The Descent

sal

Anyone check this out yet?

Saw it this past weekend and loved it! One of the few horror movies in recent memory to actually generate and sustain real tension for an extended amount of time. One of my biggest gripes about horror films of recent years (other than the fact that so few are rated R) is that they seem to rely too heavily on the "made you jump" types of scares so typical in the 80's slasher movies. While "The Decent" does use these at times, it never relies on them....it actually creates a real feeling of dread established by the story and claustrophobic atmosphere. DEFINITELY not a movie for kids. Lots of gore (but never used just for the sake of using it) and some very disturbing images. Fans of the horror genere need to check this one out.

edit: correction for stupid spelling error

Edited by sal

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Jim Emerson gave a good review:

"The Descent" -- what a great title. This British horror-thriller recalls grueling, adrenaline-pumping classics like "Deliverance," "Jaws," "Alien" and "Dead Calm." It's that good. Finally, a scary movie with teeth, not just blood and entrails -- a savage and gripping piece of work that jangles your nerves without leaving your brain hanging. And so, for a change, you emerge feeling energized and exhilarated rather than enervated, or merely queasy...

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EVIEWS/60724004

I watched it a few weeks ago on DVD and was pleasantly suprised. For a while though I was expecting the threat to come from just being underground and in darkness; nothing so benign I'm afraid... :o

For someone who hates being in a confined space (my idea of bliss is a long, deserted road) and detests the thought of ever having to be in this situation (why people do it for fun is beyond me) the movie had me on edge in the first 15 minutes. I do though, think it'd be better on the big screen.

Watch it with an open mind.

Saw this last night and it was a bit of a letdown considering the hype. Not a bad movie—there are a lot of good elements here (ie. good suspense, nice to have a movie with women who are active, not passive)—but it could have been so much better (I don’t want to give away spoilers).

But since so much Hollywood horror sucks, when a movie that isn’t shite comes along, I can see why people tend to rave about them.

Worth a look, for sure, but this ain’t a classic...

Also, the U.S. version has a different ending than the original U.K. release.

I saw it Saturday and I liked it a lot. Suspenseful, but not an excess of blood and gore, with real attention paid to the story(What a concept!Tell a story!) and the characters. Horror as a genre has become dreadful, a series of flying guts and fancy killing, designed more to gross you out than scare you. 'The Descent' brings you more into the fear of what will happen next- I had a major case of the creeps when watching this one.

The act of filming alone had to be difficult, what with the tight angles and small spaces the women were in when exploring the cave.