Paul Dunmall

Hot Ptah

ProfoundSoundOpusDeLifeCover.jpg

I haven't been able to get into this one. Something about it grates on me. I don't like the bad sound, for one, or the pervasive audience noise. But I also just don't hear Dunamll click with the Americans. The ones I've heard that I really like are the Mujicians, Ghostly Thoughts, Babu Trio & Sextet on SLAM, Remembrance with Elton Dean, Deep Joy on DUNS, and the duos with Tony Bianco.

I think about half of the Brit contingent of this board were at the concert this line-up did at Cheltenham some years back. Though we never spoke to one another!

I haven't been able to get into this one. Something about it grates on me. I don't like the bad sound, for one, or the pervasive audience noise. But I also just don't hear Dunamll click with the Americans. The ones I've heard that I really like are the Mujicians, Ghostly Thoughts, Babu Trio & Sextet on SLAM, Remembrance with Elton Dean, Deep Joy on DUNS, and the duos with Tony Bianco.

I think about half of the Brit contingent of this board were at the concert this line-up did at Cheltenham some years back. Though we never spoke to one another!

Good old British politeness. Couldn't possibly have imposed, Old Chap :) I'm also not overly fond of that trio date. The gig, however, was great

Edited by mjazzg

Good old British politeness. Couldn't possibly have imposed, Old Chap :) I'm also not overly fond of that trio date. The gig, however, was great

I was at that concert too, at Clemente Soto Velez, NYC, during Vision Festival, and loved the performance then, and the disc now. It was staggeringly hot and very crowded that night in the hall; hard to believe that they got a usable recording out of it, but it does serve to document an exciting performance.

• 2 weeks later...

R-2777054-1300609674.jpeg.jpgR-2541613-1428507882-9742.jpeg.jpg

Been listening to these over the last week or so.

The second is a single disc recorded in the studio in 1989 and 1993. As the title suggests this has a strong 'folk' (using the term in its widest sense) feel. Mainly short tracks (nothing longer than about 6 minutes), some overdubbing. Reminds me in places of John Surman's solo ventures into that area. Distinct themes though exciting improvisations too.

The first is a collection of mid-90s concerts, using some of the themes from 'Folks' but broadening them out with more extemporisation. Fabulous stuff and you get bagpipes too! 

If you want to hear a thrilling example of Dunmall on bagpipes, go to 40 minutes in here:

I was there !  Wasn't that the same day that Henry G. did 'Jazz Library'?

Edited by sidewinder

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

In a recent review on an Elton Dean record, FJC mentions that "One of his [Dean's] best known groups came in the 1980s and ’90s, with Paul Dunmall, Paul Rogers, and Tony Levin".

We don't appear to have an Elton Dean thread so I thought I'd put this here. 

What record(s) is the reviewer referring to here? 

Whilst I'm at it, where would you start with Mujician?

Start anywhere with Musician, all the albums are very high quality. if you want a title then 'Poem about a hero' should see you right

Can't think of that Dean band off the top of my head, will have a think.

Quick Discogs search turns up these but not a lot else, couple of duo albums and a sax quartet. Perhaps it went unrecorded

https://www.discogs.com/release/2779642-Elton-Dean-Quintet-Silent-Knowledge

https://www.discogs.com/release/2314796-Elton-Dean-Paul-Dunmall-Tony-Levin-2-Paul-Rogers-2-Roswell-Rudd-Keith-Tippett-Bladik

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Birdman & Colours Fulfilled are among the best 2 free jazz records ever made.

I was hoping Steve would chime in. I've been thinking a bit more about it and would mention Spacetime, I think, which stands out on contrast as it had a number of shorter tracks. Not better just different.

All my CDs are boxed at the moment so I can't check, sorry