New Mosaic Selects for May Release

I don't see anything on their web site.  Tod, did they email you about this.  I didn't get anything.  Any chance, you or someone else could post what they sent to you.  So much for being a good customer.

Brad, that was a reply to an email that I sent to Mosaic and that's pretty much all the info that they gave me, the titles of forthcoming Selects, news about the Mulligan Concert Band Mosaic and that they will be releasing the new Teagarden Mosaic at the end of next week. See, you don't have to buy 25 Mosaics at a whack for them to answer your e-mails! ;)

The Green will be really tempting . I already have the "45s session" TOCJ and the "Soul Stirrin" Conn. so only 2 and a bit LPs worth of unfamiliar material. Having said that what I have already is some of the happiest swinging hardbop I have. It has a really good "feel good" factor about it. The Weston I am less sure about, I have the Roulette CD (African Hi Life and another session). The wacked out tourist trip to Africa of the first session does little for me. Not sure if these sessions are indicative of the quality of the rest though. Opinions?

I'll definitely get the Weston. I have nothing by him. After all these years, I'm still amazed how little I have. :wacko:

I have Soul Stirrin and Back on the Scene of the Green material. I'll have to wait and see on that one.

Man, here I go again... learning about jazz. I'm not familiar with Randy Weston or Bennie Green. I was concerned, when the BNBB was brought down, that my outlet for jazz learning might be hindered. But, no. B)

No chance of that! Having collected stamps and coins as a kid, I always expect the "want list" to shrink as I acquire more. I'm beginning to understand that jazz doesn't work that way. It seems like your want list doubles in size overnight if you don't buy any music. If you do buy some, then it triples...

I'd not rule out the Weston so quickly, Kevin. I understand that the "Uhuru etc" vibe is not for everybody, but Weston has produced a significant body of work that, besides drawing on African motifs, also extends the musical concepts of Ellington & Monk in a profoundly distinctive fashion, and if this new MS hits on some of those works, you might find yourelf pleasantly surprised.

I'm sorta with Kevin of "Afrika/Highlife" - I like one of the sessions a lot, but not so much the other (though i forget which is which).

But I have some of the UA sessions on that old BN double LP from the 70s and think that it's very good - and quite a bit different from "Afrika/Highlife."

While I don't like everything that Weston's done, I am looking forward to this Select box.

Ray

According to my notes, this is what Michael told me about these two Mosaic Selects:

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Bennie Green – 3 CDs

All three of his albums as a leader ("Back On The Scene", "Soul Stirrin'" & "Walkin' and Talkin'"), the 45s session plus the parts of Ike Quebec's "Easy Living" that Bennie Plays on (the sextet stuff)

Randy Weston – 3 CDs

2 United Artists albums "Live at the 5 Spot" & "Little Niles" (the album "Destry Rides Again" will not be included per Randy’s request)

2 Roulette albums (one unissued)

"Piano a La Mode" from the Jubilee label

"African Highlife" from the Colpix label

Later,

Kevin

Hmmm, now that I've seen the setlist, the Bennie Green may go on the back burner for me. The only thing I'm lacking is "Back on the Scene," though i only have a CR-R of the "45 Sessions." Still, I like this stuff so much....

The Weston, especially with the unreleased session, looks better all the time. While I have some of this material on LP, the only one i have on CD is "Afrika/Highlife."