Choose the right one !

jbs-tom

picture this:

you got a new girl friend - inviting her home - she's looking at your huge cd/lp jazz collection - you asked her if she likes jazz ? - oh yes she said, kenny g. is great ! - which record/cd is the first you would play for her ?? (keeping in mind: she should stay and you are not selling your soul ...)

Edited by jbs-tom

picture this:

you got a new girl friend - inviting her home - she's looking at your huge cd/lp jazz collection - you asked her if she likes jazz ? - oh yes she said, kenny g. is great ! - which record/cd is the first you would play for her ?? (keeping in mind: she should stay and you are not selling your soul ...)

She wouldn't ever come home to see the collection, as jazz would have come up sooner and her true nature would have been revealed.

Don't sweat it. My wife didn't even know what jazz was... she thought it was Kenny G. She had no idea what a Hammond organ was (which is my life, basically). Love overcomes all that.

I was shocked when I accidentally ordered two copies of Cannonball's album with Bill Evans from that big Concord sale and she said, "Oh, I'll just take the extra one to work. I like Cannonball."

Being condescending about it doesn't do any good. If she said, "Oh yes, I love jazz. Kenny G is great." I would say, "Well, he's not really my kinda jazz. I prefer this..." and throw on some Stanley T!

Being condescending about it doesn't do any good. If she said, "Oh yes, I love jazz. Kenny G is great." I would say, "Well, he's not really my kinda jazz. I prefer this..." and throw on some Stanley T!

No, the correct response is, "He isn't jazz, he is instrumental pop. If you like it, fine, but it ain't jazz and never will be. I'd play you something that qualifies as jazz but it would make your putrid-tuned ears fall off."

Don't sweat it. My wife didn't even know what jazz was... she thought it was Kenny G. She had no idea what a Hammond organ was (which is my life, basically). Love overcomes all that.

I was shocked when I accidentally ordered two copies of Cannonball's album with Bill Evans from that big Concord sale and she said, "Oh, I'll just take the extra one to work. I like Cannonball."

oh yes, i think very often, people (not only women ;-) would like more "real" jazz, but they had never the chance to listen to !! (wrong boy friends ;-) ... on the radio you have only kenny & friends.

No, the correct response is, "He isn't jazz, he is instrumental pop. If you like it, fine, but it ain't jazz and never will be. I'd play you something that qualifies as jazz but it would make your putrid-tuned ears fall off."

uh, Dan? Are you married?

:D

Jim (and Jim up above) are completely right. I sort of feel sorry for anyone who'd put jazz above a loving relationship (or hell, even just sex) and reject any woman because of it. That, and I'd direct you to the "Are You a Jazz Snob" thread elsewhere on this board... :w

picture this:

Just play some Barry White and go for the kill, explain her later.

My wife never listened to music except as background before she met me. I married her because I loved her, not to have a listening buddy. These days though, sometimes I'll be playing a jazz record and she'll hear something in the music and have an intelligent coment to make about something that I've missed.

When we were dating, I'd usually play something in the bop or hardbop genre, and that would be fine with her.

uh, Dan? Are you married?

:D

Yes, to a woman who may prefer Def Leppard but had the good taste to know who Ella, Billie and Frank were. She may not love jazz but she does love music and therefore understands how a music lover could obtain as large a collection as I have. :wub:

i was told recently that the only decent song within all the noodlin from my room was horace silver's capeverdian blues (she sang it to illustrate...) (except for the saxophone solo..., I suppose she'd prefered Brew Moore instead of Joe Henderson - I can't decide but i think If i had the choice I'd take Henderson off that record and insert moore as well) (evidence is, that she liked cal tjader "latin kick" and (on my birthday) was content when I put in Moore's "If I had You" instead of Miles Davis "Collector's Items" (which she found too sad)))... it's complicated I'd say... it's not the greasier the better or the more ballads the better

i was told recently that the only decent song within all the noodlin from my room was horace silver's capeverdian blues (she sang it to illustrate...) (except for the saxophone solo..., I suppose she'd prefered Brew Moore instead of Joe Henderson - I can't decide but i think If i had the choice I'd take Henderson off that record and insert moore as well) (evidence is, that she liked cal tjader "latin kick" and (on my birthday) was content when I put in Moore's "If I had You" instead of Miles Davis "Collector's Items" (which she found too sad)))... it's complicated I'd say... it's not the greasier the better or the more ballads the better

woa! more parentheses than in a Rooster Tie post. and one too many to top it off!

:tup;)

d662341nv3f.jpg

jim you are a wise man!

people take note this cd is a deal closer!

;)

Yep. I got two copies on the shelf - one that I bought to learn some tunes back when it was new, and one that LTB bought for herself after she met me but before we moved in together. 'Nuff said.

Plus, it's a win-win from the musical end of the deal. Plenty of musical detail for me, plenty of relaxing seduction for her. And the cool thing is this - if she's the right woman (and for me she was), over time those roles can kinda reverse, Nothing wrong with that, let me tell you.

woa! more parentheses than in a Rooster Tie post. and one too many to top it off!

my (mathematics) typesetting program always complains about lost parentheses - seems like I got used to that :D

HA!HA! :lol: