repairing a broken cassette tape

slide_advantage_redoux

I was going through some old cassettes, and I came across a gig tape made of a band I was in back in college. It was recorded on a budget cassette (it has a stamped shell rather than the higher quality tyoe that is held together with screws).

At aby rate, when I played it on the stereo, it sounded amazingly good for 30 years old. Then at the end of side one, the tape got caught up in the machine. I recovered it, but the tape needs to be spliced.

Are there people that repair cassettes? I would like to get this baby spliced back together so I can save it to digital format.

I live in the Dallas area. Maybe if I called around the studios? Any ideas?

Jim's right. It's pretty easy.

My tapes used to come out

with some of it outside the crossbars

on the shell and so I usually had to

break open the shell and transplant

it all to a new shell.

If you bring it over I may be able to

transfer it to CDR for you.

Rod

Edited by rostasi

Jim's right. It's pretty easy.

My tapes used to come out

with some of it outside the crossbars

on the shell and so I usually had to

break open the shell and transplant

it all to a new shell.

If you bring it over I may be able to

transfer it to CDR for you.

Rod

Thanks Rod. I'll be in touch soon. I drive by White Rock lake once a week at least.

• 1 year later...

Rod,

I am in Dallas and noticed your post. I have an audio cassette that got caught in my car player. This is a tape I recorded from and old wire recorder that is of my grand dad playing the piano some 50 years ago. I can't get the tape to play in anything now and probably need to transfer it to a new case. Something you think you can do? Email is dfwjeep2001@yahoo.com or call me at (edited by moderator for privacy concerns). Would appreciate any help with this.

Lanny

Lanny - I edited out your phone # out of concern for your privacy. If you want to restore it, feel free, but if it really is your personal phone #, please consider sending Rod a PM with this information instead of posting it publicly.

Apologies if this offends, just trying to keep the "bad guys" of the internet at bay here as much as possible. Hope you understand.