Sept 12th RVGs

mgraham333

Donald Byrd - Off to the Races

Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay

Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings

Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance

Lee Morgan - City Lights

Horace Silver - Doin' The Thing At The Village Gate

FYI - a couple of these showed a 9/26 date in one part of the CDU site, so that could end up being the release date.

Use the links above to support Organissimo.

(Remember don't visit CDU by going there directly within 24 hours, otherwise the link doesn't count)

Edited by mgraham333

I read this is supposed to have a bonus track. Too bad there's no

tracklisting available yet. Does anyone know anything about this?

The 1988, US issue had an alternate of Cool Eyes (3:50) and It Ain't S'Posed To Be Like That (6:21) added to the program.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

"Here To Stay" has to be one of the most anticipated RVGs in a long time (well, next to "Basra", "Wahoo", etc ...).

I've got the domestic version, and I definitely plan to buy the "louder" RVG, even though I believe the sound quality of these remasterings may not be any better.

Anyone interested in my older version?

The 1988, US issue had an alternate of Cool Eyes (3:50) and It Ain't S'Posed To Be Like That (6:21) added to the program.

Cool, thanks! I got rid of my Japanese edition (no bonus tracks) a couple of months ago (for various reasons), good to see it turned out to be a smart move after all. :D

With the exception of Off to the Races, which I already have in the Mosaic, I’m gonna be getting every title in this batch. If I didn’t have the Mosaic, then I really would be getting every title. Man, this has been a helluva year for RVG’s!

• 1 month later...

Picked up Here to Stay, Happenings, and Off to the Races.

I A/B'd my Happenings BN Works TOCJ with the RVG. I've never bothered upgrading any of my imports to RVG masterings, but I thought I'd try this one. I think I like the Japanese import better. To my ears, the TOCJ has better stereo separation. I'll have tocheck it out once more before I decide which copy to dump.

A lot of larger record shops (e.g., Amoeba) pick up the foreign RVGs. I got a copy of Basra at the Amoeba in SF last spring (CP'd, but not enough of a hassle for me to really care).

I got a CP'd Basra really cheaply through eBay, cheap enough (even including postage from the UK) that I was willing to put up with the CP.

I have all of these, mosaics and otherwise. Here to Stay is real good. Philly Joe is top rate on this as usual. The Lee Morgan is on his out of print Mosaic. Everything by him, even his younger day stuff, is worthwhile. The Donald Byrd is part of his mosaic. He was at his playing peak at those days, (atleast as evidenced by the recordings) in my opinion. The Silver is real hot and has a lot of energy. The Hutcherson is without horns and is excellant. I don't recall the McLean. I assume its the later part of his Blue Note period. Considering all his reissues the last couple of years, I would make sure you get the rest of his mid 60s output (from the Mosaic), which is superhot.

Honestly, I don't want to unearth burning embers from the past, but I think they JRVG of Demon's Dance sounds pretty good with polarity reversed on the speaker cables (one end only). There are many early JRVGs that I listen to that way.

Jeez, Lon. That kind of talk brings back memories!