"A Cannonball Adderley Presentation"

Kyo

EDIT: It seems the subtitle of the thread has disappeared during some forum software update.

I think it was something along the lines of "which albums were part of this series?"

So far I have these:

• James Clay & David "Fathead" Newman - The Sound of Wide Open Spaces
  • Don Wilkerson - The Texas Twister
  • The Mangione Brothers Sextet - The Jazz Brothers
  • Clifford Jordan - Spellbound
Edited by Kyo

Cannon produced these, and I think they're all in the series

GORDON DEXTER The Resurgence of Dexter Oct 13,1960 Jazzland 929

JFK Quintet New Jazz Frontiers from Washington July 17 1961 Riverside 396

JOHNSON BUD The Four Brass Giants Aug 22 ,1960 Riverside 343

JONES SAM Down Home Aug 15,1962 Riverside 432

MORGAN DICK At the Showboat May 04,1960 Riverside 1183

McBROWN LENNIE Eastern Lights Oct 13 ,1960 Riverside 346

SERRANO PAUL Blues Holiday Nov 8 ,1960 Riverside 359

• 9 years later...

Just going through this list again. Has it really been 10 years since I first posted my question? Haha!

Anyway, I checked my CD copy of Sam Jones's Down Home and it doesn't have "A Cannonball Adderley Presentation" anywhere, even though Cannonball is listed as one of two producers. And while I don't have the single CD for the Dexter Gordon release (only got the big box set), the LP covers I found online don't include the "Presentation" line, either. I think all other titles in this series were released under the Riverside umbrella while the Gordon was on Jazzland, so it's probably not part of the series. Since the Sam Jones was already his third album, he probably didn't need Adderley's name to promote his album - and Dexter Gordon certainly did not, either.

But I can definitely confirm the other titles listed above - The JFK Quintet, Budd Johnson, Roosevelt Wardell, Dick Morgan, Lennie McBrowne and Paul Serrano. The latter doesn't have the "A Cannonball Adderley Presentation" line on the cover, but it is present on the back cover.

Edited by Kyo

The Roosevelt Wardell side is a good one if you like checking out "fringe" players who speak the language with no new vocabulary but some personal inflections. The titles hint at a NOI consciousness being in the mix, so that perhaps focuses the music in a little different direction. Not overtly, but this is not another generic soulbophappyjazz piano trio record, it definitely has a little flavor of its own.

Our Good Friends At Fresh Sound have complied it with the Riverside output of Evans Bradshaw, who is perhaps not as "flavor-rich" as Mr. Wardell, but whose records also are pleasant to experience.