"2 LPs on 1 CD" sets that should've been

Kyo

Didn't quite know where to place this thread but since the subject could also read

"2 LP on 1 CD reissues", I just went for this sub-forum. :)

I'm far from an "original LP content" purist (gimme those bonus tracks!) and quite often

I like to create my own 2-sessions-on-1-CD-R combos. This is particularly useful "on the road"

so I don't have to take as many individual discs with me. Here are a few of my favorites that

I feel make a lot of sense. Anyone else do the same? If yes, please post further suggestions! :)

* Elvin Jones - Puttin' it Together/The Ultimate

Two trio sessions with Jimmy Garrison and Joe Farrell. I don't understand why Mosaic split

the second session over two discs on their Elvin set (which I got last week, thanks take5b! :))

* Jimmy Heath - The Quota/Thriple Threat

Two sextet dates with the same lineup (but recorded 9 months apart). Freddie Hubbard,

Julius Watkins, Cedar Walton, Percy Heath, Tootie Heath. Good stuff!

* Dexter Gordon - Go!/A Swingin' Affair

Same lineup, recorded just a day or two apart.

* Shelly Manne and His Men - At Shelly's Manne-Hole Vol. 1 + 2

A no-brainer. Maybe next time.

* Eric Dolphy - Conversations/Iron Man

I keep seeing these issued on their own or as a combo but with a track or two missing.

They both fit onto one CD nicely.

* Eric Dolphy - The Complete Five Spot sessions with Booker Little

OK, this is actually a 2CD set. If I remember correctly I had to leave off one alternate

take, no big deal. The material here was issued spread over at least four albums. I have

a feeling that Concorde is going to correct this mistake pretty soon.

and my final combo which some will probably regard as sacrilege:

* Miles Davis - Kind of Blue/'58 Sessions featuring Stella by Starlight

The '58 studio date produced just 30 minutes of music so it makes sense to

combine it with another session to fill up the CD. The original Kind of Blue (without

the alternate Flamenco Sketches) fits just fine.

Edited by Kyo

Oe important factor is, would the two LPs fit onto one CD. I hate it when one track is left off. Fantasy were particularly loathesome at that. If you have to leave out a cut, it makes more sense to issue the two LPs on separate CDs. So, my list contains only those combinations that I think would fit.

Paul Bryant - Somethin's happenin'/Groove time - two great sessions recorded for Fantasy, both featuring Plas Johnson.

Johnny Lytle - The soulful Rebel/People and love - both recorded for Milestone. People and love contains two masterpies.

Jimmy McGriff - Black pearl (Blue Note)/Junior Parker & Jimmy McGriff - Chicken fried soul (UA) - though there's no precise date to either session, both were recorded live at Jimmy's own Newark club The Silver Slipper, and the band's personnel is identical. So I've always felt that they were recorded on the same evening.

Odell Brown & the Organizers - Raisin' the roof/Mellow yellow - two great Cadet albums by one of the unsungest organ groups.

The Three Souls - Dangerous Dan Express/The Three Souls - another unsung organ band from Chicago, recorded by Cadet.

Baby Face Willette - Mo' Rock/Behind the 8 Ball - I think Willette's Argo material was even better than his BN stuff, fabulous though that was.

Sam Lazar - Playback/Soul merchant - I reckon both of these two are much better than the celebrated "Space flight", which had the disadvantage of Willie Dixon's unnecessary bass (though the advantage of GG on guitar). Even so, these are both beautiful albums. I LOVE Sam Lazar.

Bill Hardman - Home/Politely - two excellent sessions done for Muse.

Reuben Wilson - The sweet life/The Cisco Kid - these were actually reissued by Groove Merchant on a twofer double LP.

Clifford Scott - Plays the big ones/Lavender sax - doesn't sound very promising, but there's real playing on these.

Les McCann & Teddy Edwards - It's about time/Les McCann & Clifford Scott - Out front - two great sax players accompanied by the Ltd.

Les McCann - At Shelley's Manne-hole/At Bohemian Caverns - two under-appreciated live albums les recorded for Limelight.

PLUS

I want a Freddie McCoy box with all 7 of his Prestige LPs

AND

A Billy Larkin & the Delegates box with all 8 of their Aura/World Pacific LPs.

(Don't want much, do I?)

MG

Off the top of my head I would certainly add Mingus "Changes One & Two"

These won't fit on one CD unless you leave off one track (the total playing time for both albums is 87:40).

I guess it would make most sense to leave off the long instrumental version of Duke Ellington's

Sound of Love since there's a shorter one (with vocals) on the other disc. That way it'd work.

But generally I'm with The Magnificent Goldberg here: No tracks should be left behind. :)

Funny enough it was a bunch of those Fantasy twofer reissues (most with missing tracks)

that made me think of this thread originally. I wish they'd release a compilation with all

those leftover tracks or at least put them on emusic.com.

Intriguing idea for a thread. I like a lot of Kyo's and TMG's suggestions. Right now all I can think of is Louis Smith's two BN albums on one disc: Here Comes Louis Smith/Smithville. Haven't computed playing times, but I'd be surprised if these added up to more than 80 minutes.

