Green Street

kenny weir

I own quite a few Grant Green albums and albums on which he plays, but far from all.

Until quite recently I would have named Idle Moments as his greatest recording.

Fine as it is, though, it is more of ensemble thing, with Green sharing the limelight with others, particularly Joe Henderson.

Green Street has been on very high rotation at our joint for a few weeks now. I just love it to pieces.

The sound is just so big and warm and open.

The interplay with Ben Dixon and Dave Bailey is subtle yet swigning and ON.

Is the Standards album as good?

I'm looking forward to Grandstand.

Grant Green was one of those incredibly consistent musicians.

My personal favorite is "Street of Dreams," but there are many others that are great as well.

To name a few: "Solid," "I Wanna Hold your Hand," "Born to be Blue," "Complete quartets with Sonny Clark," "Matador," "Grantstand," "Talking Bout." The list is endless.

Grant Green

Hoooooo doggie, where to start. Or perhaps more importantly, where to stop (though conventional wisdom would surely say, "About 1969")!

I fluctuate between Solid and Idle Moments as my favs so far. Anything he did with John Patton or Larry Young is also strong!!!! Not to mention the Sonny Clark sides...aww hell!!! Beautiful stuff.

GREEN STREET is a mighty fine album, that's for sure. I find that I dig Grant's playing on standards a lot, moreso that "original" material. Love those versions of "Round Midnight" and "Alone Together". So for me, I guess the COMPLETE QUARTETS WITH SONNY CLARK is my "favorite" Green, at least of what I've heard. That STANDARDS album is high on my list of stuff to get.

I'm with Rooster Ties, SOLID is my favorite Green - I sure wish he would have played in that bag and in that kind of company (and on those types of tunes) more often. After that, TALKIN' ABOUT and the other dates with Larry Young are next on my list - a match made in heaven, with Elvin on TALKIN' giving that one just a little more edge ("I'm an Old Cowhand" - ah, give me that one on the proverbial desert island).

And then next for me are the dates with Sonny Clark, and then IDLE MOMENTS, MATADOR, and GOIN' WEST. All this is desert island material for me. The rest are all great - GREEN STREET, STANDARDS, GRANTSTAND, SUNDAY MORNIN', FEELIN' THE SPIRIT, BLUES FOR LOU, and his later years material - but not at quite the level of the "first grouping" for me.

I enjoy GREEN STREET, very fine stuff, but honestly it's a little TOO open and spare for my liking, to the point of being a little on the boring side. Green has great ideas and plays well, but the accompaniment borders on the metronomic, and because Green is so much into the single-note style, I long for a little more filling in with some well-placed chords. STANDARDS lacks even the edge GREEN STREET has - again enjoyable, I listen to it quite often, but it's not up to the same standard as GREEN STREET and neither would top my personal fave list.

Prediction: when GOIN' WEST comes out in a remastered version, that one is gonna move toward the top of a lot of lists. Superb. Like an even better execution of the type of thing they went for on FEELIN' THE SPIRIT (with Country in place of spirituals).

But then again, to me Green never made a truly bad album. I even enjoy the later BNs (with GREEN IS BEAUTIFUL a personal fave).

Edited by DrJ

Another good one, IMHO, with Elvin and Larry on board (and Hank Mobley), is I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND. Sure, some might want to write it off because of the more pop-oriented title track, but there's some damn fine playing by all of the musicians. They do a version of "Stella by Starlight" also, which is one of my favorite tunes. :tup:tup:tup

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I wouldn't say it's his best, but I listened to it yesterday for the first time in a few years and it's pretty darn good. Grant's limitations as a guitarist are a little more exposed than usual in this setting, but the music turned out excellent in the end.

Guy

• 1 month later...

Just listened to Street of Dreams again, as promised. Nice record, but with that instrumental line-up and the tunes they play, it all sounds a bit too "loungey" for peak flavor, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong. Those are GREAT players and that is ONE HIP LOUNGE; and if it was in my neighborhood I would be a regular.

Still, I'll stick with Idle Moments, which is simply a great record, and an undersung one to boot.

Edited by Kalo