Chuck, so please serve as backup memory if you're able to recall what I told you. He was forthright about taking it straight ahead and keeping music uncompromised by commercial distractions. As it boiled down he was confident in his path through music and counciled no compromise in the presentation of jazz. So did Lacy.

I'd been walking from the Grant Park underground. Mal appeared on the street in front of the old Blackstone Hotel, on the Michigan avenue side. A couple in front of me on the sidewalk walked up to him as he was lighting a "Moore."

"Excuse me? Can you tell me where Marshal Fields is?"

Waldron struck a match, pulled the un-lit cigarette out of his mouth, smiled and said, "No, I just flew in from Germany a couple of minutes ago" then lit up.

The couple turned to me and asked, "Do you know where Marshall Fields is?"

I said, "No, but aren't you Mal Waldron?"

He was suprised. So was the couple. They had no idea but were intrigued. I looked at them and said, "Do you know who Billie Holiday was?" They did. "He played with her." Mal laughed, but didn't laugh it off. He said what he learned from accompanying Billie, but mostly remembered being overwhelmed in front of a jazz audience on a scale he hadn't imagined as a young man.

"That's right, you were on t.v. with her. 'Nervous.'?"

"I WAS."

After the cigarette and more questions he was like, If we're going to do this, let's sit down and have some coffee. We wedged under a black rubber topped table at the greasy spoon in the Blackstone for breakfast and coffee. After explaining in the previous week I'd done a retrospective radio feature on him for this appearance he went into details and he hipped me to what more could have been a part of the radio program and why. We talked for about 40 minutes. It was helpful, he said, because he was still recovering from an amnisic (sp) episode in his life, right? Didn't he go through a crisis like that?

Of course, it was far more helpful to me than he'll ever know. At that time his quartet recording with Joe Henderson, David Friesen, and Billy Higgins, "One Entrance, Many Exits," was freshest in my mind, as well as the duo record with Steve Lacy on Hat Hut called "Herbe De L'oubli."

"Hurray for Herbie" on that recording is 17 minutes long. Some of the long, feeling out improvisations revealing ideas that would be refined over the long course of their collaboration.

I asked him, "What does 'Herbe De L'oubli' mean?"

He had his finger tips pressed together with his elbows on the table, making this pyramid with his face behind it. He moved out from behind his hands and said with a broad grin, "The green grass of forgetfulness."

He brought up the Mingus and Max Roach period recordings which I'd missed, talked about Booker Little as someone to pay closer attention to. "The Quest" was required listening by Nessa, and Waldron appreciated that.

There was no "All Music Guide" to give you the narrative then. Just books, records, concerts and most of all knowing Chuck.

That was Chuck's gig: putting together a Monk re-union big band that included Monk. After Monk's death the project was carried through with Mal. Killer band. Steve Lacy, Phil Woods, Charlie Rouse in the sax section. Supposed to have been Pepper Adams, but he was ill, too, so Howard Johnson. Ben Riley on drums? Who was in that band, Chuck? Do you still have the set list?

After the show the crowd pressed back to the Blackstone. Waldron, in his dark suit, was standing at the top of the marble stairs just beaming when he saw us. He held his hands open at about pocket level, just grinned, and said, "What did you think?" Then he was mobbed.

Lacy and Waldron. That was Lacy's thing: duets with piano. He recorded with Gil Evans, Micheal Smith and Ulrich Gumpert in that format, but it was his assoication with Mal that developed beyond just another project. They were a working band, a special one, but on-going.

Lazaro - Thanks for that story. Somehow I missed it the first time around. I figure perhaps others did too, so I'm bringing it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found a copy of Hot House the other night, and with this being my first exposure to the Lacy-Waldron duos, I'm not sure if I'm entirely blown away by it, but I have no other work by them to compare it to. I do own the two Freelance disks with Marion Brown, and I like 'Songs of Love and Regret' quite a bit, with 'More' being almost as good. What should I seek out next, that's affordable and hopefully available?

Just found a copy of Hot House the other night, and with this being my first exposure to the Lacy-Waldron duos, I'm not sure if I'm entirely blown away by it, but I have no other work by them to compare it to. I do own the two Freelance disks with Marion Brown, and I like 'Songs of Love and Regret' quite a bit, with 'More' being almost as good. What should I seek out next, that's affordable and hopefully available?

Lots of good suggestions if you read this thread. CD Universe has several in stock. Cadence usually has some also, but I was planning on ordering one of the Soul Note Duos and the duo on Slam yesterday, and found that both were temporarily out of stock. Cadence does have Communique (Soul Note) and I Remember Thelonious (NEL Jazz), one I'm not familiar with.

I like a lot of the Waldron-Lacy recordings. But I have a strong preference for Waldron with a good rhythm section. I love the way that Mal drives into the drums and bass with those hypnotic lines and chords. Mal without a rhythm section is a different ballgame, and one that I am often less enthusiastic about.

For that reason, few of the duet recordings would make my list of favorite Mal Waldron (or Steve Lacy, for that matter). On the other hand, I absolutely love Hard Talk and One Upmanship.

Edited by John L

Yes, try Hard Talk and One-upmanship next.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to Communique. Excellent! I will have to get Sempre Amore and Live at Dreher next.

Guy

Jazzloft has Live at Dreher on sale. Forgot the price because the price isn't important. Not to oversell it, but $29, $45, it doesn't matter. You'll be glad you bought it for whatever. Ah hell, I've probably now put even higher expectations on it, but by the 2nd play if not the 1st, you'll know you have something that you'll be enjoying/exploring for the rest of your life. Okay, downshift expectations just a tad & order it, and enjoy the hell out it!

Guest donald petersen

g_D, the steve lacy sans waldron free america CD makes me want to end all sound forever but the waldron/lacy album is very enjoyable and excellent.