As for "2 on 1" CD's that have already been done, I'm particularly thankful to 32 Jazz for 'single-discing' two of Sonny Stitt's best albums, Tune Up and Constellation. Of course, it's out of print now, but still... And perhaps my favorite Benny Carter CD (which is saying a lot) is the Verve reissue "3,4,5"---two albums and 3 bonus tracks. (The trio album has Carter playing with Teddy Wilson and Jo Jones; does it get any better than that?)

Then there's the wonderful Stuff Smith double-disc set from a few years back that is in effect "3 LP's on 2CD's." For a while Verve was cranking out several of these "3 on 2" sets...And there's Sonny Criss: The Complete Imperial Sessions, an essential 3 on 2...but maybe we shouldn't get into that right now. :)

Edited by BruceH

Right now all I can think of is Louis Smith's two BN albums on one disc: Here Comes Louis Smith/Smithville. Haven't computed playing times, but I'd be surprised if these added up to more than 80 minutes.

There are two more very fine tunes from Smithville. That rules out (hopefully) a 2 on 1 disc.

Just checked and the 2 issues lps won't fit anyway.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

A few years ago, I had suggested the idea of putting together the left out tracks to Fantasy's archivist Stuart Kremsky. I even started a thread here to try to get a list, which I sent to him. I also suggested tossing in some extra tracks that were not on LPs and didn't make it to the CDs either (e.g. 'Here's Bill' from Larry Young's Groove Street and 'Remembrance' from Bobby Timmons' Soul Man - which he said was actually a piano solo).

Under the new regime, I doubt my idea will be implemented.

Bertrand.

A few years ago, I had suggested the idea of putting together the left out tracks to Fantasy's archivist Stuart Kremsky. I even started a thread here to try to get a list, which I sent to him. I also suggested tossing in some extra tracks that were not on LPs and didn't make it to the CDs either (e.g. 'Here's Bill' from Larry Young's Groove Street and 'Remembrance' from Bobby Timmons' Soul Man - which he said was actually a piano solo).

Under the new regime, I doubt my idea will be implemented.

Bertrand.

I wouldn't be so sure, after all they seem to be looking for ways to re-package their

material in smarter ways (see the new Miles set and the upcoming Coltrane box).

And they seem to like compilations (like the Profiles discs). Just come up with a

good name for this ("The Lost Treasures" or something) and there you go! :)

How big was your list back then in terms of total playing time?

I never went as deep as figuring out the playing time, but with the never-before-issued tracks, it was definitely more than one CD.

The thing that drove me nuts with the old Fantasy was the way they put together the two Mobley Prestige dates. To fit them on one CD, they left out 'Alternating Current'. What they should have done is leave out 'Au Privave' and add it to 4, 5 and 6 as a bonus cut. Therefore, the two tracks with McLean (the other is 'Confirmation') would have been together, and all the other Mobley cuts would be present. A person buying 4, 5 and 6 and the Mobley two-fer would have all the material.

Since the 4,5 and 6 20-bit is going OOP, is an RVG in the works? We could still call them and suggest it if they also intend to reissue the Mobley. It may not be too late.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Jimmy Wood's Awakening and Joe Gordon's Looking Good: two rare birds of a feather that fit perfectly on one CD.

That would be almost 83 minutes.

Damn! Missed "perfect" by a mere 4 minutes.

Why couldn't the producer have been visionary enough to warn Wood and Gordon of the 80-minute constraint of the coming CD age?

Edited by John L

I was a little surprised that the Free America series didn't do at least a few combos...

The tracks from Uhuru na Umoja could've been paired with the same date's tracks from Space Dimension, just removing the lone excerpt of "Church Number Nine" (who knows exactly where that fragment came from; not the Calumet and not the Odeon). Also, Shepp's Coral Rock and the "Uhuru" jam from Pitchin' Can would've made a fine single disc, especially since they too were recorded at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

How 'bout albums inexplicably paired? :crazy::g

I'd nominate this one:

B00004X0U0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Especially since the Lateef session was already available bundled with another

album of his (Suite 16). It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Oh wait,

it does - now I get it! These two albums fit on one CD! There's your reason.

No, wait - that's not it. After all it doesn't seem to be much of a requierement

for their 2-in-1 combos. An excellent example would be this:

B00000J7W0.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Not only are the two extra tracks from Corea's Tones session missing -

that would be understandable insofar as that they weren't on the original LP -,

they also had to leave off a short track from the Vitous disc.

THEN WHY BUNDLE THOSE TWO ALBUMS TO BEGIN WITH?! :crazy:

But hey, it could always be worse. If the first combo had been reissued by Lonehill Jazz, it would

probably be called "Shirley Scott/Yusef Lateef - The Complete Bernard Purdie Sessions". :rofl:

Today I came up with another good 2-on-1 combo - the two Prestige

sessions that feature Coltrane with Kenny Burrell and Tommy Flanagan

fit nicely onto one CD and make for some great back-to-back listening! :)

Edited by Kyo