Organissimo Blindfold Test Poll

Dan Gould

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...

The question is unclear, and perhaps unfairly limited. It sounds like the first item on the ballot is to allow the listener to somehow choose what will be on their blindfold test CD. Perhaps you meant to say the user would choose the distribution media, but that wasn't clear. In order to vote for the second option you must also vote for a 6-10 track limitation over the compilers option to include as many tunes as they would like.

I have no problems with compiler and participant agreeing to a different distribution method than the norm. It is important that organissimo.org not participate in distribution. I would vote against any prior limitations on the compiler. I wouldn't object to an agreement that one board member listen to the disk for appropriateness and general interest before it is sent to everyone. We don't want press teams or devotees of other genres to have our street addresses just by asking.

The question is unclear, and perhaps unfairly limited.  It sounds like the first item on the ballot is to allow the listener to somehow choose what will be on their blindfold test CD.  Perhaps you meant to say the user would choose the distribution media, but that wasn't clear.  In order to vote for the second option you must also vote for a 6-10 track limitation over the compilers option to include as many tunes as they would like.

I have no problems with compiler and participant agreeing to a different distribution method than the norm.  It is important that organissimo.org not participate in distribution.  I would vote against any prior limitations on the compiler.  I wouldn't object to an agreement that one board member listen to the disk for appropriateness and general interest before it is sent to everyone.  We don't want press teams or devotees of other genres to have our street addresses just by asking.

Randy,

When this poll was started, the suggestion had been made that individuals submit a single tune to be compiled into a sort of joint blindfold test, rather than a single individual, like Tony J., choosing an entire CD worth. That was the purpose of this poll, and while few people participated, I think its obvious that the single-compiler system works best.

In option #2, I simply added what had been generally suggested, that we avoid overload by duplicating the approach of the magazine blindfold tests. The thought had been, will people sit for 80 minutes of music not of their choosing. Well, clearly, Tony ignored the limitation, if there had been one, by choosing 14 tunes for his disc. Myself, I expect to have fewer tunes, but I will still fill the disc. Basically, every blindfold test administrator will be free to do what he wants.

As to your point about "apprpriateness"-I don't think anyone needs to be "checking" on the selections anyone makes. Unless there are people here under false pretenses, I don't think there's any risk of "press teams" sending out something we don't want to hear. Administrators will choose subsequent administrators, and while that does mean that "friends" get chosen (and some, even many, will wait a long time to get the "call"), it also means that people will be chosen who already have their bona fides confirmed, through off-board or board interactions.

Last thing I'll say is that I continue to believe that CDR distribution is best because:

not everyone has broadband connections,

I think we should avoid downloads like the plague, even with some sort of anonymous FTP server

and most of all, because MP3 conversion can be problematic. Even assuming that everyone can rip MP3s, it could limit the selections people make to music that is already in digital form (i.e., what if you want to use a tune from a vinyl record but you can't hook up the turn table to the PC?)

I do believe that this first try has worked quite well, and that in the future we should encourage utilization of the Rooster/Jim R. method of posting links to suspected answers so as not to ruin things for subsequent participants.

Edited by Dan Gould