Just in case you forgot how bad he really was!!!

I picked up the box a couple of weeks ago, but Christmas music pre-empted my listening of it. I'll probably have more to add later, but I'm really digging the medium-sized groups, especially the ones with Gene Ammons. Having three takes of "Blues Up and Down" with the great Jo Jones on drums is just a little slice of heaven! :tup

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

especially the ones with Gene Ammons. Having three takes of "Blues Up and Down" with the great Jo Jones on drums is just a little slice of heaven! :tup

Oh. I thought this was a bop box. Have I lost the plot? What box are we talking about?

I NEED something with ALL the early Ammons/Stitt material all neatly together.

MG

Duh! Just read on the German amazon site the release date was postponed to January 30 ...... <_<

902481.jpg

p.s. I'm not gonna wait this long! CD Universe offers it at $ 23.19 - what am I waiting for? :) Use the search link at the top of the page and hit it, folks!

Edited by mikeweil

especially the ones with Gene Ammons. Having three takes of "Blues Up and Down" with the great Jo Jones on drums is just a little slice of heaven! :tup

Oh. I thought this was a bop box. Have I lost the plot? What box are we talking about?

MG

Yeah, seeing Jo Jones name on a bebop box does seem a little strange, but lemme tellya, he MORE than holds his own!

MG

Yeah, seeing Jo Jones name on a bebop box does seem a little strange, but lemme tellya, he MORE than holds his own!

Yes, I've got quite a bit of that stuff on the other side of "Woofin' & tweetin'". I didn't realise it had been included in this Bop box.

MG

• 4 weeks later...
Guest youmustbe

Billy Root told me a story...Sonny loved to battle, and this one time in Philly, Billy brings in Mel 'Ziggy' Vines and Mel 'cuts' Sonny...Sonny is furious and tells Billy ...'Don't EVER! bring that ofay motherfucker near me again!'

Billy told me that as far as he knows that was the only time somebody was able to 'cut' Sonny in a battle.

Billy Root told me a story...Sonny loved to battle, and this one time in Philly, Billy brings in Mel 'Ziggy' Vines and Mel 'cuts' Sonny...Sonny is furious and tells Billy ...'Don't EVER! bring that ofay motherfucker near me again!'

Billy told me that as far as he knows that was the only time somebody was able to 'cut' Sonny in a battle.

Someone from Baltimore may well mention Mickey Fields.

MG

I bought Stitt's Bits box and am digging it. The booklet talks about some 1970s recordings on Cobblestone. Have these been re-issued? If so on what label, are they in print, etc. Thanks.

The two Cobblestone dates were reissued on Muse and 32 Jazz.

These are definitely worth looking for! (The 32 Jazz release paired them on one disc!)

Universal Europe had announced to have the box out on January 30, and they kept their promise: That very same day the store left a message on my answering box that I could pick it up. (Once I was there they told me they had ordered ten copies but got only two! I had been wise to pre-order ...) I took the opportunity today when I was in Frankfurt for other business and got it.

Great stuff - prime Stitt. Nice essay, and a comprehensive collection - I appreciate it very much that even the Stitt band and vocal tracks where Stitt plays baritone are included. (Even though that diminishes my hope for a Gene Ammons box ......). Good job by by the Fantasy/Concord crew.

902481.jpg

Edited by mikeweil