The jazz quiz .....

mikeweil

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're waiting for the correct answer on Garbarek, I have a jazz question ABOUT a jazz question. Back in 1955-6, the speciality of one of the contestants on the hugely popular TV game show "The $64,000 Question" was jazz. I, of course, at age 13 or so, followed his progress toward the top with great curiosity and competiveness -- certain that I could blurt out the correct answers before he did. As I recall -- and here's where things get a bit blurry -- one of two things happened at, perhaps, the $32,000 level. The question was, "Who were the original 'Four Brothers?'" My memory is that either the contestant gave the wrong answer and was eliminated, or he gave the wrong answer and it was accepted as correct. In either case, What was the right answer? And -- for all the money now -- What was the incorrect answer? While, as I said above, I'm not sure whether the contestant's incorrect answer was accepted or rejected, I am sure what his incorrect answer was. You're in the isolation booth and have 60 seconds.

Correct answer:

Incorrect answer:

P.S. Yes, back in '55-'56, I got it right. Never bet against a adolescent jazz geek.

While we're waiting for the correct answer on Garbarek, I have a jazz question ABOUT a jazz question. Back in 1955-6, the speciality of one of the contestants on the hugely popular TV game show "The $64,000 Question" was jazz. I, of course, at age 13 or so, followed his progress toward the top with great curiosity and competiveness -- certain that I could blurt out the correct answers before he did. As I recall -- and here's where things get a bit blurry -- one of two things happened at, perhaps, the $32,000 level. The question was, "Who were the original 'Four Brothers?'" My memory is that either the contestant gave the wrong answer and was eliminated, or he gave the wrong answer and it was accepted as correct. In either case, What was the right answer? And -- for all the money now -- What was the incorrect answer? While, as I said above, I'm not sure whether the contestant's incorrect answer was accepted or rejected, I am sure what his incorrect answer was. You're in the isolation booth and have 60 seconds.

Correct answer:

Incorrect answer:

P.S. Yes, back in '55-'56, I got it right. Never bet against a adolescent jazz geek.

I'll guess Stan Getz, Zoot Sims, Herbie Steward, Serge Chaloff were correct.

Substitute Al Cohn for Steward for the incorrect.

p.s. I thought it had been established that Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis was Garbarek's favourite.

I knew some web wizard like couw would find those liners online!

Congrats! John, the next question is yours!

Norwegian Saxophonist Jan Garbarek once told me that every day he gets up and listens to Ben Webster and Johnny Hodges, and that his favorite saxophone player is Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis. I got such a kick out of that because, first of all, Garbarek is a totally different kind of player from those guys, and secondly, “Lockjaw” is Eddie Chamblee’s favorite too. To me, that just confirms my belief that content, or feeling transcends form, style, generational, and any other assumed or mythical boundaries. For me it’s never about styles, but it’s about trying to stay rooted and bring something personal to the music, whatever the context.

p.s. One has to know that Gordon played with Eddie Chamblee early in his career.

Edited by mikeweil

Hm, I think it's being mentioned in the liners to the 5LP Savoy box, no? I am sure I've read it somewhere.

Just looked it up there: "Bird prepared three of his finest and most sophisticated compositions - Chasin' the Bird, Donna Lee (named for Curly Russell's daughter) and Cheryl (named for Miles' daughter). His fourth original, Buzzy (named for Lubinsky's son), is a simple, but attractive riff blues." (from James Patrick's article on "The 1947-1948 Sessions" in said 5LP "Complete Savoy Studio Sessions" from 1978)