Box set playlists

I've been finding that while I like the concept of box sets and often enjoy the savings over buying all of the individual CDs, the shear size of many of the sets makes the thought of breaking them out a little overwhelming. I have slowly but surely been ripping my CDs to my computer using a lossless format and I would like to create playlists from my box sets to break them down into the original releases. Any previously unreleased material I could put in a separate playlist.

Is there a simple/fast way to figure out which original CDs/LPs are covered by the set and then find the original order of tracks? I guess the booklets accompanying the sets will provide a discography, but the tracks are often in chronological order rather than in the order they were initially released. Aside from going to allmusic and looking up each individual album, is there a quick way to do this?

I often go to allmusic.com for this, but it's not always correct. I then post in discography right here on Organissimo to confirm. No matter how rare an LP, SOMEONE on Organissimo has a copy :)

One of my several pet peeves about box sets is that they never give the original track order. It would not take up much space in the booklets.

If the record you want is on jazzdiscography.com. they have track listings there.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I often go to allmusic.com for this, but it's not always correct. I then post in discography right here on Organissimo to confirm. No matter how rare an LP, SOMEONE on Organissimo has a copy :)

One of my several pet peeves about box sets is that they never give the original track order. It would not take up much space in the booklets.

If the record you want is on jazzdiscography.com. they have track listings there.

Bertrand.

Thanks, Bertrand. Appreciate the info on jazzdiscography.com.

I agree -- it would not be difficult or expensive at all to list the original track order in the booklets.